join:2002-10-08
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:5

Settings for humidifier?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Hello,

I have NO idea what settings I should put my humidifier on..

There are 2 controls for it(no idea what they do).. I have attached pics for both..

Any input would be great!

Thanks
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
If water starts condensing on your windows or walls the settings are too high. Did you try Googling April Air for recommended settings? I'd start there. I'm guessing about 40% humidity should be somewhere in your comfort zone. (winter)

When The Outdoor This Relative Humidity
Temperature Is Should Be Maintained
+40F 45%
+30 40%
+20 35%
+10 30%
0 25%
-10 20%
-20 15%
(from April Air's brochure)

--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Schaumburg, IL
reply to SuperNet9
Thanks, what about the numbers on the humidifier itself.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

reply to SuperNet9
Search for the manual online and look it up....

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to SuperNet9
Get a hygrometer so you can adjust the humidity properly.

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
said by Bob4:

Get a hygrometer so you can adjust the humidity properly.

+1

The digital models are usually around $20 or less at a hardware store.

Start with the control knob on the dehumidifier around the middle of the range and see how it looks in 48 hours. Each new setting may take 24 or 48 hours to give a reasonably true reading to the hygrometer.

»www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les···&bih=791

At a price of around $0.24 cents per KWh (taxes and fees included) where I work, the boss pays around $1.00 per day to keep a circa mid 1700s - 28' by 35' cellar dry to 50%, according to my power usage device. (They do have an early 1900s concrete floor though, as opposed to a dirt floor that was popular in the mid 1700s.)

$1 a day is based upon a one year data recording of usage. Before I came along, they used to run it 24/7 with the control knob set to full dry. They were paying around $200 per month as opposed to $30. Silly folk.

bobk4000

join:2003-10-17
Saint Paul, MN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to SuperNet9
SuperNet9,

I recognize the top Aprilaire controller - I had one prior to getting my furnace replaced a few years ago. I'm guessing it is installed in the duct work on your furnace (typically), and there are three pairs of wires going to it. Power, from the furnace; control to the humidifier and a third pair of wires going to an outdoor temperature sensor.

The way it works is the controller senses the humidity in the house/duct work when the furnace is running and checks the outdoor temperature. Based on outdoor temperature it regulates the humidity in your house. (Unlike the older manual humidistat in the bottom picture where you had to adjust it based on outdoor temperature. I'm guessing that one is next to the thermostat and was probably left there when the humidifier was replaced.)

To see if the humidifier and controller are working - when your furnace is running turn the knob on the controller up to test and wait a few moments. The humidifier should turn on and water starts flowing through it. Turn it back to 4 or 5 (as I recall) to let it regulate humidity in your house.

You have a different humidifier than the one I have - here is a link to owners manuals for Aprilaire:

»www.aprilaire.com/index.php?znfA···rsManual

One note - humidifiers do require yearly maintenance with replacement of the water panel plus I've had to do some clean up of the plastic holder due to minerals in the water. You can get replacement parts / water panels online, or if you are getting your furnace checked for the winter have your heating contractor check the humidifier at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to SuperNet9
The second picture shows a chart that explains it for you. Reset the humidity to a certain humidity setting when the temperature is a given degree.

The idea is to lower the humidity when it gets colder, to prevent or reduce window condensation.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Schaumburg, IL

1 edit
reply to SuperNet9
Thanks everyone from the input..

So the manual one is the old one and should work?

The one attached to the humidifier works...

Now it says automatic what does that mean?

Edit: I read the manual and I am still confused..

So is my humidifier automatic and I don't need to do anything?
--

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to bobk4000
said by bobk4000:

One note - humidifiers do require yearly maintenance with replacement of the water panel plus I've had to do some clean up of the plastic holder due to minerals in the water. You can get replacement parts / water panels online, or if you are getting your furnace checked for the winter have your heating contractor check the humidifier at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Bob

+1
I have the SAME unit, as it was part of the "HVAC" replacement done a few years back.
It failed after 1 year. Well, not really, but as Bob stated, you need to do maintenance on it (or the HVAC installer does ... hint hint).
There is a water board that water flows on and "evaps" into the air duct. Then excess goes to drain and evap pump (waste of water). The board can calcify from materials in your water.
Also, a buzzing was going on, and there is a tiny plastic filter (looks like a wall anchor) in the plumbing line feed. Mine clogged from sediment/plumbing solder in the lines (stuff found its way to this thing).
Plumber/Hvac guy wanted $250 to visit/fix. I bought all the parts needed for $50. just never got around to it. So I shut it down, never turned on the Aprilaire since.

I use a room 3gallon humidifier w/UV lamp. Aside from the glub glub noise, works for my upstairs. Just needs wickpads and cleaning every few weeks (descaling with vinegar).
--
Splat

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to SuperNet9
I set mine to 45% all winter long. I don't have condensation issues so I don't bother to lower it on cold days.

bobk4000

join:2003-10-17
Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to SuperNet9
said by SuperNet9:

So the manual one is the old one and should work?

The one attached to the humidifier works...

Now it says automatic what does that mean?

So is my humidifier automatic and I don't need to do anything?

SuperNet9,

The manual one - probably was left in place when the furnace company replaced the humidifier. I can't tell over the internet but I'm willing to bet it's not connected to your humidifier anymore and the one in the top photo is controlling your humidifier.

The automatic one is just that - set it to 5 and see how the humidity regulates in your house. I purchased a Radio Shack indoor temperature/humidity monitor years ago to track my humidity as the temperature changed here in Minnesota and I think I eventually upped mine to 6. I've got an older house that isn't well insulated and has a few air leaks.

I did find the chart from my old Aprilaire humidity controller and it went like this based on outdoor temperature and indoor humidity:

Dial set to 5: -10 Degrees, 20%; 20 Degrees, 35%; 40 Degrees, 45%

Dial set to 6: - 10 Degrees, 25%; 20 Degrees, 40%; 40 Degrees, 45%

If you have too much indoor humidity on really cold days it will condense and drip all over your windows. That's the beauty of the automatic humidistat; as the outside temp drops it backs off the indoor humidity and prevents condensation on your windows.

Hope this helps.

Bob

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Schaumburg, IL
reply to SuperNet9
I am still getting Condensation on my windows.... So with it being around 30 degrees Fahrenheit, Do I want it dial closer to #1 or #7... I read the manual and I don't get it...

Thanks
--

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
Closer to 1. Lower it when it gets cold.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to bobk4000
said by bobk4000:

I've had to do some clean up of the plastic holder due to minerals in the water.

Did you look at the "floor" of the plastic water tray that sits on top of the water tray frame and see what looked like sediment? That is actually applied by the manufacturer and the intention is to, as I recall, help distribute the water more evenly throughout the panel rather than just having it pour straight down through the center. So cleaning it is not necessary.

In 12 seasons I've replaced the solenoid once, a new injector nozzle twice, new screens about every other year and a water panel every year. There's far less accumulation since I switched to soft water three years after the AprilAire was installed.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
Agree that is to distribute the water evenly across the pad.