SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Gasonline cans recommendations

Are there any decent gas cans out there. I keep buying the plastic ones with the funny nozzle. The nozzle breaks in a week or two. I get the idea that this is suppose to reduce emissions but only when it's working. I'm reduced to using a funnel most of the time.

I've hit HD, Lowes, Ace, all the same

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
Do a google search for metal gas cans,there are plenty out there.
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

MrFixit1

join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

1 edit
reply to SparkChaser
Apparently it is some Federal requirement to reduce spillage . It does not seem that anyone ever thought to check and see if the designs would work more than once or twice without breaking !
No you cannot have my old style metal cans
( Referring to the spouts , the cans themselves seem fine )

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to SparkChaser
Since you didn't give a budget, a DOT can like this is pretty safe and should last a lifetime.

»www.amazon.com/Eagle-1215-Transp···00LEF3XY

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to MrFixit1
said by MrFixit1:

??? Metal cans and spouts are certainly allowed in many forms! See the one that robbin posted above for an example! Or, here's another one: »www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1···odBTkAYA

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
reply to robbin
Robbin, That is more than I want to spend for a lawnmower and snow-blower.

If I have to go there I will.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
said by SparkChaser:

Robbin, That is more than I want to spend for a lawnmower and snow-blower.

Okay, is it for business purposes (Like, you run some sort of landscaping business), or you're just extremely violent with your plastic gas cans? I can't imagine how you keep breaking the nozzle every 2 weeks.

Maybe you're using it wrong? You know the venting line in the nozzle should be UP, not down.

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SparkChaser
I have one of these »www.amazon.com/Eagle-U2-51-S-Gal···00BQO15I

It's pretty nice, it seals completely airtight (unless pressure gets too high, then it'll vent), and you just pull the valve lever towards the handle by gripping it to open both the pour valve and the vent at the same time, so it's fast pouring and no "glug glug glug". Has a metal screen basket in the fill/vent port too.

The fill port cover is spring loaded though, with nothing built in to hold it open, so it's a bit tricky to fill.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

1 edit
reply to SparkChaser
I was looking for a gasoline can some time ago and found this website:

»www.globalindustrial.com/g/safet···ety-cans

or this website:

»www.johndow.com/fuelchief

Remember red for gasoline!

Edit:

Yellow for diesel.

Blue for Kerosene.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
reply to SparkChaser
The new style spouts suck. People say the gas comes out very slowly too, takes about 3 days to fill up the riding mower

MrFixit1

join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI
reply to Msradell
said by Msradell:

said by MrFixit1:

??? Metal cans and spouts are certainly allowed in many forms!

Oops The line about the spouts was supposed to go before the comment about the metal cans
Was referring to the fact that the plastic cans themselves are fine , just the plastic spouts seem to be wanting .Teach me to post from the phone !

Well aware that metal cans are available with the new safety spout systems , but have no intention of replacing my old style metal cans until I have to

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
I remember owning the old style cans in the 70's when I was a nice young man(grabbing one of those old style cans would be a nice bonus today.)
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to MrFixit1
Actually it's not really a Federal requirement.

The industry begs the Federal Government to regulate it, to set standards that they could then meet and therefore be protected from BS liability lawsuits.

Said regulations never materialized, and as a result any gas can manufacturer faces hundreds of suits a year from idiots and professional litigators trying to make fast cash.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to SparkChaser
I have Justrite 5gal cans (2 gas, one diesel) and while they're pricey, they're also worth it. Gonna get another diesel.

The Eagles sound similar (I've never seen one) though the Justrite's are easy to fill; you just pull the handle back and insert the fill nozzle. Release the handle and the cap seals tight & spillproof.

Got mine at Amazon.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to SparkChaser
The new plastic gas cans are very annoying. Couple years ago I used to work in landscaping. What I did was first of all I modified (removed) the child-proofing from the caps, which are irritating as hell when you have to use the gas can several times a day. Second, I found a store that still had stock of the old style flexible spouts, and bought a couple dozen of them.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to SparkChaser
The key thing about the new cans is that they have to let in air in the same place where the gasoline comes out. Therefore they are slow.

Personally I just screw off the spout and pour it in. But I only do this with a COLD engine. With a warm engine I just use the spout.

I haven't broken any but the one that I like the best is one I got from walmart where it has a handle on the top to open the spout where you press down and pour the gas.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to SparkChaser
This is the can I have

»www.amazon.com/BLITZ-Enviro-Flo-···fuel+can

I saw all the bad reviews about it before I got it, but it's been a year now and I've used it a few times and during the last huricane and I never had an issue.

My Kerosene can has the one with the green ring that you push down and turn and the pressure on the nozzle keeps it from closing.

nevertheless I've never had one leak and this is a full tank
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to UHF
said by UHF:

The new style spouts suck. People say the gas comes out very slowly too, takes about 3 days to fill up the riding mower

I have a 5 gal kerosene can and it takes about 3 min to drain it, I ended up using a battery powered pump just because I was pouring into a heater and the way where the fuel goes in causes a spill.. and as you know Kero has a strong smell.

