how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

Spectrum Crunch

So if there is a spectrum crunch, then why the 9 year cycle to refarm old spectrum--because obviously there is none.

And voice runs over juicy 850Mhz and 1900 which can be easily used for 4G. If VoLTE comes in 2014, then another 7 years to shut down old networks?

Oh what a leisurely pace for such impending disaster.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by elefante72:

So if there is a spectrum crunch, then why the 9 year cycle to refarm old spectrum--because obviously there is none.

Do you prepare for a hurricane before hurricane season when there isn't even a hint of a threat or wait until 24 hours before landfall?

Also they said BY 2021. That's in 8 years 2 1/2 months not 9 years. If I say if something is going to happen by BY a certain data that doesn't mean it can't happen before then.

They can't end 2G and 3G today because they don't even have VoLTE ready yet. even when that is ready it will take time to refarm the spectrum. And even if they could do that in 2014 too many luddites would complain that their 2G and 3G devices no longer work and you know this.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to elefante72
said by elefante72:

And voice runs over juicy 850Mhz and 1900 which can be easily used for 4G. If VoLTE comes in 2014, then another 7 years to shut down old networks?

Nothing leisurely about it. The problem isn't so much handsets, but embedded devices. Lots of work there.

As for the 'juicy' 850mhz band - you know that VZW is using even 'juicier' 700mhz frequencies for LTE, right?

Premium
West Tenness
said by dennismurphy:

said by elefante72:

Nothing leisurely about it. The problem isn't so much handsets, but embedded devices. Lots of work there.

As for the 'juicy' 850mhz band - you know that VZW is using even 'juicier' 700mhz frequencies for LTE, right?

Yep in fact 1900 MHz will actually suck for 4G. And people will complain about that.

elefante72

East Amherst, NY
reply to 88615298
Actually yes. I grew up in Miami and the people who prepared had the least amount of damage. Guess what when 24 hours out just try to get plywood.

My point is if there is an impending doomsday, you would assume that low frequency spectrum which they already "lease" would be top of mind to refarm.

As to sunsetting devices, oh well. They could easily push them off to MVNO with a reseller agreement.

If you look at handset composition, all smartphones are 4G today and VoLTE capable. Verizon (look at their new plans) by pricing has already pushed flip phones out the door. Do you think that Froyo 2.2 is going to fly in 2020?

It's not like the old days when I had my StarTac for 4 years, handset cycles are way more aggressive these days.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1
reply to elefante72
It's common sense, it takes a long time to get customers off older 2G and 3G technology, and if your too forceful, you risk losing customers, and once they all off it takes time to reconfigure the network to use the new frequency, get handsets that use the new frequency etc.

People like me may buy a new phone every year, and people with smartphones may upgrade every two. But for people who just have old dumbphones they hardly ever upgrade unless the phone breaks. I mother has an old 2G AT&T phone that I'm still trying to get her to upgrade she's had it for 6 years or more.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to elefante72
said by elefante72:

Actually yes. I grew up in Miami and the people who prepared had the least amount of damage. Guess what when 24 hours out just try to get plywood.

So you prove my point. It's better to be safe than sorry.

My point is if there is an impending doomsday, you would assume that low frequency spectrum which they already "lease" would be top of mind to refarm.

Verizon JUST RECENTLY got approved to buy that spectrum from cable companies. Back when they were originally talking about spectrum crisis they didn't have permission, hell they hadn't even approached them about buying that spectrum yet. So now they have this spectrum and it pushes back any issues a few years. And somehow people want to bash Verizon for this? They took action to avoid a crisis that didn't involve kicking luddites to the curb or taking OTA spectrum from broadcasters and Verizon is bad guy for doing that?

elefante72

East Amherst, NY
reply to dennismurphy
Yes I do. 850Mhz has excellent building penetration also. Better than AWS or Clear bands.

As for embedded devices and GSA schedule the sunset schedule is 5 years after EOL and of course operating contracts.

This also doesn't preclude them subcontracting spectrum on another carrier during the transition or lease them out, or use only the PCS band.

The point I am trying to get across is that if they really had their back up against a wall they could be creative.

THERE IS NOT SPECTRUM EXHAUSTION PEOPLE.