All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
sandman_1
join:2011-04-23

sandman_1 to Stem Bolt

to Stem Bolt

Re: Astraweb automates DMCA removals

Stuff posted on NZBMatrix, not all but some, gets the axe quick. The copyright troll outfit The Morganelli Group visits NZBMatrix often and DMCAs stuff posted there. Someone I know posted something that they watch out for on NZBMatrix and it was taken down within 30min of uploading.

It is the ease of use sites like NZBMatrix that are hurting everyone. People really need to stop using those sites and learn how to do a raw search.

Frink
Professor
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Scotch Plains, NJ

Frink

Premium Member

said by sandman_1:

It is the ease of use sites like NZBMatrix that are hurting everyone. People really need to stop using those sites and learn how to do a raw search.

I have used newzbin do do raw searches, but find there is no difference in the content there versus the nzb'd content. Do you suggest some other alternative / method, or do you think I am just searching incorrectly? Thx.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Frink:

said by sandman_1:

I have used newzbin do do raw searches, but find there is no difference in the content there versus the nzb'd content. Do you suggest some other alternative / method, or do you think I am just searching incorrectly? Thx.

The point that sandman_1 See Profile was making is that now that it's so easy to find stuff on Usenet, Usenet has become a bigger target for DMCA and the like.

Unfortunately, even if every user stopped using nzb indexers, the problem wouldn't just disappear -- the genie is out of the bottle and there's no going back.
newster
join:2011-09-26

newster to Frink

to Frink
said by Frink:

NZB index sites pick up only a fraction of usenet binaries. A lot of content is not posted under obvious titles. Sometimes it's abbreviations or scene names. Browse through headers, and you'll see a lot of things that are not very descriptively labeled. Think of it like an Easter egg hunt.
newster

newster to darcilicious

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Unfortunately, even if every user stopped using nzb indexers, the problem wouldn't just disappear -- the genie is out of the bottle and there's no going back.

If a usenet server were to renumber article IDs (and thus force users to abandon NZB sites and download headers instead) that would solve the problem right there, would it not?
sandman_1
join:2011-04-23

sandman_1 to darcilicious

to darcilicious

said by darcilicious See Profile

I think it would. I don't think the copyright trolls would browse through raw searches. It would be too cumbersome to that. If that were the case, they would of been doing it a long time before now. It is the easy manual index sites that make it easy for take downs because someone has already done the work for them.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by sandman_1:

I think it would. I don't think the copyright trolls would browse through raw searches. It would be too cumbersome to that. If that were the case, they would of been doing it a long time before now. It is the easy manual index sites that make it easy for take downs because someone has already done the work for them.

Or, they could just set up their own indexers; obviously, it's not that hard.
newster
join:2011-09-26

newster to sandman_1

to sandman_1
said by sandman_1:

I don't think the copyright trolls would browse through raw searches. It would be too cumbersome to that.

That's essentially what many of them are doing to Google with automated keyword-based DMCAs. I'm glad that Google is at least fighting back and calling B.S. and publicizing some of these ridiculous copyright claims.
said by sandman_1:

It is the easy manual index sites that make it easy for take downs because someone has already done the work for them.

People who upload NZBs might want to include some fake Message IDs in the NZB. A newsreader will ignore them, but the trolls will be caught submitting false claims, and causing the NSPs to delete valid non-infringing discussions.

I suggest starting with alt.fan.rush-limbaugh, people I wouldn't mind annoying by deleting their posts. :=)
parson
join:2007-02-17

parson to darcilicious

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

said by sandman_1:

Or, they could just set up their own indexers; obviously, it's not that hard.

Outlook Express is all one needs. Any decent Email client can download watch and filter headers, and there are several Newsgroup readers that do the same. Monitoring Prees and using bots to identify posts also takes labor out of the process. It's not hard to filter "HDTV", and they're all copyrighted.
Someone mentioned numerical post and file titles, they're already vanishing, and that's not only from popular groups.
The old ways will survive, but if they're going to remain, nzb users will have to learn to read and write.