Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester to Count Zero

Premium Member

to Count Zero

Re: [iPhone] Bigger Fail Than Maps ...

said by Count Zero:

How would you need to buy 4? 1 comes with the phone, 1 for the car and 1 more for work/travel? For over a year you haven't had to plug the phone into the computer to sync so you don't need one for your desk really...

I forgot about one coming with the phone so I would still need to buy at least 3. I manually sync and back up everything and the wireless sync crap would be shut off right away. I don't need nor do I want everything from my phone on all my computers and I sure as hell don't want or need to share all my pictures with everyone. I have so many microUSB cables that I have them everywhere. I have one on my nightstand, one at my main home computer, one at my hobby/telescope/armory computer, one In my truck, one in my telescope laptop bag, two 2 at my work computer and one or two in my cable/charge drawer.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

Ok so you'd buy 3 ($60) and use them the next 5-10 years. The 30-pin cable wound up working out the same way (buy a few extra ones early and all future iDevices come with one so you wind up with extras in the long run). If that $60 is breaking your bank then you've got other problems.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

67845017 (banned)

Notwithstanding your Apple apologist stance, going with a worldwide standard makes things a lot easier if/when a person leaves a cable behind (or loses it somewhere) to get a cheap cable anywhere or knowing that there's likely one at whatever destination a person happens to be going. It's really simple common sense.

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

Very true that having a standard is helpful if you forget a cable. But having a proprietary standard isn't always bad if it allows for Apple to ensure the user experience is better by enforcing standards onto the third party community. Plus it keeps Android users from getting access to all the bells and whistles of made for iPhone accessories and that's fine by me

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

2 edits

skeechan

Premium Member

Proprietary is only good if it offers more FUNCTIONALITY. Micro USB isn't proprietary and I have no problem getting quality cables.

Meanwhile Apple-proprietary means great vendors like Hypermac getting sued even when they bought official Magsafe devices to cut the ends off for use in their battery products. So now you have to buy the battery and a stupid airline connector or do the soldering yourself.

The rest of that statement is silly. All made for iPod and no one else means is higher cost for those devices. If they have universal connectivity for Android and iPod it means they sell more and thanks to a little thing called economy of scale we get those goodies cheaper. I don't give a piss what Android users buy but the stuff I buy would be better without an Apple tax.
Expand your moderator at work
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to skeechan

to skeechan

said by skeechan:

Proprietary is only good if it offers more FUNCTIONALITY. Micro USB isn't proprietary and I have no problem getting quality cables.

Meanwhile Apple-proprietary means great vendors like Hypermac getting sued even when they bought official Magsafe devices to cut the ends off for use in their battery products. So now you have to buy the battery and a stupid airline connector or do the soldering yourself.

The rest of that statement is silly. All made for iPod and no one else means is higher cost for those devices. If they have universal connectivity for Android and iPod it means they sell more and thanks to a little thing called economy of scale we get those goodies cheaper. I don't give a piss what Android users buy but the stuff I buy would be better without an Apple tax.

It's the "Instagram Phenomenon". I've never understood that attitude . . .

TheHarvester
Premium Member
Dana Point, CA

Premium Member

to Count Zero

said by Count Zero:

Ok so you'd buy 3 ($60) and use them the next 5-10 years. The 30-pin cable wound up working out the same way (buy a few extra ones early and all future iDevices come with one so you wind up with extras in the long run). If that $60 is breaking your bank then you've got other problems.

No, $60.00 wouldn't break the bank and like I said, "if I were to buy an iphone 5". That won't happen so Apple can change the connector with every version for all I care.

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

So then, your point in posting here was what exactly?

TheHarvester
Premium Member
Dana Point, CA

Premium Member

to Count Zero

said by Count Zero:

So then, your point in posting here was what exactly?

Thinkdiff See Profile posted a link and claiming that even the microusb isn't standard on the galaxy SIII and you would need an adapter to use that phone as well. I simply pointed out that it was NOT the microusb connector and that it was the HDMI connector. SIII owners would need to buy an adapter ONLY if they wanted to connect their phone to an HD television and not to use the existing accessories they already bought for their earlier phone.

I simply pointed out a mistake by an Apple user and all hell breaks loss. Then you guys call me a cheap bastard with personal, mental or financial issues.
{shakes head}