Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's a beautiful pair of Cisco 7613 Routers equipped as follows:

2x RSP720-3C-10GE
1x WS-X6708-10G-3CXL
1x 76-ES+XC-40G3CXL
2x 6000W AC PSUs

Each one was $345,371.00 + freight shipping.
Oxygen

1 recommendation

Oxygen

Premium Member

Cant forget the high-speed FANTRAY2!
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

1 edit

pb2k to Oxygen

to Oxygen
Always love the big beefy cisco gear

Whats the per slot bandwidth on that badboy? It looks like it retains the 720gbps/chassis of the 7609, but I would assume that the 8x 10gbE card wouldn't be sitting on a 40g slot unless it's deigned for 1+1 redundancy?

Edit: apparently it's still 40gb/s per slot. Curious, whats your deployment strategy for this card?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Sweet

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to Oxygen

to Oxygen
$690,742.00 and they can't throw in shipping?

Oxygen
Times Square can't shine as bright
Premium Member
join:2001-12-04
Huntington Station, NY

Oxygen to pb2k

Premium Member

to pb2k
said by pb2k:

Edit: apparently it's still 40gb/s per slot. Curious, whats your deployment strategy for this card?

I'm not exactly sure what the thought process is, from what I understand it was ordered with very specific instructions and specifications and the client built the boxes and created the configuration. The job here is to assemble, test, test, test, test, test, make it run for a few days then test again, box them up and put them in a vehicle that you'll drive yourself. You can't take any chances here.

As far as deployment, these will be hooked up to 4x ASA5585 (»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 4415.pdf) with 8x 10GbE optical connections and then connect to a whole slew of ISPs via multiple 1GbE and 10GbE connections. A mix of multimode and singlemode optical circuits. These routers will provide internet access as well as MPLS cloud services, all wired up through diverse DWDM rings. These two will probably serve an average of 3 million users on any given weekday.

Even though I had nothing to do with the physical configuration of the boxes, the RSP720-3C-10GE supervisor engine is the perfect choice here as it works great with triple-play services (voice, video data) and is great on layer 2 and layer 3, IPv4 or IPv6, hundreds of millions of packets per second, gigabits of switching, blah blah... If you're interested Cisco has a lot to say about this SUP here: »www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 579f.pdf

Basically what it comes down to, for almost $700,000 you know these will do what Cisco promises you.

What I would really be interested in seeing is how a pair of these would perform against a Juniper router, or even a better a home made machine running some form of Linux FW/Routing software. Service provider level of route and switching is not really my forte as I specialize in unified communications and infrastructure architecture, but after seeing these I think that I want to pursue more projects that involve this type of gear. Because building something that services millions of people is way cooler than delivering service to a thousand people.
Oxygen

1 recommendation

Oxygen to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

$690,742.00 and they can't throw in shipping?

LOL yeah I'm not exactly sure about the logistics involved but you have to assume SOMEONE is paying for that FedEx delivery.
Oxygen

Oxygen

Premium Member

While we're on the topic, any of you working with QoS should check out this QoS value calculator... it's awesome. Great work by netcontractor.pl

»www.netcontractor.pl/blo ··· r-v3.jpg
OHSrob
join:2011-06-08

OHSrob to Oxygen

to Oxygen
Now that is a proper router.

Oxygen
Times Square can't shine as bright
Premium Member
join:2001-12-04
Huntington Station, NY

1 recommendation

Oxygen

Premium Member

said by OHSrob:

Now that is a proper router.

You can say that again. As far as packet forwarding, these are the elite.
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

1 recommendation

voxframe to Oxygen

to Oxygen
I just want to hear a high quality clip of that fantray coming up to speed lol!
Expand your moderator at work
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer to Oxygen

Premium Member

to Oxygen

Re: Heavy Iron - Dual Cisco 7613 Routers w/ RSP720-3C-10GE

Motor freight, by private courier. (i.e. no FedEx LTL or UPS Freight.)

GM85
Click, Click
join:2002-07-02
Canada

GM85

said by cramer:

Motor freight, by private courier. (i.e. no FedEx LTL or UPS Freight.)

If you're in India, "by rickshaw" is also an option »imgur.com/r/networking/4aVsA

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939 to Oxygen

Premium Member

to Oxygen
It's always struck me how similar the 7613 and the 6513 look from a quick glance. Is this for a colo?

