Ehh... munch munch... what's up, Doc?
Premium
join:2007-03-27
Sterling, VA
kudos:1

1 edit

[motherboard] MicroStar Int'l (MSI) K7T Turbo MS-6330 ver.2.1 mo

Click for full size
HD will not boot after successful POST. It's not the HD or PSU, it's somewhere on this board. High ESR is possibly responsible, but no caps are leaking or bulging. I will be replacing some caps on this board, nevertheless, because more than half are unreliable caps. Is a southbridge failure possible for the symptom noted below? It controls the HD.

Symptom: monitor shows blinking cursor on blank screen after POST.

Who has a schematic for this motherboard?

poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium
join:2003-12-23
Midwest

Re: [motherboard] MicroStar Int'l (MSI) K7T Turbo MS-6330 ver.2.

Click for full size
download6330-1.pdf 62,754 bytes
Click for full size
download6330-2.pdf 1,070,982 bytes
Click for full size
download6330-3.pdf 66,932 bytes
probably not what you wanted, but here is something for you.

Mdoc
Premium
Sterling, VA
Somewhat useful, though this is for a version 3.0 motherboard. Thanks. A schematic would be key, though...

BTW 6330-2.pdf is probably corrupted.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

Not trying to push you away from here, but it may help your needs; have you tried the MSI forum?

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to Mdoc
Not of much help, as it could be a BIOS bug, but: a blinking cursor after POST on that era/model of board could indicate a multitude of things:

1. BIOS that's having difficulty reading the MBR (LBA/sector 0) of the attached disk.

2. BIOS that's trying to do something like probe the USB bus for bootable devices and getting stuck (BIOS bug), looking for a floppy disk despite one not being attached (despite what the BIOS setting for attached floppy drive is) and getting stuck (also BIOS bug), same with CD-ROMs, etc... I've seen all of these things in the field, no lies.

3. The hard disk might not be fully spun up by that point (e.g. BIOS is trying to boot too quickly), so if there's a "delay X seconds for hard disk" BIOS option try setting that to 5.

4. Please make sure the disk you've attached to the system isn't too large (capacity-wise), as the BIOS might not have 48-bit LBA support. Also make sure it's using the MBR scheme (vs. GPT scheme) -- meaning (to keep it simple) don't use Windows Vista or Windows 7, use DOS or 98 or Me or 2K or XP.

5. You might also try resetting the BIOS to factory defaults. Sometimes turning off certain features can actually help relieve things like this, or adjusting the disk boot order or bootable device (e.g. Floppy then CDROM then Hard Disk) in the BIOS (if available).

Southbridge is (I can tell just from the photo) the infamous VIA 686B. *shivers in disgust and fear* Oh the horrific memories...
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Mdoc
Premium
Sterling, VA
Click for full size
The test set up
Click for full size
CMOS report on bootup
said by koitsu:

Not of much help, as it could be a BIOS bug, but: a blinking cursor after POST on that era/model of board could indicate a multitude of things:

1. BIOS that's having difficulty reading the MBR (LBA/sector 0) of the attached disk.

2. BIOS that's trying to do something like probe the USB bus for bootable devices and getting stuck (BIOS bug), looking for a floppy disk despite one not being attached (despite what the BIOS setting for attached floppy drive is) and getting stuck (also BIOS bug), same with CD-ROMs, etc... I've seen all of these things in the field, no lies.

3. The hard disk might not be fully spun up by that point (e.g. BIOS is trying to boot too quickly), so if there's a "delay X seconds for hard disk" BIOS option try setting that to 5.

4. Please make sure the disk you've attached to the system isn't too large (capacity-wise), as the BIOS might not have 48-bit LBA support. Also make sure it's using the MBR scheme (vs. GPT scheme) -- meaning (to keep it simple) don't use Windows Vista or Windows 7, use DOS or 98 or Me or 2K or XP.

5. You might also try resetting the BIOS to factory defaults. Sometimes turning off certain features can actually help relieve things like this, or adjusting the disk boot order or bootable device (e.g. Floppy then CDROM then Hard Disk) in the BIOS (if available).

Southbridge is (I can tell just from the photo) the infamous VIA 686B. *shivers in disgust and fear* Oh the horrific memories...

Sorry for the late reply. I was doing an analysis on a "blue" ESR meter with good results.
1. I don't think so, or it would boot off another HD.
2. What BIOS s/w exhibits those bugs? Mine is AMIBIOS version 07.00.xx
3. There is a "hard disk pre-delay" setting. It's set to 10 seconds. No change on other settings.
4. 40 GB should run on Win XP Pro. It's the HD that ran successfully before. 40 GB is the max size, I think.
5. There's no option on the BIOS for "factory default". And the boot order is set so the HD boots first.

And you're correct about the southbridge part number, except that it's a 686A (not 686B).

I have the MB and PSU out of the case and sitting on cardboard, running only the essentials.