share rss forum feed

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to Juggernaut

Re: Oil change in a generator

said by Juggernaut:

I would use a synthetic in the grade recommended. It flows so much better in the cold, and offers superior protection.

It would flow the same whether it's synthetic or mineral if it has the same rating. The SAE rating gives the viscosity.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
said by cowboyro:

It would flow the same whether it's synthetic or mineral if it has the same rating. The SAE rating gives the viscosity.

Actually, that's not quite true. Synthetics maintain their rated viscosity, while dino oil either thickens, or thins depending on temperature extremes.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
said by Juggernaut:

said by cowboyro:

Actually, that's not quite true. Synthetics maintain their rated viscositys, while dino oil either thickens, or thins depending on temperature extremes.

A 10W30 will have the same cold/hot viscosity whether it's synthetic or mineral. After all that's what the ratings are for.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
Well then, I'll leave you to it, as you know better than I do.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

1 edit
said by Juggernaut:

Well then, I'll leave you to it, as you know better than I do.

You're right that synthetic oil has a better viscosity than dino oil in cold temperature.

He's right that dino oil and synthetic oil of the same SAE rating will have the same viscosity at the same temperature range. That's because the dino oil has lubricants and additives to make it perform just as well.