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

1 recommendation

tubbynet to Oxygen

MVM

to Oxygen
said by Oxygen:

Basically what it comes down to, for almost $700,000 you know these will do what Cisco promises you.

except for when -- you know -- they don't.

q.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

ROFL

battleop

battleop to OHSrob

to OHSrob
I am sure one of the *tik fan boys will stop by and tell us how this is a waste of money.
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to Oxygen

to Oxygen
LMAO!

I'm a heavy *tik user, but even I'm not that stupid
voxframe

voxframe to Oxygen

to Oxygen
I wonder if normis would support it?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Oxygen

MVM

to Oxygen
said by Oxygen:

Each one was $345,371.00 + freight shipping.

That WITH or WITHOUT Smartnet?
said by Oxygen:

What I would really be interested in seeing is how a pair of these would perform against a Juniper router, or even a better a home made machine running some form of Linux FW/Routing software.

Vyatta would tell you "Yes" to this question.

A "5x9s" guy would probably give you the "you want to build this router with WHAT?!" look.

Can you even get DWDM, et al connectors in a PCIe formfactor that fit into a 1u chassis? Never bothered to check.

Regards

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

I shouldnt imagine this would be too difficult.

i.e. you can buy XFPs that are tuneable (either on the fly by the device they are installed in, or using some sort of programming device), so as long as you can get a NIC that takes an XFP, you can run what ever C band wavelength you want out of it.

»www.jdsu.com/en-us/Optic ··· ach.aspx

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

They make XFP nics, but they are rare and costly. Not as costly as this piece of equipment, but still costly. You also have to worry then about things like driver compatibility and XFP compatibility, and your out of luck if you need more than 4 interfaces (single port only per card).

battleop

battleop to sk1939

to sk1939
The description makes it sound like it's for some type of IXC.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

I would have thought they'd use Juniper or a CRS if that were the case imo.

It dosen't look to be very populated for a 13 slot chassis (they do make a 7606 and 7609). The 7609 (720Gbps) also has double the throughput capacity of the 7613 (256Gbps) (at least according to Cisco). This is just semantics and curiosity though, they bought what they bought after all.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Maybe they've had slimier experience with juniper as I have. (IE most buggy POS ever, firmware gets corrupt every couple months is seems, and somehow a single device that couldn't be looping back causes a juniper to go into broadcast storm.)

There seem to be some clear design flaws in how juniper devices work.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

1 recommendation

TomS_

MVM

said by DarkLogix:

There seem to be some clear design flaws in how juniper devices work.

Thats a very broad and generalised statement to make. Juniper is used extensively in SP networks all over the globe, and low and behold the Internet is not melting into a puddle on the floor.

Perhaps you had a bad experience with a piece of kit, but you cant tar all Juniper devices with the same brush.

Ive seen Juniper devices running for years without a single issue. Ive also seen Cisco devices do the same. Funny that...

Juniper is not perfect, and neither is Cisco, or any manufacturer for that matter. They all experience issues and bugs. Regression testing of new firmware versions before pushing to production and proper environments for housing equipment will go far in ensuring you have a stable and reliable network.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to sk1939

MVM

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

crs are in a niche market -- and they are generally used for a lot of the heavy core switching.
most of your edge/peering is still done with 6500/7600, asr1k, asr9k, or even the 12k (rare -- as these are slowly being phased out of production).
in the juniper world -- you're looking at an mx-box -- like the 80, 240, 480, or 960.

q.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by tubbynet:

said by sk1939:

crs are in a niche market -- and they are generally used for a lot of the heavy core switching.
most of your edge/peering is still done with 6500/7600, asr1k, asr9k, or even the 12k (rare -- as these are slowly being phased out of production).
in the juniper world -- you're looking at an mx-box -- like the 80, 240, 480, or 960.

q.

Good to know, thanks tubby. I haven't dealt with much beyond 39XX series devices as far as WAN goes as most of what I find myself dealing with is LAN/Nexus. Do you know what Cisco is going to replace the 12k with? Also, why would they choose the 13 slot chassis over the 9 slot, especially since it's not populated anywhere near capacity in the photos.

GrumpyJohn
@windstream.net

GrumpyJohn to Oxygen

Anon

to Oxygen
i Work for a big telco and we use all three ,cisco,juniper,and Fujitsu.Gov makes sure you purchase from all three so there is not one going out of business.They all work really well and interface with each other well in all diverse rings.