1 recommendation

[WIN8] Who is buying Windows 8?

Not me!

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3

I tinkered around with it off Technet, but no, not going to buy and not in use in my production environment.

Kerodo

join:2004-05-08
reply to brianiscool

Tried each release for several weeks, and don't like it or want any part of it. I suspect the majority of the public will feel the same when they see it on new machines. I believe it's a huge mistake by MS. But of course time will tell. Let's wait and see how it's received in the coming few months....

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to brianiscool

They think that they have a lot of unnecessary cash to to f*k up with their existing user base and afford that regress... Let's wait for a while and see what it will lead to and how much that lesson will cost them...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to brianiscool

I agree with the above, not me either. I hope we're not all disappointed if Windows 8 takes off because of how dumbed down the former Metro interface is with people used to iPads.

Cartel

join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
reply to brianiscool

Not me!!

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4
reply to brianiscool

I have yet to see it on a multi monitor station with people who actually multitask. Not sure how that would work with Metro.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to brianiscool

Windows 8 will be the MOST successful Windows in the History of Windows regardless. Why? because I like it a LOT

Server, PC Desktop, PC Laptop, Tablet and Phone --- the symmetry is exactly what the big enterprise market place have been yearning for.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to brianiscool

I have a Technet subscription and will likely buy 3 to possibly 6 upgrade licenses.

The "success" or "failure" of just about any version of Windows is hard to quantify or conceptualize for me. It has a built in sale / distribution system in the PC market and even a downgrade option equates to a sale.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21

1 recommendation

reply to brianiscool

windows 98se is fast enough

Expand your moderator at work

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13
reply to brianiscool

Re: [WIN8] Who is buying Windows 8?

Used it, liked it. Kept it

Cudni

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL

While I was one of the people on this forum talking about issues with Metro, once I actually installed it and started to use it, I liked it. Sure it took me a bit to get it configured and I had to so some research to figure out where things are at. Once all that was said and done, I enjoyed Windows 8.

So, I do plan to switch over to Windows 8, once I know that the Virus Software I use (McAfee Enterprise) is supported.

See this thread if you are interested in reading about that
»Version of McAfee Enterprise for Windows 8

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
reply to brianiscool

I plan to buy Windows 8, and also to get a touchscreen monitor. Please don't tell me that i don't need a trouchscreen to use Win8. I already know that. Maybe I just want to use touchscreen, as well as to use mouse and keyboard.

Also, I think the bashing of Windows 8 by some is a little over the top. Metro is just a very small part of Windows 8. The performance and other features, as already pointed out in other posts, are good. Even Metro can be managed after only a short period of use, as stated by other posters.

I don't want to miss out on this new feature. I can't wait.

Freddy

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA

2 recommendations

reply to brianiscool

Every person who buys a new consumer PC or windows tablet after October 25th.

How many will upgrade to windows 8? If history is any indicator, about 5% of the installed base will upgrade in the consumer space, and in about three years all of the business users will have upgraded to windows 7, in another three years they will have upgraded to the release *after* windows 8 (or the one after that.)

Most organizations running server OSes will upgrade.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to brianiscool

I am! Buying 3 copies. One for my home PC. And other two for my production computers at my business.

No way I'm staying with Windows 7 when I can work MUCH faster with Windows 8 =) Whoever says you are NOT productive on Windows 8 are blind fools.

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork
kudos:6
reply to brianiscool

said by brianiscool:

Not me!

Care to explain why not? Otherwise, one can only assume your posting to stir it up.

I'm already running it on a Desktop.

I will purchase it installed on a tablet. Really like the Surface, can't wait to get my hands on one.
--
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

computerman2
Premium
join:2002-04-20
Rockwood, MI

Switching to Windows 8 soon as Released on October 26th, I will adapt to the NEW Start Screen, and all the new stuff..

armed

join:2000-10-20
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to brianiscool

I am going to install it on a 7 year old lap top for grins. Plus its will give me a chance to learn it and see for myself if its something I want to consider for my other machines (two desktops and 1 lap top).

I help my relatives manage their computers (14 total plus my 4). I will be glad when the last of the win XP machines bite the dust as I no longer have one of my own to help me when I have to deal with problems on the phone.

