how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

snedecor

join:2001-08-03
Angleton, TX

Got the Forced Conversion Letter!

I just received a paper letter from AT&T telling me I am forcibly being converted from DSL (elite) to Uverse. There is only Uverse internet in my town (no phone or TV).

What should I request in the way of equipment? Any concessions I should ask for? What "gotchas" should I be aware of?

Equipment and self-install should be free, right? I'm expecting to be grandfathered into the same rate I'm paying, at the same speed level.

It it a cinch that 6 mbps Uverse can be had on the same physical wires that 6 mbps DSL ran on?

Thanks for any advice!

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
Nothing to worry about with equip. Your going to get the same Motoroal NVG510 modem/router combo that any new customer would get.
The older ADSL can tolerate bridge taps on the inside home wiring. The Uverse ADSL2+ won't be as stable as your current DSL unless you have an isolated pair from the NID to where the new modem will be.

snedecor

join:2001-08-03
Angleton, TX
Any chance of getting just a modem? I've got my wireless N router all set up with port forwarding/VPN/separate 2.4/5 channels, etc.

Uverse "won't be as stable" as DSL?????? We're changing from 1990's technology to 2010 technology, and "won't be as stable"? Is the technician going to do this direct to NID run for me?

I'm not changing this, they are...

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to Forosnai
I had U-Verse IP-DSL and it was just as stable as U-Verse VDSL. It actually was BETTER than VDSL. both were in Toledo and same zipcode. moved a short time after having the VDSL to a new house and it wasn't available. So i got the next best thing.

I went from a 2-wire device to the Mot, and it worked as soon as i got it. Didn't need any username/passwords or anything.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
reply to snedecor
said by snedecor:

Uverse "won't be as stable" as DSL?????? We're changing from 1990's technology to 2010 technology, and "won't be as stable"? Is the technician going to do this direct to NID run for me?

Please read it again:
quote:
The Uverse ADSL2+ won't be as stable as your current DSL unless you have an isolated pair from the NID to where the new modem will be.

All Forosnai See Profile is saying is that U-verse Internet works best with a "home run" from the NID to the wall jack where the modem will be.

P.S. Depending on your distance to the DSLAM, you will get the same speed on U-verse Internet as on ADSL at the least. With ADSL2+/VDSL, you could qualify for higher tiers (12Mb/s, or 18Mb/s) than is possible with ADSL.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19
reply to snedecor
Yep you gonna need a home run from nid to modem and you better hope you get one of the good 1/2 price techs.
The uv dept has 60% turn over rate and cant hire techs fast enough.

Sounds like your getting adsl2 not true uv

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to snedecor
said by snedecor:

Any chance of getting just a modem? I've got my wireless N router all set up with port forwarding/VPN/separate 2.4/5 channels, etc.

I'm not changing this, they are...

It's more 80's technology (DSL), only with better codecs and better connection methods that squeeze a few more mbits your way.

You aren't getting fiber, they switched up some lines with fiber but the last mile from the VRAD is the same copper you are currently using.

Depending on how old the lines are, it may very much be less stable to run Uverse, esp. if you try to send more bandwidth thru

AnonMan

@comcast.net
You will be able to get phone on Uverse if you want now.

TV depends if is ADSL2 or VDSL.

It sounds like ADSL2 based on you saying they don't do TV though but phone service can run on the moto box also so if you want phone feel free to get it.

If you get ADSL2 you should be able to get a faster service beyond 6 meg but probably just one more jump so maybe 12 meg.

The good thing about the ADSL2 version is it does not do interleaving so your pings don't get screwed as bad as VDSL people

When they come to do the install just ask the tech what your max sync is. As for equipment, since they are forcing you, you shouldn't have to pay. If they try to say you have to pay for it if you want a faster service wait for them to do the install and all and after call for the speed upgrade

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:14
said by AnonMan :

You will be able to get phone on Uverse if you want now.

Nope, still not available here...

/M