R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

My last gaming purchases.

As stated on my topic this might be my last few game purcheses for possibly a very long time or for good. Dead space 3 (coming 2013 February), Far cry 3 (coming december this year), metro Last light (coming sometime near spring next year), Shootmania storm (beta version out now).. These are the games i am wanting, i am a satellite user and the connection is not reliable nor stable.

Can I run all these games on a offline mode after purchasing, downloading/buying disc and the validating them? I know Shootmania storm deffinately cant be ran in offline mode but that will soon hopefully will be of no issue cause im buying it and hopefully it will allow me to play on LAN. After having a very bad experience with Diablo 3 and COD MW3 i am now very catius due to the connection i have... Thank you for who ever gives an accurate answer.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10

Torchlight 2, is similar to Diablo 3 in style and play control.

It does NOT require an online connection to play. But if you do have a connection, you can use the same character you use offline, to play online with others.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to diablo1892

Many mainstream titles require an always-on connection nowadays, it sucks. I don't know about Far Cry 3, but I am guessing that DS3 will require it.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to diablo1892

Yes I already have torchlight 2 and diablo 3, all i have to say about diablo 3 is i'm shunned. I bought diablo 3 but not torchlight 2 and i'm happy that i did'nt. I agree there are many games out now that require you to have some sort of connection either to just get it validated and fully unlocked or to play online with friends.

I'm seeing alot of games on steam that only have a multiplayer platform and thats it.. I'm staying away from these games thats for sure. one other thing, i recently bought shootmania, and i'm puking up my guts everytime i play it.. The game lags extremely laggy and with very clutchy moves. Games like these are NOT meant for satellite thats for sure.
--
HN7000S/ 1 watt/ pro plus edition/ 4 pc's on a D-Link wired router/ 1-2 pc's on wireless D-Link router with password

Savious
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4

said by diablo1892:

Yes I already have torchlight 2 and diablo 3, all i have to say about diablo 3 is i'm shunned. I bought diablo 3 but not torchlight 2 and i'm happy that i did'nt.

Im so confused.
--
Jobbie told me to keep my signature the same. This is me rebelling.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

I'm shunned about Diablo 3 means i completely disagree/think the opposite. While being a satellite user, the congestion and lag in delay is not so great so gaming experience is not so good and yes i did buy Diablo 3 so i have a real paid for key. Diablo 3 needs connection and my provider is in no way capable of running it, have not touched diablo 3 in over 3 months (ever since the release day) servers are all the time doing maintenance work, updates for gameplay suck causing the game to be childish.

I did not pay for torchlight 2 so this means i do not have a real paid for key for it, i'm happy i did not pay for torchlight 2 also due to congestion and lag issues, also if in the future for whatever reason if torchlight 2 can only be played with only connection then i wont have to worry about a thing

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok? sorry i could'nt reed your post very good, my eye sight aint like it should, haha i'm even only 20 years old and eye sights already bad thats aweful.. What do you mean that you guess DS3 will require connection? Just for getting the key put in and getting game unlocked, or do you mean to play any of the game at all?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by diablo1892:

Krisnatharok? sorry i could'nt reed your post very good, my eye sight aint like it should, haha i'm even only 20 years old and eye sights already bad thats aweful.. What do you mean that you guess DS3 will require connection? Just for getting the key put in and getting game unlocked, or do you mean to play any of the game at all?

Buddy, in case you've been living under a rock since May--Diablo 3 requires a CONSTANT, always-on internet connection. It's like playing an MMO--when your connection lags, so does everything in the game.

DC for a second? You'll reconnect and find yourself killed by that pack of mobs you were fighting. There is no offline option, even after authentication. Everything occurs on Blizzard's servers, nothing happens on your computer

The game sucks, just avoid it.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

said by Krisnatharok:

said by diablo1892:

Buddy, in case you've been living under a rock since May--Diablo 3 requires a CONSTANT, always-on internet connection. It's like playing an MMO--when your connection lags, so does everything in the game.

DC for a second? You'll reconnect and find yourself killed by that pack of mobs you were fighting. There is no offline option, even after authentication. Everything occurs on Blizzard's servers, nothing happens on your computer

The game sucks, just avoid it.

Still does'nt answer my question: "What do you mean that you guess DS3 will require connection? Just for getting the key put in and getting game unlocked, or do you mean to play any of the game at all?" By this I mean will I be able to validate game then go offline? will i be able to disconnect computer from internet connection and then be able to still play DS3?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Oh my bad, misread that as D3.

Well, Dead Space 2 requires you to log-in to EA in-game before you play, but I don't know if it allows offline play or not.

I rarely, if ever, play games online, considering I have broadband.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

If I remember correctly, I always opted out of logging into the EA server when playing Dead Space 2.

