uniqs
share rss forum feed

TSILiz
Premium
join:2012-08-20
kudos:6

[OUTAGE] No Route in Nepean/ Stittsville

Hey Everyone-

Please be advised, this is now a confirmed outage. Currently no ETA, will update once we have more information. Thank you for your patience.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
Which POI does this affect, and what are the symptoms?
Having this info here might save TSI a few more support calls.

Eg. My neighbour's cable modem suddenly no longer gets an IP from Rogers (DHCP failure). That kind of thing?

Thanks

dnikkel
Premium
join:2011-08-16
Nepean, ON
I can tell you Fallowfield POI is definitely affected. We're in Barrhaven and without Internet for 2 full days now. The symptoms are that you get an IP and everything at the modem seems normal. However, you can't ping the DNS servers. It is apparently some routing shenanigans caused by Rogers yesterday. The case is with Rogers for resolution.

TSILiz
Premium
reply to TSILiz
As it is midnight, I don't have a lot of information at this time, but I've gathered as much as I can. So this info is subject to change but here goes:

-Symptoms include receiving a 198 IP (or another valid ip) but can't route anywhere. Pinging most websites by the name will result in unknown host. Light pattern on modem will appear normal

-No specific POI yet (although more than few tech's have mentioned the Richmond POI) as we're seeing now other parts of Ottawa may be affected as well with DHCP symptoms (169)

Pabl0

join:2004-08-11
Canada
Count me as another affected user in the west end of Ottawa. Phone support told me it can take up to 48 hour for Rogers just respond to the outage report.

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSILiz
said by TSILiz:

other parts of Ottawa may be affected as well with DHCP symptoms (169)

169.* IP addresses don't come from the modem or Rogers -- they are auto-assigned (a fallback mechanism) by some operating systems (eg. Apple OS/X) when DHCP fails completely.

dnikkel
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to TSILiz
As of 10:40am, still no route in Barrhaven. This is day 3 of no Internet and no phone (TekTalk) for us.

Btp

@teksavvy.com
reply to mlord
Do we have an ETA yet?

TSI Keith
Premium
join:2012-07-09
kudos:5
No ETA as of yet, but working to have this resolved ASAP.

Pabl0

join:2004-08-11
Canada
It there anything TSI is active working on or are you basically waiting for a call from Rogers to let you know what is going on?

I am a new customer and being down for extended periods with little to no information/updates is new to me. It is not viable option for those rely on thier ISP for things like telephone service, work from home, and day to day activites like banking/paying bills.

I get the feeling that TSI is no idea which customers are affected, what the problem really is, and what it is going to take in time and resouces to fix the issue.
--
From Arrested Development
Narrator: Then George Sr. stumbled across a loophole in the Mexican legal system.

George Sr.: (holding up cash) I have money.

TheSenators

join:2012-09-26
Kanata, ON
reply to TSILiz
I have exactly the same problem: got a 198. address, but could not go anyway. The problem started midnight of Oct 10. I called the Tech Support in the early morning hours today (4:00am), and was told that was a network routing problem at Teksavvy's side, and could be fixed quickly. However, as of now, I am still out of internet access from home.

hoek

@teksavvy.com
Barrhaven strandherd and woodroffe area.
6:00 am - noticed internet was down, router logs indicate on and off since between 2-3 am Oct 12th
10:00 am - got sync on SB6121 modem but no address
11:00 am - Confirmed at least one neighbor on Rogers is fine. But still no IP address for me
11:30 am - spent about 40 min on phone with support, last step was factory reset. Not sure if that actually did anything.
12:30 pm - internet is back, got 24.x.x.x address

total downtime that i know of ~ 10 hours

TheSenators

join:2012-09-26
Kanata, ON
Just checked remotely that mine has come back as well.

dnikkel
Premium
Nepean, ON
I just did a factory reset and I'm still getting a 198 address and no service. We're in old Barrhaven.

dnikkel
Premium
Nepean, ON
OK, just now (3:00pm), we finally have service back. Total down time about 60 hours.

