Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz

Premium Member

[FireFox] Click-to-Play Plugins in Firefox beta

Click-to-Play Plugins, Blocklist-Style
October 11, 2012 - Mozilla Security Blog
quote:
You may have heard of click-to-play plugins (in short: don’t load plugins until they’re clicked). You may have also heard of the blocklist (essentially a list of addons and plugins that are disabled to prevent users coming to harm; this includes vulnerable and outdated versions of popular plugins). Now, appearing together for the first time in Firefox Beta, allow me to introduce click-to-play blocklisted plugins!
... ..read full article (w/screenshots)

This feature is currently available in Firefox Beta.

Also see - Click-to-play plugin blocks coming in Firefox 17 and Prompting our users to update their plugins
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

1 recommendation

EdmundGerber

Click-to-play plugins makes a huge difference in memory usage on those pages that are heavy in Flash - like a forum with 20-30 or more embedded Youtube videos.

Good feature for sure...
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
I was reading about this. What is not clear to me is will the plugin container NOT start until you click the plugin to get it to play? That plugin container is the worst thing I have ever seen Mozilla do in all the years since Phoenix. It is an absolute disaster. I had to completely uninstall Flash for plugin browsers because of it. (I have no other plugins for Fx). It wants to start, and run, on tons of websites and pages where NO Flash is used or needed. Click to play is meaningless if that plugin container starts anyway. My Proxo is worthless too if that plugin container starts when Proxo has a toggle switch for Flash, and I don't click the toggle, yet that horrible Plugin container (TWO instances is running for no reason and it eats up lots of RAM). So, will plugin container NOT run unless Flash is clicked on?

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Well for once I agree with Mele [gasp ].

The plugin container is really annoying,I have it set to ask in my firewall,cause it would just freeze FF for a few seconds when it loaded.

Whenever I finish with a certain page I just terminate the process in the taskmanager...............no idea why Mozilla went this route but they have to figure another way .
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Well for once I agree with Mele [gasp ].

The plugin container is really annoying,I have it set to ask in my firewall,cause it would just freeze FF for a few seconds when it loaded.

Whenever I finish with a certain page I just terminate the process in the taskmanager...............no idea why Mozilla went this route but they have to figure another way .

You can disable the plugin container by doing the following. Then, in task manager, you're left with Firefox.exe - no more plugin container.
My browser didn't crash that often, so I felt I'd rather chance a crash bringing the whole browser down, and get rid of an extra process.

»kb.mozillazine.org/Plugi ··· _plugins

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Thanks for reminding me about how to disable it.............and the ''click to play'' is an awesome idea.

SwIron and Chrome use it and it makes them run a lot better and more stable.