Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to SparkChaser

Re: Gasonline cans recommendations

Just don't get the kind where you have to push down on the spout. These must have invented by an oil company because you will spill half of it on the ground.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to itguy05
Yeah I need to get a bigger gas can I have the 1 gal one which for what reason I don't know why I got it because my generator takes 1 gal to fill lol

But when closed and the temp rises you can see the tank holding the pressure, I think a lot of those people used it wrong, mine came with the flexible spout, picked it up at lowes 2 years ago.

I have two 5 gal Kerosene cans and with it being full it can be a little much to handle, but on the spout it has a little tab that you rest on the lip (careful not to flex it) and that's what keeps it open while you pour, as soon as you lift up the spout closes.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to SparkChaser
These are my favorite. »www.grainger.com/Grainger/EAGLE-···d=search

I have two of them and the next time they predict an ice storm or hurricane, I'll buy another. They are not inexpensive, but squirrels can't chew the tops off of them. The biggest problem I have had with the plastic cans is that squirrels like to chew on them. I don't know what it is about gasoline cans, but squirrels like them. I've had them chew up 3 or 4 cans full of gasoline. It ends up being a dangerous situation because I don't know it has happened and then is basically sitting there wide open in my shed. They have never chewed one up below the gas line, but they like the tops. I've had a military style metal can (Jerry Can) »olive-drab.com/od_mvg_jerry_can_···_gas.php for over 30 years and it is a great can but the nozzles can be a pain in the can and easily leak. Don't get one with a plastic nozzle. I'm assuming I will be able to find replacement plastic funnels for the Eagle cans when they deteriorate. The funnel is what makes it easy to use. The lids on the round cans are stiffly spring loaded and difficult to keep open when filling but it is worth the trouble. Grainger is pretty high on them. I got one at Lowe's for about 50.

Edit just saw robbin See Profile's link and at the bottom Amazon had the Eagle can for 37 bucks. Great price »www.amazon.com/Eagle-UI-50-FS-Ga···sbs_lg_4

The can will last a long time and hopefully Eagle will be around to replace the funnel.
Expand your moderator at work

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SparkChaser

Re: Gasonline cans recommendations

Thanks for all the useful replies. I was trying locally but it looks like I'll have to hit the net. A lot of good links and cans I haven't seen locally.

I'm sorry I didn't specify the size. I was looking for 2 gl but most sites that have a 5 also have 2.

alkizmo See Profile no I'm not violent. I even looked at several different kinds of spouts to see how they worked and IMHO they are terrible designs and even worse construction.
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people. - John F. Kennedy

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to SparkChaser
Ok can you guys post a picture of the cheap spout you're all talking about?

Because I seem to not relate at all to you guys regarding the spout. Maybe in Canada we still have okay spouts.

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to SparkChaser
said by SparkChaser:

Thanks for all the useful replies. I was trying locally but it looks like I'll have to hit the net. A lot of good links and cans I haven't seen locally.

I'm sorry I didn't specify the size. I was looking for 2 gl but most sites that have a 5 also have 2.

alkizmo See Profile no I'm not violent. I even looked at several different kinds of spouts to see how they worked and IMHO they are terrible designs and even worse construction.

Try looking in local commercial lawnmower supply or construction supply shops. There are a few around me, not sure about your area though. Might even try looking for yard/moving/estate sales for old ones, but usually hard to find.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

Remember red for gasoline!

Edit:

Yellow for diesel.

Blue for Kerosene.

Please don't remember this. It's how I got a $400 lawnmower for $30 because some idiot put kerosene in the tank and it didn't run right for some reason.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
reply to alkizmo
»www.northerntool.com/images/prod···5_lg.jpg

I assume
this kind but I've never had an issue personally.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

1 recommendation

reply to SparkChaser
I think I known the spouts... the spring loaded crappy ones that you have to push down to poor... the plastic wears off after a few uses... junk. I think its more dangerous trying to hold the spout down and pour.

Those the metal ones with the pull handle are heavy and heavy duty. I had to use them with tractors and it took some work to perfect holding handle down and pouring into mower/tractor.

All this is likely because of some idiot causing harm and lawsuit to change the design. Just like labels on lawnmowers not to use as hedge trimmer...
--
Splat

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
Well here in Quebec we still have these kinds of nozzles.
In the picture, it's upside down, the venting tube (little ridge underside) should be on the top side for venting.

