uniqs
share rss forum feed

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO
kudos:2

Is this forum

Is this forum no longer a place to learn about photography?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

I suspect this forum is whatever the posters want to make it. If you have a question, ask it (I thought your question about HDR turned into a GREAT thread, for example). If you have pointers to tutorials you thought were useful, post 'em
--
♬ Music is life ♬

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

2 recommendations

reply to SueS
I think it depends upon what your description of what "to learn about photography" means, IMO. If you want to know about a specific, yes, I think that you have to ask a specific question to get a specific response. This is not, per se, a photography site. Yes. Photography has been a specific forum for some time, but it will never be a site that can compare to Retouch Pro or Innographx or many other well known sites. Your level of knowledge may be have passed what is still educational to you, but a question needs to be asked...not just a generalization about learning.
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT

1 recommendation

reply to SueS
The best way to learn is go out and take pictures. Play with the aperture, shutter speed, maybe pick up a polaroid filter, see what effects it has.

O.
--
Windsor, Home of the 2012 Yard Vermin Olympics

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to SueS
What do you need to know?

Premium
join:2005-03-29
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to SueS
I agree with SusS. For some time now it seems that very few people ever start threads with a statement about some technique or a solution to a photographic problem, or even a thread about the 'art' of photography. I've a long history of posts of both kinds, but even I can't seem to generate these kinds of threads anymore. It's not burnout, but there seems to be a lack of interest in this kind of thing, and these posts now generate little information that is useful or even interesting.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

2 recommendations

reply to SueS
This forum has kind of died over the past 2 years.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to SueS
I think it's informal, helpful, collegial and almost always lacking in equipment and image snobbery. I enjoy getting real world help from people who've "been there, done that".

The learning part is dependent on participation. People like you are always willing to give constructive advice.

I try to help whenever I can, although I'm just learning myself.

Probably the only down side for me is when there are posts critical of an image or demeaning in nature, but when constructive suggestions are solicited, there's no productive response from the poster.

As for product and technical discussion, I've found DI to be consistently helpful.

OT - In addition to some nice examples of food photography, I've gotten a real education and several tasty recipes from your now-legendary »Post a photo of something you ate today - I envy caffeinator See Profile's ability to improvise

Finally, hats off to our moderator tmpchaos See Profile! It's often a thankless job that deserves recognition.

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to orion940
said by orion940:

The best way to learn is go out and take pictures. Play with the aperture, shutter speed, maybe pick up a polaroid filter, see what effects it has.

O.

That is a good way to learn how to use a camera, if all you ever want to do is make snapshots. I have no problem with snapshots, I think they are fun, and I take plenty.

When I think about photography I think about making beautiful art, or documenting travels in a beautiful way, or wonderful photos of the athletes in our families, but you get the idea. Maybe run a business making photos for others. Then there is the whole processing thing that I haven’t came close to mastering. Throw in the dirty word composition, (the one thing that makes or breaks a photo in my opinion) many do not understand and have no desire to learn.

I used to come here and find threads about how to do, or fix something I did not even know I needed help with till I saw the thread. I would like to be able to look back in two or three years at my work and see that I have made improvements.

If all we want in this forum is a pat on the back for our photos whether they are good or bad, then we have quit learning. Is this what we want for this forum? I can go other places for help, but I like the cozy atmosphere around here.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB

2 recommendations

reply to SueS
Well, the issue still remains that there are many, very knowledgeable photographers in this forum. But unlike a scholastic setting, this is a place where we get to ask, and others then share their knowledge.

If no one is going to ask for help, how are others supposed to know what to post? If this forum is dying, it is because we are letting it. So unless we are all experts, let's start asking. The answers will be forthcoming

Ask and it shall be given to you.
Seek and you shall find.

Ralph.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB

2 recommendations

reply to SueS
If any one of us is limiting our photography learning experience to just this one forum then we are making a great mistake. There is so much else out there that we can avail of, which is specific to our individual needs.

If this forum has turned into a casual meeting place, then so be it. The world hasn't come to an end because of it. I like hanging around here and sharing my thoughts and work. There are so many nice people here, with the occasional odd balls. But that helps keep it all interesting.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
Windsor, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to SueS
Sue, A lot of the stuff you are talking about is trial and error still.

If you want tutorials on where to start with composition or what lens, aperture, shutter speed is best for what, google "digital camera tutorials". Another site that I have found helpful is froknowsphoto.com. When you look on the sites, you need to read through the topics to see how each author handles things (and there will be differences).

Look at something in the yard, a tree, a leaf, even the mailbox. If you're in a city, find a hydrant or store front. Envision what you want the picture to look like, take 50-60 shots of it. Make sure you shoot raw format to get all the EXIF data in the picture. If you use a polaroid filter or something, write that down, it won't be in the EXIF. All the lens, aperture, shutter speed info will all be there. Your import software will have all the info for each picture. Then you can look at what each setting did.

For processing, there's a ton of applications to use. I run Linux, so I use DigiKam and GIMP. I found tutorials and tips and stuff with google. When I saw the Artify thread, I went into the photo editor and started playing with various things in it. Doing different effects/enhancements in different order will produce different results. I sat one night and tried each effect/filter/enhancement on a picture to see what happened.

Photography is an art, with a little science thrown in. So's cooking. You can't become a chef by reading a book.

O.
--

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
WTF is a "polaroid filter"? Is it in any way, shape, form or means related to a polarizing filter?
--
It's not really power unless you abuse it.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
Windsor, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by vaxvms:

WTF is a "polaroid filter"? Is it in any way, shape, form or means related to a polarizing filter?

Worchester, Wustah, polaroid, polarizing
--

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
Reviews:
·Charter

NIKON D50
50mm 1/30th F5.6

There's no "h" in Worcester.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
Windsor, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by vaxvms:

There's no "h" in Worcester.

Wustah, MA
--

Wyattx17
Wyatt
Premium
join:2004-04-21
Stockton, CA

1 recommendation

reply to SueS
I've learned very much from this particular forum about photography. I consider it to be the catalyst for my entire journey and desire. What happened was a DSL connection problem led me here back in 2004... wow.

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Wyattx17:

I've learned very much from this particular forum about photography. I consider it to be the catalyst for my entire journey and desire. What happened was a DSL connection problem led me here back in 2004... wow.

You and me both. I've always had a minor interest in both photography and video, but finding first the Gallery, and then this forum, while tracking down a DSL issue is what really got me started with this whole hobby. I don't post a lot of my stuff here, nor any useful tips because I quite honestly don't have a lot of time. I will always respond to questions if I think I can be of help, but I don't spend a lot of time looking for tips or techniques. This is my internet home (this site, not just this forum), so most of my available time is split between being here and out shooting. If I find I'm having trouble with something, I will look here first, and elsewhere second, but I don't actively search for anything new just to find something new. I'm sure I'm limiting myself, but that's all that fits into my life right now.
Expand your moderator at work