how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Revenge

join:2012-10-29
Australia
reply to Madcap

Re: New Gaming Headset, but $100 or less?

I personally use Plantronic Gamecom 777's. I've recommended them to my friends, and they all love them as well. It's probably one of the best cost-efficient microphone quality i have heard from a headset.

They are square cups, have "true 7.1" using multiple speakers, which is nice. In-line volume controls. Only issue is Plantronics doesn't develop them anymore in favour for the newer model, which is uglier, and more expensive.

So you'd have to look at eBay if you wanted to find any. That said, they will go for around $60-$70 brand new. Ive had them for a good 5 months now, no problems, no complaints, very happy

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Madcap
Click for full size
Sharkoon Announces the X-Tatic Air Wireless Gaming Headset

»www.techpowerup.com/174764/Shark···set.html

StubbyinKCMO

join:2008-11-15
Kansas City, MO
reply to Revenge
Dunno what you were reading, but its SIMULATED 7.1. I thought I was losing my mind, when I am currently looking at the pair I have had for a year when you said that.

And from Plantronics website...»www.plantronics.com/us/product/gamecom-777 it appears that they no longer make them.

I am currently looking at some of the newer ACTUAL 5.1 or 7.1 headsets as I remember the good old days of my Razer Barracuda TRUE 5.1. Stupid headband kept breaking though. Cheap wire instead of something stronger. But they were also above your price point at $125 at the time. This was about 5 years ago. They also no longer make them either. FPS shooters almost demand TRUE surround sound to hear someone sneaking up on you to stab you. Its saved me more times than I can think of.

Willies13
Premium
join:2009-09-28
Montpelier, OH
reply to I AM
said by I AM:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···00%20usb

After doing a good amount of research I settled on the ones above. I love them.

I did the same and would buy another set if these went bad . This is the first head set I've had that has held up . BUT ONE THING make sure you download the software . With out it they sound like crap . You need the equalizer . If you are running Windows 8 run the software in compatibility mode and it will work fine .

charrog
Life In The Golden Isles
Premium
join:2002-03-10
Brunswick, GA
reply to Revenge
I would have to agree have the Plantronic Gamecom and absolutely love it...
--
Pray for our troops!!God Bless the USA!!

Revenge

join:2012-10-29
Australia
reply to StubbyinKCMO
Last i checked, your definition of real was several different speakers inside the headphone cups? And the Plantronics has said thing?

Headsets don't have true Surround, because its not actually *behind* you. It uses multiple speakers in the headset to *simulate* surround. The Gamecom 777's does these. I noted that they are no longer being manufactured by Plantronics due to the newer model (which i haven't tested) but you can still find decent quality or even new ones on eBay currently.

StubbyinKCMO

join:2008-11-15
Kansas City, MO
Yes Revenge, TRUE surround sound is achieved with multiple speakers in the same ear cup.

And per the wikipedia entry the Gamecom use VIRTUAL surround sound to do just that. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Headphone

However, we both can agree that the Gamecom is a really good headset and met the OP price point. If he can find them on Ebay or something similar I would recommend he get them as they meet his requirements very well.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Revenge
said by Revenge:

Last i checked, your definition of real was several different speakers inside the headphone cups? And the Plantronics has said thing?

Headsets don't have true Surround, because its not actually *behind* you. It uses multiple speakers in the headset to *simulate* surround. The Gamecom 777's does these. I noted that they are no longer being manufactured by Plantronics due to the newer model (which i haven't tested) but you can still find decent quality or even new ones on eBay currently.

Regardless of whether the speakers are six feet directly behind your chair or right behind your ear in a headphone, you still listen through your ears and the sound-waves still have to enter your ear.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Madcap
Thought I'd chime in on this thread because I did end up getting the Corsair Vengeance 1500's for Christmas. They installed quick and easy after downloading the driver from Corsair (not in box). I tried them first with WoW, and I was amazed at the difference in sound. I had decent headphones before, but they were just 2.0. I am extremely impressed at how good these things sound for being a simulated/USB type headphone.

They are pretty solid and decently built for a sub $100 headphone and the braided cord is very nice and really long which is nice. The volume controller is back-lit which is a nice feature, unfortunately the actual +/- symbols are not so although you can see the controller you are still guessing in the dark which way is up and down.

And the bad. These are the most uncomfortable headphones I have ever worn. I mean it's really bad how tight these things are. It's been a month and I have been thinking they would break in, but they are still as bad as the day I got them. I have started now giving them a good hard bend each night before wearing them hoping they will loosen up a bit. My ears kill me after only a short while wearing them and even though the top head band has a decent amount of memory foam padding, the band hurts my head really bad too.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
The Vengeance 1500s have 50mm drivers (I think), which is unheard of at their price-point.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Dissembled
@Dissembled - I would definitely not settle for or keep any headphones that cause pain or discomfort. They are suppose to be comfortable and should continue to be as comfortable at hour 8 as they were at hour 1 of use. If you're really in that much discomfort, ditch the headset you're using! Don't keep them, send them back where you bought them and try out another pair.

When I wear my headphones they are so comfortable that I often times forget they're even on my head. Doesn't help that my new headset is wireless either(not the Tritton AX Pro's I suggested above) so I've stood up and done things around the room with them on before. That's how you know you have a comfortable set of headphones. That's how a solid, good fitting pair of headphones should be.

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI
I have the $60 pair of turtle beaches and have been pleased with them. They work for xbox and pc.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Madcap
»www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-···3d+sigma

These are the headphones I've been using now for roughly a year. Creative Tactic Sigmas. Best headphones at $70 you can buy, in my opinion. Super comfortable, 50mm drivers, excellence software and surround sound. Wireless are about 30 dollars more.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
Nevermind, I found the answer to my question.

Noise-Canceling Microphone for Clear Communication

A detachable noise-canceling microphone is built into the headset, allowing you to communicate clearly with your teammates. You can control volume and microphone settings with convenient inline controls in the cord.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to TruSm0ke
said by TruSm0ke:

@Dissembled - I would definitely not settle for or keep any headphones that cause pain or discomfort. They are suppose to be comfortable and should continue to be as comfortable at hour 8 as they were at hour 1 of use. If you're really in that much discomfort, ditch the headset you're using! Don't keep them, send them back where you bought them and try out another pair.

After reading just about every single review out there on sub $100 headphones, it's the reason I went with the Tactic Sigmas. Uncomfortable headphones are a no go in my book. That's completely unacceptable.

ALso, after hearing 50mm drivers in action, I'll never opt for anything less.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to TruSm0ke
edit: double post

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Madcap
I probably need to see if I can get hold of Amazon and see if they will give me a credit or something. I got them as a gift and it's past 30 days, so I'm not sure if I'm screwed or what.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Madcap
I wear my Logitech G930s around the house. Wireless is awesome, except for them going dead for about 3-5 seconds every 30-60 minutes as the wireless controller resets, or something.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.