how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

StylezXP6

join:2010-07-23
reply to BritanniaTec

Re: [OUTAGE] No Route in Nepean/ Stittsville

Hey Britannia I'm running a surfboard SB6580. Had regular light patterns ever since the outage, modem diagnostics all appeared ok.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to jkstraw
said by jkstraw:

Any way to confirm the IP scarcity hypothesis? Just power cycled everything again - still no luck

It's looking like there are still some issues on Rogers end that need to be sorted out. No way to tell other then anecdotal evidence ATM...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

stittsville14

join:2010-10-24
Stittsville, ON
I'm still down in Stittsville too, dang. Long outage and serious for me, I need to get IRS forms downloaded and onto my main pc in order to meet a filing deadline on Monday, and IRS boys and girls don't play nice when you're late. Guess I will be spending some time at mcdonalds tomorrow with my netbook and a usb stick. Will teksavvy buy me a coffee? LOL

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to sbrook
said by sbrook:

BritanniaTec ... the two west end head ends and TSI POIs in Ottawa are both on Richmond Rd! One in Westboro (which is probably the one you are on since your name is BritanniaTec, I would presume you live in Britannia!) and serves Ottawa west of Bank, Nepean North, Bells Cors.

Err, no. Bells Corners, or at least the Lynwood Village portion, is served from the Fallowfield POI.

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
reply to StylezXP6
said by StylezXP6:

I'm back online now but I can only connect directly through the modem. I've tried 3 different routers and they all fail when trying to grab an IP, giving me a timeout issue. So seems we're getting there, but not quite there yet!

That is very likely a problem entirely at your end, and under your control. What you need to do to fix it, is look up "factory reset" in the documentation for your modem, and do it after first connecting your desired router to the modem. Do the factory reset, and it should then allow the router to work.

This confusing problem is due to the Modem/Rogers only allowing two MAC addresses (total) to get DHCP responses. A MAC address is a unique identifier for a networking device, eg. the WAN port on a router or a PC. The Modem/Rogers remembers the MAC addresses, and doesn't allow anything else to connect directly. A Factory Reset clears them from memory (so to speak), allowing different equipment to connect afterward.

jkstraw

join:2012-10-12
Stittsville, ON
reply to TSI Marc
Just went through the power cycle procedure again - still offline. Going to have to pursue other options (teleworker wife) come Monday morning.

Any updates would be appreciated

stittsville14

Stittsville, ON
I am still down in Stittsville also.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to mlord
thanks mlord ... That's interesting ... and does make sense (after all Bell's Cors. is probably closer to Fallowfield than almost any other place than Fallowfield Village! I was going on the historical footprints and had no responses out of people from Bells Cors. when I did the map. I would imagine the western boundary of RCHRD would now be HWY 416 then.

I still remember the days when Bells Corners was in the Boonies: half way to Carleton Place almost. There was virtually nothing west of Shoppers City West until the village of Bells Corners! You definitely had left Ottawa when you got to BC!

Oh how times have changed and changed again.

stittsville14

Stittsville, ON
reply to stittsville14
I have tried a modem factory reset - no joy so far (it has been about 20 mins). Selected factory reset then restarted thru modem control panel. On first reboot known cpe mac addresses said max 2 and had no entries. Now after a subsequent boot about 15 mins later it says max 1, still no entries. At the router nothing has changed, no ip addr.

Can't help but feel teksavvy has abandoned us here, everyone seems to have stopped working on this partway though last evening. No updates in the direct forum either.

Alexander6

reply to TSILiz
Here's an interesting symptom, I have a new DCM476 that was just provisioned, and now instead of only getting a 198.* IP like I was on my DCM425 a couple of days ago I now only get an IPv6 address. Both the IP I'm assigned and my default are IPv6 only.

Still no service though. Day 5 for me.

jkstraw

Stittsville, ON
reply to stittsville14
I somewhat agree - kudos to Marc for pulling a long day to help with understanding the situation - but I just spoke to support and got the 'nothing we can do - it is all Rogers fault' response. This after Marc confirmed TS made mistakes as well.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
Just got word from Rogers that whatever DHCP issues there are will be looked into today...

The routing issue on our end has been resolved since yesterday. If you're still offline please make sure we know about your situation so we can make sure Rogers looks into it.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to TSILiz
It's a shame that Rogers isn't consisitent about the naming that got passed on to you so that you ended up with two POIs referred to by the street address on Richmond Rd.

Rogers host names for the two sites

RCHRD (which is the low numbered Richmond Rd. headend in Westboro)

FLFRD (which is the high numbered Richmond Rd. headend in the rural village of Fallowfield)

It would behoove both you and Rogers if the one in Fallowfield was referred to as the Fallowfield head end/POI.

