Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

1 recommendation

Build-To-Order Gaming Laptops

I'm interested in getting a build-to-order gaming laptop. Besides Alienware, I found a company called "Origin".
Any other good companies and/or opinions on these two?

Ref: »www.originpc.com/Default.aspx

Thanks!
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

1 recommendation

»www.falcon-nw.com

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but I remember they were recommended repeatedly on Diggnation back when it was a decent show.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal
IBuyPower -- no frills, no big markup, just the computer you want.

CyberPowerPC is similar.

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal
Some links in here. I'd suggest MSI and upgrade yourself.
»www.gentechpc.com/system_dept.as···d=SD-007

»www.powernotebooks.com/Custom-La···185.html

»www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-la···165.html

»www.rkcomputer.net/rkcnotebooks/···list&c=4

Some sell a "bare bones" machine but ordering from newegg seems to be much cheaper.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to Johkal
Thanks for all the links so far.

BKayrac
Premium
join:2001-09-29
Madison, WI

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal
i got mine from cyberpowerpc......haven't had a single issue with it, and was a reasonable price aswell

if i remember correctly they also sponsor some of the esports tournaments

liht
Acryllicht

join:2000-07-11
Paradise Valley, AZ
Reviews:
·flowroute

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal
I purchased mine from www.malibal.com, I lave the Lotus P150EM SE. Great laptop, got it built and shipped in about 3 weeks or so. Wasn't cheap...but I got what I wanted. Good CS, and they priced matched everyone, plus had a discount.

»www.malibal.com/notebooks/lotus-p150em-se/
--
werd

Rifleman
Premium
p1a

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal
I still say for features and price MSI is a good choice. If you don't want----need dual videocards you can get a top end Laptop for well under 2 grand.
The model similar to mine is 1000 bucks with an I-7 Sandy Bridge and GTX570M, 12GB memory and 750GB hard drive. Slap a SSD in the spare bay or better yet put the 750 gig in the DVD bay, put 2 SSDs in super RAID. There's still a slot for more RAM.
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···34152293

Ivy Bridge 3610QM, GTX670M for 1350.00
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···34152336

GTX675M FOR 1680.00
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···83415234

This model has smaller screen but has GTX680M for 1900.00
»www.ncix.com/products/?sku=75811···oid=1393

I sound like a fanboy but I honestly cant find another maker that has the features and prices to compare.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

PS--- I looked at the Sager laptops a minute ago and managed to configure one with 17 inch screen, I-7 3630QM, 2--gtx670s in SLI, 16GB RAM, 2--500GB with 4GB hybrid drives, for 1989.00 bucks!. Heck of a good price . You can step up to dual GTX680s for 250.00 more or dual ATI 7970s for 400.00 more.
I'd be looking closely at that deal if I was buying now.
»www.gentechpc.com/config.asp?con···r_NP9370

Rifleman
Premium
p1a

1 recommendation

PPS---can't sleep so configured an Alienware with the same specs. It came out to 3719.00. Unless I missed something the Sager is half the price. I think Sager is rebranded MSI's
»configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/···hs&cs=19

I'll stop posting now--lol. Let us know what you decide to get?

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
Just a comment on the Alienware: I started with looking at Alienware & just couldn't fathom the price tag for what they're configuring it with.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to Johkal
Just for anyone's interest: »computers.toptenreviews.com/gaming-laptops/

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to Johkal
A few build questions:

1) To "Raid" or not to "Raid"?
If so, which Raid?
Is it better to have matching drives?
Pros/Cons for SSD vs HDD, etc. Best combinations of the two?

2) To overclock or not?

3) Is there any reason you would need more than 16GB of memory?

Thanks!
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

You dont need raid with SSDs. Get a roomy boot SSD (240+ GB) and then a data HDD (1+ TB).

OC is not a great idea in a laptop. It likely will not affect your FPS if you're buying a modern CPU.

