uniqs
share rss forum feed

TSI Keith
Premium
join:2012-07-09
kudos:5
reply to stittsville14

Re: [OUTAGE] No Route in Nepean/ Stittsville

Yes there is still an outage declared in Stittsville at this time. We still need individual tickets opened when possible. This is done for tracking purposes, and so we can still supply Rogers with an individual ticket for you on the off chance that while similar your issue is not related to the outage.

Also once Rogers confirms that the issue has been resolved we will attempt to contact those who have tickets opened with us (either by phone or email) to confirm if they are back online.
--
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

chromius

join:2012-10-13

There's only an outage still declared in Stittsville? Because I'm STILL out in Barrhaven.

I don't think I've ever even heard of an outage lasting this long. 5 days downtime is unheard of. I work with high availability systems, and even a day of downtime would be catastrophic. You could rebuild a whole POI in less than 5 days!

Unreal.

TSI Keith
Premium
join:2012-07-09
kudos:5

DHCP Outages in Stitsville and Nepean-ongoing.

For the Ottawa No route outage we have had reports of customers coming back online and would like customers to perform a power cycle and check their service again.

The Stittsville/Nepean outage may well be affecting surrounding areas as well. As always though we recommend having an individual ticket opened as well. If you have not already done so please then please contact us here: »TekSavvy Direct so we can let you know what information we would need to open a ticket for you.
--
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to chromius

chromius, Rogers has NO SENSE whatsoever that the internet and homephone services they provide are critical services. Even Bell has lost that sense that homephone is a critical service.

Things have gone VERY wrong. I worked in the UK for several years in SCADA services and these systems were designed as fault tolerant, remote monitoring. When things failed alarms went off and people were dispatched within minutes to fix problems. Similar systems here for hydro companies were much more blase .. where's the fault tolerance? where's the remote switching? where's the immediate dispatch?

Even as late as 2000 when cable went out, someone was dispatched same day. Now they want to book an appointment at the earliest tomorrow, and as much as four days forward!

Things have GOT to change.

chromius

Completely agreed.

With more and more services relying on internet access, now more than ever should it be viewed as a critical service.

jkstraw

join:2012-10-12
Stittsville, ON
reply to chromius

+1 still down in Stittsville - no DHCP address assigned since mid afternoon. Post to direct forum made.

stittsville14

join:2010-10-24
Stittsville, ON

Still down in Stittsville this morning - no DHCP.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

Update late last night from Rogers, they say they are investigating and believe they have narrowed it down to DHCP issues on Fallowfield POI.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

dgrant

@algonquincollege.com
reply to TSILiz

I am in the Nepean area, internet went out on Saturday night. Still cannot find the DNS.

BritanniaTec

Ottawa, ON
reply to TSILiz

I'm finally back online after being offline for more than 4 days.
It turns out that I was not a part of the known outage but Rogers de-activated my line a week after I joined Teksavvy, that's what the technician discovered when he checked the cable room in my building.
I did notice that the speed is fluctuating a bit now, seems that there are still some issues in the area.
I'm still a happy Teksavvy customer

stittsville14

join:2010-10-24
Stittsville, ON
reply to dgrant

> I am in the Nepean area, internet went out on Saturday night. Still cannot find the DNS

So you're getting an IP address but no routing to the DNS servers? That sounds like everything back to square one where we have both DHCP issues and routing issues still ongoing. :-(

pulp46
Premium
join:2003-01-28

3 edits
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

Update late last night from Rogers, they say they are investigating and believe they have narrowed it down to DHCP issues on Fallowfield POI.

I've been reading the Twitter feed and Forum reports of this outage on Fallowfield phub. Also, reports of weird routing issues from Fallow. Been on pins and needles awaiting the inevitable crash for god knows how long yet... I haven't experienced anything of the sort during this time and I'm on the same phub! Must be more to the story.

Tracing route to cnn.com [157.166.226.26]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 10.124.8.1
2 18 ms 15 ms 15 ms 69.63.255.181
3 22 ms 10 ms 7 ms fallowfield1.cable.teksavvy.com [24.246.55.22]
4 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms fallowfield2.cable.teksavvy.com [69.196.175.185]

5 24 ms 13 ms 13 ms 10gigabitethernet4-1.core1.tor1.he.net [209.51.1
61.193]

Good luck guys, hope it gets settled soon!

