how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

Consider the original cable modem

TWC would have kept that modem around until the day it died, whereas if you buy the modem the consumer makes the decision when to replace and on what terms. Personally if they started charging this $4, I would roll into the store and demand the latest and greatest D3 modem, because if you are "paying" you should have the latest tech.

Theoretically if you are now paying "wireline maintenance" for a "box" TWC should be more aggressive in replacement programs and that simply will not happen. After all these are (guessing) leased with a depot program for no more than $30-$40.

In the end this is simply a rate hike but justified for some capex lease that TWC has to undergo, but in the end it's pure profit, unless you have phone service then it's free.

If TWC were smart (apparently they are not), they would upsell wireless versions or separate routers and then offer a geek squad (like signature home) for maintaining people's wireless access points. You could easily charge another $5-$10 incremental on this.

But then I see that getting your own modem provisioned is utterly painful, would you want them maintaining your wireless infrastructure?

So then they wonder why they are simply a pipe and not a true service provider.

My FIOS comes w/ a no-charge wireless access point that VZ has made some pretty nice software to manage it (I don't use it because I use native Ethernet), but that shows that it can be done.

It's amazing just how monopoly-type companies lack in thought leadership and innovation. They didn't even come up with a good story to try to justify the rate hike. If there were more competition they would be forced to innovate and upsell to make margin, at benefit to the consumer. Instead, pay me $150 and you get what we had 10 years ago when it was $70.

Calculata

join:2009-05-04

"And if you've got an older Wi-Fi router, the SBG6580 should also improve wireless connections around the house."

John Quain at Fox News doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. I really hate "fact destroyers" like this fool. The modem is going to magically provide better "wifi broadcasting" for your old separate piece of equipment router ?!

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

I think it's obvious he's talking about 802.11b/g vs 802.11n without getting into specifics for non-tech oriented readers. I don't see how that sentence implies a combined unit will have better WiFi connections than separate equipment.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!