Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to TheThing

Premium Member

to TheThing

Re: My last gaming purchases.

said by TheThing:

UNLESS, you baught Torchlight 2 from steam... Which you shouldnt have. Since steam requires you to be online all the time. for the most part... i know it has some stupid offline mode thats hit or miss from what i read

I have never had a problem with offline mode, it works fine.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

said by TheThing:

UNLESS, you baught Torchlight 2 from steam... Which you shouldnt have. Since steam requires you to be online all the time. for the most part... i know it has some stupid offline mode thats hit or miss from what i read

I have never had a problem with offline mode, it works fine.

The only problem is that you have to go offline mode while being online other than that it works fine.

TheThing
join:2012-08-10

TheThing to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
I'm not a regular Steam user, since I don't play a wide variety of games.

But when I did try it, for Torchlight 2, it very quickly reminded me of an iTunes for gaming. and I HATE iTunes!

It also reminds me of amazon, where you buy digital copies of books, which amazon ultimately controls and you don't!

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

I have a love/hate relationship with Steam.
On the one hand, purchasing is easy (maybe too easy).
On the other, I prefer disks that require no internet connection, just a one time verification.
That and I want to control when, and if games get updated.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

1 edit

diablo18926 to TheThing

to TheThing
said by TheThing:

I'm still confused.

Torchlight 2 DOES NOT require a connection to play.

You can play it 100% OFFLINE.

and in the future, if you do get a stable connection to the interwebs, then you can use that same character online.

Not liking Diablo 3 for connection issues, and then applying that same logic to Torchlight 2 doesn't make sense.

TheThing? Just ignore what i said... Yes games on steam require to be online- some sort of data has to be downloaded before you can play, why is this? it may be hard to explain but when you go online and the game sees there is a new update out for it but can only be set off if you try playing it.

I got the whitcher 2 game a long time ago and the game is 17GB in size and it toke me a long time to get it so one day not long ago i started it playing it for like the second time, well come to find out that i have to re-download the entire game all over again, yes the entire game 17GB in size using satellite provider at 245kb/s taking 5 - 7 days to complete the download.. After I buy a few more games from steam I am done with them, i will no longer be buying newer games in the future. There was nothing wrong with my whitcher 2 game installation, the first time i had it fully downloaded the game work perfectly fine, no interruptions, no errors nothing.. It was a fragmentation error i think after having it installed on my computer for so long i don't know.

I know I can't play 90% of my games offline, and i have a total of around 50 currently installed. Sometimes after I am done playing one of my games I will see that my steam account had been reconnected to the steam servers more than just 5 times but maybe 20 times.. This is exactly why I am doing research and trying to find out if i need connection for any of the games that i mentioned in my very first post in this thread.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by diablo18926:

TheThing? Just ignore what i said... Yes games on steam require to be online- some sort of data has to be downloaded before you can play, why is this? it may be hard to explain but when you go online and the game sees there is a new update out for it but can only be set off if you try playing it.

You have to have authenticated your log-in credentials at some point in the past to play the games associated with your account.