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to BritanniaTec

said by BritanniaTec:

I'm finally back online after being offline for more than 4 days.
It turns out that I was not a part of the known outage but Rogers de-activated my line a week after I joined Teksavvy, that's what the technician discovered when he checked the cable room in my building.
I did notice that the speed is fluctuating a bit now, seems that there are still some issues in the area.
I'm still a happy Teksavvy customer

that's great to hear that your back online and that you're still a happy camper
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to pulp46

said by pulp46:

said by TSI Marc:

I've been reading the Twitter feed and Forum reports of this outage on Fallowfield phub. Also, reports of weird routing issues from Fallow. Been on pins and needles awaiting the inevitable crash for god knows how long yet... I haven't experienced anything of the sort during this time and I'm on the same phub! Must be more to the story.

Tracing route to cnn.com [157.166.226.26]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 10.124.8.1
2 18 ms 15 ms 15 ms 69.63.255.181
3 22 ms 10 ms 7 ms fallowfield1.cable.teksavvy.com [24.246.55.22]
4 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms fallowfield2.cable.teksavvy.com [69.196.175.185]

5 24 ms 13 ms 13 ms 10gigabitethernet4-1.core1.tor1.he.net [209.51.1
61.193]

Good luck guys, hope it gets settled soon!

Yeah it's not all users on that PHUB/POI.. it's only those related to the work Rogers did splitting that node or implementing new IPs we've provided them.. we have many users on that POI and most are doing fine.. it's only affecting a small number of users but it's that they've been offline now for days..

a POI can have many CMTS' and each can have many nodes attached... when they split nodes it affects only some nodes on some CMTS' within the POI... and of course, we have little visibility of any of this.. those nodes are often times up in a hydro pole hanging off the wire... if you see trucks in your area.. or an adjacent area.. it's possible that you could get affected as they shuffle segments around.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
reply to TSILiz

Yeah, Fallowfield services one astonishing area. Carleton Place, Almonte, Munster, Stittsville, Barhaven, Kanata, Carp, Dunrobin (South of Thomas Dolan)

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

Just got news that it should be fixed as per Rogers. Can anybody confirm?
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

darrylr

join:2003-02-10
Nepean, ON

Is there any word if the Rogers changes will be happening to everyone on that POI eventually or if only some users will be affected overall?

pulp46
Premium
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

....if you see trucks in your area.. or an adjacent area.. it's possible that you could get affected as they shuffle segments around.

Thank you Marc for the input. I just returned home and kept my eyes open to the point of taking a different route back from the way I left. LOL So far no trucks!

chromius

reply to TSI Marc

Marc,
I believe I'm back up. I'm just checking remotely from work, and it appears all is good, but I won't know 100% until I get home.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to darrylr

We don't expect anybody else to be affected.

They usually do work on areas of the network that need upgrading though.. so that's actually a good thing.. so long as issues are resolved quickly if they come about. This just happened to be a bad case of it where it was a 3 layer poo-poo cake :\
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to pulp46

LOL watch where you're driving!
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to chromius

great. that's awesome to get some confirmation.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
reply to TSILiz

A typical dose of Rogers forgetting the total impact of their node splits on their TPIA clients.

pulp46
Premium
reply to TSI Marc

I need my internetz for work. If I can get a heads up of a possible outage.... the more work I can accomplish when its online so as to alleviate the pain of being swamped when it returns. LOL

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

It's hard to know pulp ... Rogers doesn't warn its own customers that it's doing work, so they sure as hell aren't going to notify the TPIAs. After all, residential internet shouldn't be life or death ... according to Rogers!

mmasse

join:2011-03-16
reply to TSI Marc

I'm trying to connect from work but so far no luck.
I'll do a reboot when I get home.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to pulp46

yeah, unfortunately we don't get any warnings either..

I hope that the same areas don't get shuffled around too often.. somehow I have it in my mind that this will all settle down after a while and we get enter into a period of steadiness.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to mmasse

k, hopefully it just needs a kick start.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON

1 edit

Well, they're definitely NOT done working on the Fallowfield POI -- not everyone has 8/4 yet, so more work to be done. Hopefully without big outages.

pulp46
Premium

Oh SNAP! I'd forgotten about that... still not upgraded here in Carp. My lord!