uniqs
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to elefante72

to elefante72

Re: Spectrum Crunch

said by elefante72:

So if there is a spectrum crunch, then why the 9 year cycle to refarm old spectrum--because obviously there is none.

Do you prepare for a hurricane before hurricane season when there isn't even a hint of a threat or wait until 24 hours before landfall?

Also they said BY 2021. That's in 8 years 2 1/2 months not 9 years. If I say if something is going to happen by BY a certain data that doesn't mean it can't happen before then.

They can't end 2G and 3G today because they don't even have VoLTE ready yet. even when that is ready it will take time to refarm the spectrum. And even if they could do that in 2014 too many luddites would complain that their 2G and 3G devices no longer work and you know this.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Actually yes. I grew up in Miami and the people who prepared had the least amount of damage. Guess what when 24 hours out just try to get plywood.

My point is if there is an impending doomsday, you would assume that low frequency spectrum which they already "lease" would be top of mind to refarm.

As to sunsetting devices, oh well. They could easily push them off to MVNO with a reseller agreement.

If you look at handset composition, all smartphones are 4G today and VoLTE capable. Verizon (look at their new plans) by pricing has already pushed flip phones out the door. Do you think that Froyo 2.2 is going to fly in 2020?

It's not like the old days when I had my StarTac for 4 years, handset cycles are way more aggressive these days.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by elefante72:

Actually yes. I grew up in Miami and the people who prepared had the least amount of damage. Guess what when 24 hours out just try to get plywood.

So you prove my point. It's better to be safe than sorry.

My point is if there is an impending doomsday, you would assume that low frequency spectrum which they already "lease" would be top of mind to refarm.

Verizon JUST RECENTLY got approved to buy that spectrum from cable companies. Back when they were originally talking about spectrum crisis they didn't have permission, hell they hadn't even approached them about buying that spectrum yet. So now they have this spectrum and it pushes back any issues a few years. And somehow people want to bash Verizon for this? They took action to avoid a crisis that didn't involve kicking luddites to the curb or taking OTA spectrum from broadcasters and Verizon is bad guy for doing that?