They work well, but you can't tilt the gas can too much otherwise the venting tube will be flooded.

mph300
Two Thirds The Way There

join:2000-11-09
reply to SparkChaser
»www.nospill.com/

Is my choice. They work flawlessly, do not spill contents and stop the flow when the level reaches the tip of the spout. I've had four of these gas cans for over two years now without a single problem!

Mike
--
CH3NO2-Fuel me UP-Let's race!

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to SparkChaser
said by SparkChaser:

Are there any decent gas cans out there. I keep buying the plastic ones with the funny nozzle. The nozzle breaks in a week or two. I get the idea that this is suppose to reduce emissions but only when it's working. I'm reduced to using a funnel most of the time.

I've hit HD, Lowes, Ace, all the same

I've had the same experience, the new nozzle's are junk.
--
Ron Paul 2012 »www.ronpaul2012.com
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. (((XM)))

JTY

join:2004-05-29
Ellensburg, WA
reply to SparkChaser
I've got a bunch of the Blitz Enviro-Flo cans. They work great, durable, and pretty cheap depending on where you shop. I bought my last couple 6 gallon cans for $6 each.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to alkizmo
alkizmo See Profile Here's what I'm talking about. You can see a small spring hanging at the bottom of the spout.

A hint that these are a problem is there is a rack of replacement spouts in the area of the cans.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
Yeah I can see those things breaking easily.
I'm glad we still have plenty of flexible spouts cans.

Funny I checked the price of those replacement spouts, it's like 6$-8$, 75% the price of a whole new can.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to SparkChaser
If you are breaking the nozzle in a week or two, you are holding it wrong....

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to itguy05
Blitz was driven into liquidation from the aforementioned BS lawsuits.

They were manufactured locally; the plant closed and the workers lost their jobs.

They were one of the manufacturers who begged the Federal Government to set standards for Gas cans so they could be protected from liability. They are good cans but when the existing stock runs out nationwide they are gone forever.

Link if anyone is interested....

»stateimpact.npr.org/oklahoma/201···usiness/

--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
reply to mph300
said by mph300:

»www.nospill.com/

Is my choice. They work flawlessly, do not spill contents and stop the flow when the level reaches the tip of the spout. I've had four of these gas cans for over two years now without a single problem!

Mike

If metal is outside your price range, these Nospills are by far the most user friendly / best gas containers available in plastic. They aren't cheap, but the alternative styles in plastic are god awful, plain & simple. At age 55, I no longer wish to deal with crap tools, and so I sprung for a Nospill for my two cycle gas. I think it cost $25 or $28 for a 2.5 gallon unit ?

Alternative II - buy the largest funnel that will fit your application, and just screw the top off when fueling up. Why large? A small funnel outlet is usually too small for gasoline transfer. I have sawed off the funnel bottoms to speed up the fueling process.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to SparkChaser
said by SparkChaser:

alkizmo See Profile Here's what I'm talking about. You can see a small spring hanging at the bottom of the spout.

A hint that these are a problem is there is a rack of replacement spouts in the area of the cans.

[att=1]

That's the one I have never had an issue

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Well here in Quebec we still have these kinds of nozzles.
In the picture, it's upside down, the venting tube (little ridge underside) should be on the top side for venting.

They work well, but you can't tilt the gas can too much otherwise the venting tube will be flooded.

Yup. Starting at $5 at Canadian Tire.

Those American cans look like somebody trying to over-engineer a simple thing.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to mph300
said by mph300:

»www.nospill.com/

Mike

No Spill "Jill" is a hottie
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

Those American cans look like somebody trying to over-engineer a simple thing.

That's it exactly IMHO.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to SparkChaser

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Are these what you have to use up there? I think a trip to somewhere that you can buy real user friendly cans would be in order.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
I have no problems with my cans I've had them for a year the kero cans I've refilled 10 times during the winter and the small can about 15 times.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by Subaru:

I have no problems with my cans I've had them for a year the kero cans I've refilled 10 times during the winter and the small can about 15 times.

Watching your video's it's very evident to me that your cans are way more difficult than my old style especially the 6 gallon ones.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Well it's hard to operate with one hand the red can pull the lever back and push down and it pours, release and it closes and locks.

the blue kero can turn to unlock and press down, resting it on whatever you are filling keeps it open, lift to lock.

The best thing is not have to worry about fuel spilling in the car if they splash around.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Are these what you have to use up there? I think a trip to somewhere that you can buy real user friendly cans would be in order.

Have you bought a gas can recently? You may be surprised at what is available.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
reply to SparkChaser
Another vote for the Nospill can. I bought a 5gal one for $29 from Amazon, and wish I had 3 more. It's perfect for filling my generator and snowblower.