TSILiz
Premium
dnikkel, can you please post your account info in the direct forum? I would like to add some notes to your account concerning this outage.

Thank you!
TSI Liz

mlord

Nepean, ON
My neighbour's line is still out. One change though: previously the modem could not get any IP address (DHCP fails), now he's getting a 198.* address. Still bad, but different from before.

TSILiz
Premium
reply to TSILiz
Not a lot of updated info at this point unfortunately. I was advised its still ongoing, cycling between a no route issue and dhcp issues. If you are having the issues still either message us in the direct forum or email in so we can open tickets and record your downtime.

dnikkel
Premium
Nepean, ON
I've contacted Accounting already requesting compensation. Is that the right path? Or do we just get our down time on our ticket and it will be handled through that?

TSILiz
Premium
dnikkel, Yeah Accounting won't deal with this type of credit, so please give me your info so I can deal with it for you.

For anyone reading this thread, I've also just received word that this should now be resolved. Please power cycle your equipment and see if your connection is restored.

Jem33

@74.198.164.x
reply to TSILiz
In barrhaven. No phone or Internet service yesterday for a few hours. And this morning no service from at least 4am onward. Still no service now at 410 pm. So doesn't look like all is fixed!

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to mlord
said by mlord:

said by TSILiz:

other parts of Ottawa may be affected as well with DHCP symptoms (169)

169.* IP addresses don't come from the modem or Rogers -- they are auto-assigned (a fallback mechanism) by some operating systems (eg. Apple OS/X) when DHCP fails completely.

Including Windows PCs FYI.

Also, this is weird because we are in the westend too (Kanata) and the connection hasn't dropped for a month...Fallowfield POI. Seems like not everyone even on the same POI was affected?
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by d4m1r:

Also, this is weird because we are in the westend too (Kanata) and the connection hasn't dropped for a month...Fallowfield POI. Seems like not everyone even on the same POI was affected?

Just don't reboot your modem or disturb the setup, and it will likely continue operating. Like I said, my neighbour lost his service Wednesday evening around midnight, but ours here is still working. Same node, same POI.

KanataNorth

join:2012-10-12
Kanata, ON
Internet out sometme overnight in north kanata. Still dead. Went through diagnosis before finding this forum. Cable modem shows diag screen all ok if you manually create a link to its 192.168.100.x network -- however it will not answer any dhcp requests once it has link to the cable. You can tcpdump the link and see lots of ARP requests go by.

In the end, i,m just confused as the to whether I need to open a ticket or just simply wait. For a global fix.

TSILiz
Premium
I would suggest to open a ticket that way it can record your downtime.

stittsville1

@qnx.com
reply to KanataNorth
Still no internet in stittsville - though I can ping 24.246.5.97 and 24.246.55.22, i can't get anything else and not to any dns servers. Frustrating that between rogers and teksavvy they can't even figure out that the problem has not yet been solved.

Jem33

@74.198.164.x
reply to TSILiz
Yes we are still out as well. Barrhaven area. Frustrating! Strange that some have been resolved and some not. My husband tried to call support but unable to get through.... So gave up. Hoping that a "global fix" will help us.

Kanata1

@rdims.com
reply to TSILiz
Still out for me. According to my syslog messages, I lost connection at home on Oct 11 at 4:30AM and have not been able to reconnect since. I am also getting a 198.84.x.x address instead of my usual 24.x.x.x address. I've reset the modem numerous times, and frequently try to do dhcp queries still get nothing useful. I can only ping the gateway, nothing beyond.

Stone1

@rogers.com
reply to Jem33
Still out for me as well (downtime: 48 + hours, since Oct 11 6am). Tried to call Teksavvy support via phone but gave up waiting for someone to respond. I hope this gets fixed asap for everyone who gets affected.

dalystar

@74.198.65.x
reply to TSILiz
Internet he been down in stittsville since Thursday morning and is still down.