Perhaps you and Rogers should agree to call these head ends

Richmond Rd, Westboro or RCHRD or Westboro

and

Richmond Rd, Fallowfield or FLFRD or Fallowfield

So as to eliminate the confuusion

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to sbrook
Okay, my neighbour now has TSI Internet working again, on one of the 198.* addresses. He is actually across the street from me, on a different cable segment, on the same local (neighbourhood) node. That node is fibre connected to the Fallowfield POI, where we each appear to be on different CMTSs.

He's on 10.124.7.129 (8/4 bonding), whereas I'm on 10.124.5.1 (4/1 bonding).

chromius

join:2012-10-13
reply to TSI Marc
Still no IP for me this morning. Is my original post in the direct forum enough for making sure you guys know?

stittsville14

Stittsville, ON
reply to stittsville14
I have just gone though an hour long process resetting the modem to factory defaults for the 2nd time (this time leaving the eth cable disconnected for 45 mins before reattaching) and there is no change. Just mentioning as it may save folks some time to not go down that road.

TSI Keith
Premium
join:2012-07-09
kudos:5
reply to chromius
No worries, if you have already contacted us in Direct there would be no reason to post again.

With that being said, I just responded to your thread in Direct letting you know what information we need to place a ticket on the account for you.
--
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

mmasse

join:2011-03-16
reply to TSILiz
Any updates from Rogers today? I'm still out in Barrhaven.

TSI Keith
Premium
No further updates at this time. If you have not opened a ticket for this issue already please contact us here: »TekSavvy Direct so we can provide you with the information we would need in order to do so. Please provide you account info and if possible you IP address when you post there.

Thank you,
Keith
--

stittsville14

Stittsville, ON
Obviously theres still a widespread problem, is there no master ticket currently open? Very frustrated at this point, particularly in needing to open a ticket for dhcp now when i had reported no dhcp yesterday.. I feel for folks that are down and have no phone or internet by which to report their individual issue, if thats what is now required to expect a fix.
I think i must have set a new record for data use on my phone this weekend LOL

TSI Keith
Premium
Yes there is still an outage declared in Stittsville at this time. We still need individual tickets opened when possible. This is done for tracking purposes, and so we can still supply Rogers with an individual ticket for you on the off chance that while similar your issue is not related to the outage.

Also once Rogers confirms that the issue has been resolved we will attempt to contact those who have tickets opened with us (either by phone or email) to confirm if they are back online.
--

chromius

There's only an outage still declared in Stittsville? Because I'm STILL out in Barrhaven.

I don't think I've ever even heard of an outage lasting this long. 5 days downtime is unheard of. I work with high availability systems, and even a day of downtime would be catastrophic. You could rebuild a whole POI in less than 5 days!

Unreal.

TSI Keith
Premium
DHCP Outages in Stitsville and Nepean-ongoing.

For the Ottawa No route outage we have had reports of customers coming back online and would like customers to perform a power cycle and check their service again.

The Stittsville/Nepean outage may well be affecting surrounding areas as well. As always though we recommend having an individual ticket opened as well. If you have not already done so please then please contact us here: »TekSavvy Direct so we can let you know what information we would need to open a ticket for you.
--

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to chromius
chromius, Rogers has NO SENSE whatsoever that the internet and homephone services they provide are critical services. Even Bell has lost that sense that homephone is a critical service.

Things have gone VERY wrong. I worked in the UK for several years in SCADA services and these systems were designed as fault tolerant, remote monitoring. When things failed alarms went off and people were dispatched within minutes to fix problems. Similar systems here for hydro companies were much more blase .. where's the fault tolerance? where's the remote switching? where's the immediate dispatch?

Even as late as 2000 when cable went out, someone was dispatched same day. Now they want to book an appointment at the earliest tomorrow, and as much as four days forward!

Things have GOT to change.

chromius

Completely agreed.

With more and more services relying on internet access, now more than ever should it be viewed as a critical service.

jkstraw

Stittsville, ON
reply to chromius
+1 still down in Stittsville - no DHCP address assigned since mid afternoon. Post to direct forum made.

stittsville14

Stittsville, ON
Still down in Stittsville this morning - no DHCP.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
Update late last night from Rogers, they say they are investigating and believe they have narrowed it down to DHCP issues on Fallowfield POI.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

dgrant

@algonquincollege.com
reply to TSILiz
I am in the Nepean area, internet went out on Saturday night. Still cannot find the DNS.

BritanniaTec

Ottawa, ON
reply to TSILiz
I'm finally back online after being offline for more than 4 days.
It turns out that I was not a part of the known outage but Rogers de-activated my line a week after I joined Teksavvy, that's what the technician discovered when he checked the cable room in my building.
I did notice that the speed is fluctuating a bit now, seems that there are still some issues in the area.
I'm still a happy Teksavvy customer