All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Krak
@bell.ca

Krak

Anon

Can someone please tell me whats wrong with my router?

Hi, I am having issues with my D-LINK DIR-601 router.

Pretty much every time I surf online now, if I were to load a website it would stall for about 15 seconds, saying "connecting" and only then it would load the page... It doesn't happen all the time but its starting to get annoying as it starting to happen more frequently..

Is it time for me to replace my router? Or, maybe some of you know why this is happening?

PS: I reset my router 2 times and the problem still exists... Ive had this router for about 2 1/2 years now.

Thank you.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Try different cables? wonky power supply? tried a different modem? checked lines from pole to house? Oh wait you said DStink right??

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv to Krak

to Krak
Have you tried some different DNS servers? There are a lot of open DNS servers out there - if you need some suggestions just let us know.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

1 edit

Da Geek Kid to Krak

to Krak
I think it may be your PC... Router is not a PC, just because it's a 2.5 yr old does not make it bad.

DNS as mentioned above may be an issue mentioned here... as well as cables.

Do you have issues connecting to other PCs NOT on the Internet?

»www.howtogeek.com/125747 ··· r-out-2/ Interesting article

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to Krak

to Krak
I've seen this dozens of times. Pretty typical for D-Link, unfortunately. I'm not saying that's definitely your problem, but that's where I would start my troubleshooting.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB to Krak

to Krak
try making sure the router is giving out the address to a DNS server and not to itself when it does DHCP. That is, make sure your PC has a real DNS server as its DNS server and not the address of the router.

if that fixes it, then the problem is definitely the router.
annoyingrob
join:2007-03-27
Calgary, AB

annoyingrob to Krak

to Krak
Yeah, sounds like a DNS issue, which has been said many times already in the thread.

Basically, when you type in a website your machine first sends a DNS request to the DNS server which converts the URL to an IP address. Eg: www.google.com -> 74.125.129.147

If your DNS query is taking a long time, your connection will appear to hang loading a website. Once it gets the DNS response, it then loads the page from the IP address which happens nice and quick.

A quick test of this, open up a command prompt, and type "nslookup www.google.com". This will query the DNS server for the IP address of google.com. Then, type in the resulting IP address into your web browser (eg: »74.125.129.147/). If this loads really fast, you have a DNS problem.

There are a few solutions to this, the quick and dirty way to do it is to go into your network settings in windows and specify a custom DNS server (like 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, which I always remember because they're super easy). This would have to be done on a machine by machine basis. Alternatively, go into your router settings and specify a custom DNS server there. It might be tricky to specify a custom DNS server in your router, as a lot of routers like to give out their own IP address as the server to DHSP leases, and then relay the queries themselves. If your router is causing the slow-down, this won't get around it, but if the problem is with your ISP's DNS then this will.