Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72

Re: Spectrum Crunch

said by elefante72:

So if there is a spectrum crunch, then why the 9 year cycle to refarm old spectrum--because obviously there is none.

And voice runs over juicy 850Mhz and 1900 which can be easily used for 4G. If VoLTE comes in 2014, then another 7 years to shut down old networks?

Oh what a leisurely pace for such impending disaster.

Nothing leisurely about it. The problem isn't so much handsets, but embedded devices. Lots of work there.

As for the 'juicy' 850mhz band - you know that VZW is using even 'juicier' 700mhz frequencies for LTE, right?
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by dennismurphy:

said by elefante72:

So if there is a spectrum crunch, then why the 9 year cycle to refarm old spectrum--because obviously there is none.

And voice runs over juicy 850Mhz and 1900 which can be easily used for 4G. If VoLTE comes in 2014, then another 7 years to shut down old networks?

Oh what a leisurely pace for such impending disaster.

Nothing leisurely about it. The problem isn't so much handsets, but embedded devices. Lots of work there.

As for the 'juicy' 850mhz band - you know that VZW is using even 'juicier' 700mhz frequencies for LTE, right?

Yep in fact 1900 MHz will actually suck for 4G. And people will complain about that.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to dennismurphy

to dennismurphy
Yes I do. 850Mhz has excellent building penetration also. Better than AWS or Clear bands.

As for embedded devices and GSA schedule the sunset schedule is 5 years after EOL and of course operating contracts.

This also doesn't preclude them subcontracting spectrum on another carrier during the transition or lease them out, or use only the PCS band.

The point I am trying to get across is that if they really had their back up against a wall they could be creative.

THERE IS NOT SPECTRUM EXHAUSTION PEOPLE.