Hopefully DS3 stays the same.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

Friendly, WV
reply to Krisnatharok

Well its possible that I could buy game and then get a crack like with Crysis 2. I will still be supporting EA, just needing an offline route baddly(:

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

Oh my bad, misread that as D3.

Well, Dead Space 2 requires you to log-in to EA in-game before you play, but I don't know if it allows offline play or not.

I rarely, if ever, play games online, considering I have broadband.

Since when does DS2 require that?

I have that game, and all I did was put my CD Key in and it worked fine. No need to create any EA ID or log into anything. I believe you are mistaken.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I'll have to check when I get home. I could have sworn it required an EA log-in when you start up the game.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

Friendly, WV
reply to Nightfall

It did require an account with just MP mode not SP unless you did play MP, then i missed something.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

Friendly, WV
reply to diablo1892

Sorry guys but i tried just now loading up my steam but saddly its failed due to connection being so messed up.. let me try offline, be back

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to diablo1892

said by diablo1892:

It did require an account with just MP mode not SP unless you did play MP, then i missed something.

This is correct.

If you want to play Multiplayer online, it does require a sign in at that time. Single Player is offline and requires no login.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

Click for full size
Click for full size
These screenshots were taken while steam account was online(:

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

OK, my bad, I just assumed you had to log-in to EA to play, I never tried to bypass the log-in screen.

TheThing

reply to diablo1892

I'm still confused.

Torchlight 2 DOES NOT require a connection to play.

You can play it 100% OFFLINE.

and in the future, if you do get a stable connection to the interwebs, then you can use that same character online.

Not liking Diablo 3 for connection issues, and then applying that same logic to Torchlight 2 doesn't make sense.

UNLESS, you baught Torchlight 2 from steam... Which you shouldnt have. Since steam requires you to be online all the time. for the most part... i know it has some stupid offline mode thats hit or miss from what i read

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by TheThing:

UNLESS, you baught Torchlight 2 from steam... Which you shouldnt have. Since steam requires you to be online all the time. for the most part... i know it has some stupid offline mode thats hit or miss from what i read

I have never had a problem with offline mode, it works fine.
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

said by Krisnatharok:

said by TheThing:

I have never had a problem with offline mode, it works fine.

The only problem is that you have to go offline mode while being online other than that it works fine.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

TheThing

reply to Krisnatharok

I'm not a regular Steam user, since I don't play a wide variety of games.

But when I did try it, for Torchlight 2, it very quickly reminded me of an iTunes for gaming. and I HATE iTunes!

It also reminds me of amazon, where you buy digital copies of books, which amazon ultimately controls and you don't!

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

I have a love/hate relationship with Steam.
On the one hand, purchasing is easy (maybe too easy).
On the other, I prefer disks that require no internet connection, just a one time verification.
That and I want to control when, and if games get updated.
--
~ Project Hope ~

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

1 edit
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

I'm still confused.

Torchlight 2 DOES NOT require a connection to play.

You can play it 100% OFFLINE.

and in the future, if you do get a stable connection to the interwebs, then you can use that same character online.

Not liking Diablo 3 for connection issues, and then applying that same logic to Torchlight 2 doesn't make sense.

TheThing? Just ignore what i said... Yes games on steam require to be online- some sort of data has to be downloaded before you can play, why is this? it may be hard to explain but when you go online and the game sees there is a new update out for it but can only be set off if you try playing it.

I got the whitcher 2 game a long time ago and the game is 17GB in size and it toke me a long time to get it so one day not long ago i started it playing it for like the second time, well come to find out that i have to re-download the entire game all over again, yes the entire game 17GB in size using satellite provider at 245kb/s taking 5 - 7 days to complete the download.. After I buy a few more games from steam I am done with them, i will no longer be buying newer games in the future. There was nothing wrong with my whitcher 2 game installation, the first time i had it fully downloaded the game work perfectly fine, no interruptions, no errors nothing.. It was a fragmentation error i think after having it installed on my computer for so long i don't know.

I know I can't play 90% of my games offline, and i have a total of around 50 currently installed. Sometimes after I am done playing one of my games I will see that my steam account had been reconnected to the steam servers more than just 5 times but maybe 20 times.. This is exactly why I am doing research and trying to find out if i need connection for any of the games that i mentioned in my very first post in this thread.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by diablo1892:

TheThing? Just ignore what i said... Yes games on steam require to be online- some sort of data has to be downloaded before you can play, why is this? it may be hard to explain but when you go online and the game sees there is a new update out for it but can only be set off if you try playing it.

You have to have authenticated your log-in credentials at some point in the past to play the games associated with your account.
--