how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Timmy2Teeth

join:2006-12-05
Fort Erie, ON

Speed problem this week

I subscribe to the advanced package and have been on the 30/2 "testing" service since signing up in August. Speedtests since signing up have always shown about 32/2 speeds. I've been watching to see my service drop to 20/1.5 as Rocca has said will happen. This week my browsing has been sluggish and I've ran Speedtests a bunch of times. It's ranged from 5/2 to 18/2 and I've tested directly connected to the modem. Currently seeing about 17/2. Since that 2 up has been steady I figure my profile hasn't been dropped yet, so I don't get the download speeds. Another subscriber in the neighbourhood says his pro 30/2 service has been working fine.
I've factory reset my DPC3000 at least 5 times without improvement. I believe my modem stats are about as good as they get. Should I email Start support or can one of you Start folks here help?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
By reset do you mean a factory reset (ie the reset to factory defaults button on the web interface?).

Do you get the same speeds in off-peak times?

Also do you have another PC to test?

Thanks.

Timmy2Teeth

Fort Erie, ON
By factory reset I mean pressing the reset button on the back for 15 seconds. Did that a bunch of times. I did try from a few different PC's but only one connected directly to the modem. I'll try a different one direct tonight.

Can you tell me what times are considered off-peak? I know when my peak time is, but not sure what accepted peak times are for the majority...

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Around 5pm to midnight would be the busiest time for most. Thanks.

Timmy2Teeth

Fort Erie, ON

From just now. Tested with a different laptop connected direct to modem.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Can you PM me your account #? Can't be congestion if it's 2am.

Timmy2Teeth

Fort Erie, ON
PM'ing you now. Current speedtest.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Thanks, PM'd.

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
join:2003-05-24
So, is it local node congestion problem or?
--
www.urimage.net - Free Image Hosting

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
2 am slowdowns not usually a local node issue. Working with him directly and suspecting modem at this point but will know soon.

Timmy2Teeth

Fort Erie, ON
Looks like Rocca's right (is he ever wrong?)...

Countless tests with my DPC-3000 still result in widely varying download speeds from 2Mb to 11Mb (I'm on the 20Mb advanced package). Borrowed my brother's DPC-3000 that he's renting from Start and ran a test:

Immediately put back mine using same power supply and ethernet cable and reran the test:

I'll see what the eBay seller will do for me. Thanks for the help, Rocca.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by Timmy2Teeth:

Looks like Rocca's right (is he ever wrong?)...

Don't ask my wife that question.

said by Timmy2Teeth:

I'll see what the eBay seller will do for me. Thanks for the help, Rocca.

No problem, glad we got to the bottom of it.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Timmy2Teeth
Hey Timmy, did you try running your modem with your brother's power supply? Just curious to see if it changes the result.

Timmy2Teeth

Fort Erie, ON
I didn't try my modem with his power supply, but I did try a second power supply with my modem and saw the same results.

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
reply to Gone
Just out of curiosity, how is power supply going to make any difference to the results?

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by Guru:

Just out of curiosity, how is power supply going to make any difference to the results?

Inadequate supply of power e.g. the amperage being supplied is too low. Could also be defective and throwing out RF across the spectrum, something that could cause issues with something sensitive to noise so close by e.g. cable modem.

It was just a thought.