I'm getting to old to learn new OS's (68) but I really like Win7 compared to Win XP. I'll see for myself if the wow factor for Win 8 is as good.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to brianiscool

I have an Asus Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 (quad thread 470UM 1.33GHz Turbo Boost up to 1.86GHz) based Windows 7 tablet PC. It came with a 64GB mSATA SSD, 4GB of RAM, a 12.1” 1280 x 800 multi-touch screen, a Wacom digitizer (pressure sensitive great for inking), Bluetooth, 802.11b/g/n wireless and more. Its actually getting a little old now but its still fast and powerful. In all likelihood much more powerful then any of the new Atom based Windows 8 tablets and likely not too much slower then the more modern Core i5 based Windows 8 tablets. Battery life is another issue though,…

In fact this was among one of the models of PC tablet that Microsoft used to demo Windows 8 on initially.

Anyway, I have already upgraded it to Windows 8 Pro RTM via my Microsoft Technet subscription. It works fairly well (not perfect but fairly good) and is indeed faster on the tablet then Windows 7 Home Premium was. Its easier to use too. I definitely prefer Windows 8 Pro RTM on this tablet over Windows 7 Home Premium.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to RazzyW8

said by RazzyW8 :

I am! Buying 3 copies. One for my home PC. And other two for my production computers at my business.

No way I'm staying with Windows 7 when I can work MUCH faster with Windows 8 =) Whoever says you are NOT productive on Windows 8 are blind fools.

How do you see Windows 8 as being more productive in an office or home environment? Without a touch screen it doesn't appear to have many advantages and even with one I certainly don't see any productivity gains occurring.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

As I stated earlier, Windows 8 Pro RTM is faster on my Asus Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 tablet PC then Windows 7 Home Premium was. Or at the very least it sure does seem so. There may have been some drivers that needed an upgrade under Windows 7 or something that impeded top performance but the difference was palpable. Having already familiarized myself with Windows 8 Pro I could navigate fairly quickly.

For what its worth I did not do a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro RTM but rather upgraded the existing Windows 7 install (small SSD so no real OEM crud-ware installed).

Naturally I cannot speak for RazzyW8.

The learning curve alone for most people would probably slow them down on Windows 8 though,….IMO.

BTW, here is a phrase that has double meaning:

quote:
“I can’t W8”
LOL,....

RazzyWin8

@rr.com
reply to Msradell

I left click start, a full screen of applications shortcut are ready for me to click on. Right click start - get a lot of useful tools for me to run. Everything is much closer to get to.

I barely touch the metro applications. I'm always in desktop land. Not sure why you think its less productive unless you think Metro land is the only way to go in Windows 8 (and its not)

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Jahntassa

said by Jahntassa:

I have yet to see it on a multi monitor station with people who actually multitask. Not sure how that would work with Metro.

I am running RTM on 3 monitors at work and it is fine. I am cheating by using Start8 from Stardock so it's hard to tell the difference between it and Win7.

I multitask a lot.

It does run all my admin apps.

The only exception was the vSphere Client which I now run from another VM.

Would not buy it but then again I have not had to buy Windows since I got my first computer in 1995.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to brianiscool

Since the latest release of the free software Classic Shell, which adds the Windows 7 start menu to the system, I'm strongly considering it since it offers other benefits to a new system.

»classicshell.sourceforge.net/

My primary system will probably stay Windows 7 until I replace it with something newer so I certainly won't go out of my way to buy it or upgrade, but instead get it as an OEM product.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to Msradell

Click for full size
This is what happen when I right click the Start. I can get to those things much faster than I can with Windows 7. Of course when I left click the Start, I get a full screen (metro) with tons of tiles of all kind of software like Microsoft Word, PAINT.NET, Photoshop, etc, ready for me to click on, again, it is much faster than going to Start then All Programs and then scroll with your mouse wheel OR the limited pinned start menu shortcuts. Of course I could just type it but I can do same in Windows 8 as Windows 7.

So yes, it is way faster for me to do work on Windows 8 than Windows 7.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Kerodo

said by Kerodo:

Tried each release for several weeks, and don't like it or want any part of it. I suspect the majority of the public will feel the same when they see it on new machines.

Only those that don't give it a FAIR chance.

I believe it's a huge mistake by MS.

Yes they should put out something that looks just like all the previous versions. After all I know I'll buy that. Oh wait if they made Windows 8 just like Windows 7 why in the fuck would switch from Windows 7?