16 GB is more than enough ram.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal
said by Johkal:

Just a comment on the Alienware: I started with looking at Alienware & just couldn't fathom the price tag for what they're configuring it with.

no one does. They sell generic components under a brand name and charge a huge markup. Not a bad business model if you prey on the ignorant...
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Rifleman
Premium
p1a
reply to Johkal
The laptops I mentioned have a button on the touchpad that activates "turbo boost" on the CPU. Then MSI Afterburner lets you overclock the videocard.
The Sager has identical hybrid hard drives----which I guess incorporates the advantages of SSDs?

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
What was confusing is that they still offer to "overclock" even with the "turbo boost". I guess choose one or the other.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Turboboost is Intel's integrated way of boosting the speed of a single core (or a lesser boost to a couple cores) when doing tasks that lean heavily on a single/couple core(s). It has nothing to do with an overclock.
--

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
Ok, so no on the overclock as you advised, but turboboost is seemingly a good option?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Can you link to the page you are referencing? Turboboost is an Intel technology built into their CPUs--it shouldn't be an option you select on a manufacturer's page:

»www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/···ogy.html
--

Rifleman
Premium
p1a
reply to Johkal
Turbo boost just clocks the CPU to it's highest rated speedm Eg--mine is from 2.2ghz to 2.9ghz.
I believe a couple of those companies listed will overclock it for you if that's your wish.
There's unlocked BIOS floating around that will let you OC but with the horsepower you plan to get----heat starts to become an issue. I can game all day and the temps never get over 80 degrees celcius.
Notebook Review has some great MSI topics and reps from Xotic and others post regularly.
»forum.notebookreview.com/msi/

fseminario

join:2012-08-15
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

I would go with origin since they offer 24/7 lifetime support and an evolve (exchange) program, which allows you to upgrade your old parts for new ones. Plus, the founders are executives from Alienware (used to be my favorite gaming company). Compared to other boutique builders, you get the most bang for your buck since they consistently outperform maingear and digitalstorm systems.

All their gaming laptops
»www.originpc.com/Laptops/Compare/Gaming.aspx

11-inch
»www.originpc.com/Laptops/Gaming/···STEMID=5

15-inch
»www.originpc.com/Laptops/Gaming/···STEMID=4

17-inch
»www.originpc.com/Laptops/Gaming/···STEMID=3

»www.originpc.com/Laptops/Gaming/···TEMID=18

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal
Just a few notes.

With Alienware you're paying for a premium product and premium support. I know two people who paid $2,500+ for their Alienware M17 laptops and they're very happy. Alienware keeps you informed while they're building the laptop, notify you when it ships, then call you a few more times once you get it to make sure everything is working. If you have a dead pixel or it takes longer than ~30 seconds to boot, they'll fix or replace it overnight. The hardware build quality is excellent, the BIOS has extensive options and is fully tailored for the hardware, and the thermals are top notch.

Another very nice thing with the Alienware laptop that I haven't seen elsewhere is they have a HDMI in, so you can use the laptop monitor as a TV. Useful if you're on the move and quickly need a TV for an XBox or Comcast box.

If you're not interested in this type of service from Alienware and just want raw horsepower for as little money as possible, go for one of the barebones systems above. With Alienware you're paying for both the laptop and service, not to save money.
--
less talk, more music

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Is Alienware support still U.S.-based, or has that been relocated to India too?

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
kudos:1
No idea.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to Krisnatharok
Click for full size
Here's one from XOTICPC.
Now, theirs is called "Redline Boost". Appears to be the same idea.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to fseminario
I started looking at Origin because of their reputation. Comparable builders are $200-$300 cheaper.

fseminario

Miami, FL
correct! If you look at from a performance standpoint, origin usually gives you the best deal where the competitors are cheaper but don't score so well on benchmarks/reviews.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
Would you happen to have a good benchmark link? The basic one I posted unfortunately placed Origin in 7th place.

fseminario

Miami, FL
sure.

"...This desktop replacement laptop is one of the fastest computers weve ever tested, thanks to an available Intel Extreme..."

»www.pcworld.com/article/260274/t···wed.html

here is another

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406469,00.asp

fseminario

Miami, FL
Johkal, you looking for a 11, 15, or 17 laptop?