uniqs
nbinont
join:2011-03-13

1 edit

nbinont to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc

Re: Google DNS versus ours

said by mlord:

If there was a good way to let TSI know about it (specific site lookup failing), we'd probably do it.

There is - and we have told them. Many times. All we need is for someone from TSI to spend the time to diagnose. And yes, it does take time, as a good class of the problems with TSI's DNS servers are due to very slow DNS resolutions when the entry is not cached. If you test it when it is cached, it works great, but the initial cache is a disaster.
said by TSI Marc:

Like I mentioned, each time I hear somebody say our dns this or that.. I kind of scratch my head because I haven't seen a case where it was clearly our dns server at fault...

Look a bit harder:
»[Cable] Slow DNS resolution for site on Teksavvy
»Review of TekSavvy Cable by nbinont
»Teksavvy routing issues?

These are all DNS issues, despite the titles.

EDIT: I haven't tried the new servers yet.

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

The first one, he's using 192.168.1.1 as his DNS server, not ours, hence why it's not working.

The second one...it's hard to tell, it's just a review that hasn't really been looked at to begin with.

The third one, the guy had just updated his DNS records on his own server, we forced a refresh for him as a courtesy.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord

said by TSI Gabe:

The first one, he's using 192.168.1.1 as his DNS server, not ours, hence why it's not working.

That's probably his router, which probably IS using TSI's server. Very standard setup, that.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by mlord:

said by TSI Gabe:

That's probably his router, which probably IS using TSI's server. Very standard setup, that.

Gabe appears to have looked that one up at the time and wrote this later in the thread:

»Re: [Cable] Slow DNS resolution for site on Teksavvy

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar

Posted in the direct forum... no can read it...
nbinont

nbinont to mlord

to mlord
said by mlord:

said by TSI Gabe:

Yep - my router using TSI's DNS servers. Though asking TSI's DNS servers directly with dig shows the same problem.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to AkFubar

Premium Member

to AkFubar
oh. hahaha, that's funny. I see says the blind man!?

looks like the first and the last are actually one and the same.

if we had problems with the dns servers.. we'd have thousands of calls... just look at the rogers outtage recently.. that's what happened.
TSI Marc

TSI Marc to nbinont

Premium Member

to nbinont
said by nbinont:

said by mlord:

said by TSI Gabe:

Yep - my router using TSI's DNS servers. Though asking TSI's DNS servers directly with dig shows the same problem.

lets take a closer look see if we can figure out what's going on.
nbinont

nbinont to AkFubar

to AkFubar
said by AkFubar:

Posted in the direct forum... no can read it...

Sorry everyone - the problem occurs when the specific address is NOT in the TSI DNS cache. If I posted the site everyone here would check it out and TSI would not be able to see the effect on the first request. Hence the Direct forum post.

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
Are you saying this is still happening now?
nbinont

nbinont to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

said by mlord:

said by TSI Gabe:

Gabe appears to have looked that one up at the time and wrote this later in the thread:

Yes, but the first time I believe the dig command was was not going to the right server: »Re: [Cable] Slow DNS resolution for site on Teksavvy

And this problem happens regularly. but only on TSI. Very repeatable.
nbinont

nbinont to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
said by TSI Gabe:

Are you saying this is still happening now?

Yep, for the past 8 months. Everyday

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

K...honestly this is going to be hard to reproduce now that we are running other DNS servers...I guess keep me posted if it happens again and I'll take another look. Since right now I'm able to resolve those domains just fine.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to nbinont

Premium Member

to nbinont
k, I've asked Gabe to look into it more closely. I'm sure it's something logical we just need to find what it is.
nbinont

nbinont to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
said by TSI Gabe:

K...honestly this is going to be hard to reproduce now that we are running other DNS servers...I guess keep me posted if it happens again and I'll take another look. Since right now I'm able to resolve those domains just fine.

Thanks! I'll follow up and try to reproduce it.
nbinont

nbinont

said by nbinont:

said by TSI Gabe:

Thanks! I'll follow up and try to reproduce it.

Well, it seems like whatever Gabe did over the last week has fixed it for me! I verified that it was still acting up a few days ago (and it was), but tonight it seems to be resolving correctly the first time.

I waited for the cached entry to expire in TSI's DNS server, then asked it to resolve the site again. Last week it would fail a few times before finally getting something for the cache, and then be good until the cache expired again.

Tonight, after the cache expired it worked the first time. Waited for the cache to expire again (30 min expiry in this case), and tried again. Success again!

I assume I must be on one of Gabe's new DNS servers - and they seem to be working well!

Guess I'll have to go update my review...
Bugblndr
join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON

Bugblndr

Good news, time to change things up on my setup a bit and see for myself.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord to nbinont

to nbinont
said by TSI Marc:

Yes, but the first time I believe the dig command was was not going to the right server:

You do realize that only the originator (and TSI) can read threads in TSI Direct, right? Not the rest of us, so posting links to those threads doesn't help anyone here.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by mlord:

said by TSI Marc:

Yes, but the first time I believe the dig command was was not going to the right server:

You do realize that only the originator (and TSI) can read threads in TSI Direct, right? Not the rest of us, so posting links to those threads doesn't help anyone here.

yeah hehe AkFubar pointed that out to me too.. hehe I didn't realise at the time.. looks like nbinont's issue is solved now too. so it's all good