uniqs
share rss forum feed

fseminario

join:2012-08-15
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Rifleman

Re: Build-To-Order Gaming Laptops

I would go with origin since they offer 24/7 lifetime support and an evolve (exchange) program, which allows you to upgrade your old parts for new ones. Plus, the founders are executives from Alienware (used to be my favorite gaming company). Compared to other boutique builders, you get the most bang for your buck since they consistently outperform maingear and digitalstorm systems.

All their gaming laptops
»www.originpc.com/Laptops/Compare/Gaming.aspx

11-inch
»www.originpc.com/Laptops/Gaming/···STEMID=5

15-inch
»www.originpc.com/Laptops/Gaming/···STEMID=4

17-inch
»www.originpc.com/Laptops/Gaming/···STEMID=3

»www.originpc.com/Laptops/Gaming/···TEMID=18

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

Just a few notes.

With Alienware you're paying for a premium product and premium support. I know two people who paid $2,500+ for their Alienware M17 laptops and they're very happy. Alienware keeps you informed while they're building the laptop, notify you when it ships, then call you a few more times once you get it to make sure everything is working. If you have a dead pixel or it takes longer than ~30 seconds to boot, they'll fix or replace it overnight. The hardware build quality is excellent, the BIOS has extensive options and is fully tailored for the hardware, and the thermals are top notch.

Another very nice thing with the Alienware laptop that I haven't seen elsewhere is they have a HDMI in, so you can use the laptop monitor as a TV. Useful if you're on the move and quickly need a TV for an XBox or Comcast box.

If you're not interested in this type of service from Alienware and just want raw horsepower for as little money as possible, go for one of the barebones systems above. With Alienware you're paying for both the laptop and service, not to save money.
--
less talk, more music

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Is Alienware support still U.S.-based, or has that been relocated to India too?

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
kudos:1

No idea.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9
reply to Krisnatharok

Click for full size
Here's one from XOTICPC.
Now, theirs is called "Redline Boost". Appears to be the same idea.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to fseminario

I started looking at Origin because of their reputation. Comparable builders are $200-$300 cheaper.

fseminario

Miami, FL

correct! If you look at from a performance standpoint, origin usually gives you the best deal where the competitors are cheaper but don't score so well on benchmarks/reviews.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

Would you happen to have a good benchmark link? The basic one I posted unfortunately placed Origin in 7th place.

fseminario

Miami, FL

sure.

"...This desktop replacement laptop is one of the fastest computers weve ever tested, thanks to an available Intel Extreme..."

»www.pcworld.com/article/260274/t···wed.html

here is another

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406469,00.asp

fseminario

Miami, FL

Johkal, you looking for a 11, 15, or 17 laptop?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Johkal

What a bunch of crap. Redline is just overclocking the CPU and possibly the ram.

Redlining the OS?? Marketing lingo for giving them $35 more.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to Johkal

Awesome feedback friends!
This is what I need and appreciate. I want the best builder, brand & configuration for the money. Keep hashing & trashing!
This is a big purchase for me & I'm trying to learn from all of you; the experts.

Thanks!
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to fseminario

said by fseminario:

Johkal, you looking for a 11, 15, or 17 laptop?

17"

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to fseminario

said by fseminario:

sure.

"...This desktop replacement laptop is one of the fastest computers weve ever tested, thanks to an available Intel Extreme..."

»www.pcworld.com/article/260274/t···wed.html

here is another

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406469,00.asp

That doesn't mean anything unless you are in the market to buy a $3500 laptop, and the one linked is nothing but a $1000 CPU, and very wasted in a gaming laptop.

To really make that money be cost-effective for a gamer, you want to sink the money into dual graphics cards, NOT a $1000 CPU.

The PC World review is downright misleading, since it is comparing $1500 laptops to those that cost three times as much. If you truly want an apples-to-apples comparison, you should outfit the computers identically, and then provide a comparison at stock speeds, as well as one with a manufacturer-provided overclock, as that will truly reveal the value of the premium.

Reminds me why I cancelled my PC World subscription a couple years ago.

Anyways, /rant off
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a
reply to Johkal

With that link to Sager----given your exact specs-----You can get everything you specified----except for the redline stuff ----but you Get 2 GTX 670M cards in SLI for 2574.00. From photos I'm sure Sager is using bare bones MSI computers.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

I think you are correct. The Sager does look like a re-branded MSI.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to Johkal

Question on Video Card option:

Single "nVidia GeForce GTX 680M"

or

Dual "nVidia GeForce GTX 670M"

Thanks!
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Dual 670s will be more powerful.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

That's what I was hoping for. When optioning vid cards, they want approx. $250 more for a single 680 over dual 670s. Does that make any sense?

Rifleman
Premium
p1a

1 recommendation

The 680s are much more expensive. 2 670s will outperform the single 680.
Keep in mind these mobile cards are nowhere near as fast as their desktop twin.
2 670s in SLI----along with the beefed up CPU you want--combined with SSD drive is going to be a very very fast laptop.
If you spec an Alienware out with those options you are looking at 4 grand at least.

fseminario

Miami, FL
reply to Krisnatharok

ok then, here is CNET

fseminario

Miami, FL
reply to Krisnatharok

CNET review:

»www.cnet.com/laptops/origin-eon1···2-2.html

Rifleman
Premium
p1a

LOL--of course the origin fared better. Ivy bridge compared to Sandy bridge and GTX675 compared to lesser cards.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to fseminario

What exactly is the point you are trying to make?