TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

Re: Google DNS versus ours

I understand what you are saying though, there are more details the namedbench report spews out that is missing here and I didn't necessarily want to publish it for fear of releasing internal network info.

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu

MVM

Understood. And yeah, in my original/first reply, I linked to the namebench site -- their graphs are identical in layout (see "Response Distribution Chart"), meaning the use of a line plot model.

I had a 4th colleague of mine (better educated than myself, especially in mathematics) look at the graphs as well, and he agrees the presentation model is incorrect for what kind of data is trying to be plotted (not that the data itself is wrong!). There are better presentation/layout models (scatter, etc.) that would present the information in a way that makes more sense, but that's not your fault -- it's the fault of namebench. Although since it uses the Google Chart API, the HTTP arguments could be changed to refer to a different model.

The part that shocks me the most is that namebench was written by a pair of Google employees. I'm surprised that someone would write such a useful tool then completely botch the visual representation part. "It's open source, so go fix it, koitsu!" Yeah, and it's Python; I'd rather swallow hot coals.

Anyway, thanks for chiming in and clarifying a bit, TSI Gabe See Profile, very much appreciated!
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to TSI Gabe

Premium Member

to TSI Gabe
Gabe,

You might want to invest in a copy of this bible
»www.edwardtufte.com/tuft ··· oks_vdqi