But it's not because it was slow, I remember when I first started pouring I was saying to myself they call this slow?
--

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

This is the can I have

»www.amazon.com/BLITZ-Enviro-Flo-···fuel+can

I saw all the bad reviews about it before I got it, but it's been a year now and I've used it a few times and during the last huricane and I never had an issue.

I'll 2nd that recommendation. I've got that style in the following:
2x 5 Gallon Gasoline
1x 5 Gallon Kerosene
1x 2 Gallon Gas

They are great cans. A little on the slow side when filling, say the generator which takes 6 gallons but for the lawn mower they work awesome. For kerosene I use a hand pump so cannot comment on the spout.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
I have that style but not the extended spout.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to SparkChaser
Just don't get the kind where you have to push down on the spout. These must have invented by an oil company because you will spill half of it on the ground.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to itguy05
Yeah I need to get a bigger gas can I have the 1 gal one which for what reason I don't know why I got it because my generator takes 1 gal to fill lol

But when closed and the temp rises you can see the tank holding the pressure, I think a lot of those people used it wrong, mine came with the flexible spout, picked it up at lowes 2 years ago.

I have two 5 gal Kerosene cans and with it being full it can be a little much to handle, but on the spout it has a little tab that you rest on the lip (careful not to flex it) and that's what keeps it open while you pour, as soon as you lift up the spout closes.
--

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
reply to SparkChaser
These are my favorite. »www.grainger.com/Grainger/EAGLE-···d=search

I have two of them and the next time they predict an ice storm or hurricane, I'll buy another. They are not inexpensive, but squirrels can't chew the tops off of them. The biggest problem I have had with the plastic cans is that squirrels like to chew on them. I don't know what it is about gasoline cans, but squirrels like them. I've had them chew up 3 or 4 cans full of gasoline. It ends up being a dangerous situation because I don't know it has happened and then is basically sitting there wide open in my shed. They have never chewed one up below the gas line, but they like the tops. I've had a military style metal can (Jerry Can) »olive-drab.com/od_mvg_jerry_can_···_gas.php for over 30 years and it is a great can but the nozzles can be a pain in the can and easily leak. Don't get one with a plastic nozzle. I'm assuming I will be able to find replacement plastic funnels for the Eagle cans when they deteriorate. The funnel is what makes it easy to use. The lids on the round cans are stiffly spring loaded and difficult to keep open when filling but it is worth the trouble. Grainger is pretty high on them. I got one at Lowe's for about 50.

Edit just saw robbin See Profile's link and at the bottom Amazon had the Eagle can for 37 bucks. Great price »www.amazon.com/Eagle-UI-50-FS-Ga···sbs_lg_4

The can will last a long time and hopefully Eagle will be around to replace the funnel.
Expand your moderator at work

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SparkChaser

Re: Gasonline cans recommendations

Thanks for all the useful replies. I was trying locally but it looks like I'll have to hit the net. A lot of good links and cans I haven't seen locally.

I'm sorry I didn't specify the size. I was looking for 2 gl but most sites that have a 5 also have 2.

alkizmo See Profile no I'm not violent. I even looked at several different kinds of spouts to see how they worked and IMHO they are terrible designs and even worse construction.
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people. - John F. Kennedy

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to SparkChaser
Ok can you guys post a picture of the cheap spout you're all talking about?

Because I seem to not relate at all to you guys regarding the spout. Maybe in Canada we still have okay spouts.

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to SparkChaser
said by SparkChaser:

Thanks for all the useful replies. I was trying locally but it looks like I'll have to hit the net. A lot of good links and cans I haven't seen locally.

I'm sorry I didn't specify the size. I was looking for 2 gl but most sites that have a 5 also have 2.

alkizmo See Profile no I'm not violent. I even looked at several different kinds of spouts to see how they worked and IMHO they are terrible designs and even worse construction.

Try looking in local commercial lawnmower supply or construction supply shops. There are a few around me, not sure about your area though. Might even try looking for yard/moving/estate sales for old ones, but usually hard to find.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

Remember red for gasoline!

Edit:

Yellow for diesel.

Blue for Kerosene.

Please don't remember this. It's how I got a $400 lawnmower for $30 because some idiot put kerosene in the tank and it didn't run right for some reason.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
reply to alkizmo
»www.northerntool.com/images/prod···5_lg.jpg

I assume
this kind but I've never had an issue personally.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

1 recommendation

reply to SparkChaser
I think I known the spouts... the spring loaded crappy ones that you have to push down to poor... the plastic wears off after a few uses... junk. I think its more dangerous trying to hold the spout down and pour.

Those the metal ones with the pull handle are heavy and heavy duty. I had to use them with tractors and it took some work to perfect holding handle down and pouring into mower/tractor.

All this is likely because of some idiot causing harm and lawsuit to change the design. Just like labels on lawnmowers not to use as hedge trimmer...
--
Splat