Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to nbinont

Premium Member

to nbinont

Re: Google DNS versus ours

said by nbinont:

said by mlord:

said by TSI Gabe:

The first one, he's using 192.168.1.1 as his DNS server, not ours, hence why it's not working.

That's probably his router, which probably IS using TSI's server. Very standard setup, that.

Yep - my router using TSI's DNS servers. Though asking TSI's DNS servers directly with dig shows the same problem.

lets take a closer look see if we can figure out what's going on.

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

Are you saying this is still happening now?
nbinont
join:2011-03-13

nbinont

said by TSI Gabe:

Are you saying this is still happening now?

Yep, for the past 8 months. Everyday

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

K...honestly this is going to be hard to reproduce now that we are running other DNS servers...I guess keep me posted if it happens again and I'll take another look. Since right now I'm able to resolve those domains just fine.
nbinont
join:2011-03-13

nbinont

said by TSI Gabe:

K...honestly this is going to be hard to reproduce now that we are running other DNS servers...I guess keep me posted if it happens again and I'll take another look. Since right now I'm able to resolve those domains just fine.

Thanks! I'll follow up and try to reproduce it.
nbinont

nbinont

said by nbinont:

said by TSI Gabe:

Thanks! I'll follow up and try to reproduce it.

Well, it seems like whatever Gabe did over the last week has fixed it for me! I verified that it was still acting up a few days ago (and it was), but tonight it seems to be resolving correctly the first time.

I waited for the cached entry to expire in TSI's DNS server, then asked it to resolve the site again. Last week it would fail a few times before finally getting something for the cache, and then be good until the cache expired again.

Tonight, after the cache expired it worked the first time. Waited for the cache to expire again (30 min expiry in this case), and tried again. Success again!

I assume I must be on one of Gabe's new DNS servers - and they seem to be working well!

Guess I'll have to go update my review...
Bugblndr
join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON

Bugblndr

Good news, time to change things up on my setup a bit and see for myself.