share rss forum feed

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to brianiscool

Re: [WIN8] Who is buying Windows 8?

I have an Asus Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 (quad thread 470UM 1.33GHz Turbo Boost up to 1.86GHz) based Windows 7 tablet PC. It came with a 64GB mSATA SSD, 4GB of RAM, a 12.1” 1280 x 800 multi-touch screen, a Wacom digitizer (pressure sensitive great for inking), Bluetooth, 802.11b/g/n wireless and more. Its actually getting a little old now but its still fast and powerful. In all likelihood much more powerful then any of the new Atom based Windows 8 tablets and likely not too much slower then the more modern Core i5 based Windows 8 tablets. Battery life is another issue though,…

In fact this was among one of the models of PC tablet that Microsoft used to demo Windows 8 on initially.

Anyway, I have already upgraded it to Windows 8 Pro RTM via my Microsoft Technet subscription. It works fairly well (not perfect but fairly good) and is indeed faster on the tablet then Windows 7 Home Premium was. Its easier to use too. I definitely prefer Windows 8 Pro RTM on this tablet over Windows 7 Home Premium.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to RazzyW8

said by RazzyW8 :

I am! Buying 3 copies. One for my home PC. And other two for my production computers at my business.

No way I'm staying with Windows 7 when I can work MUCH faster with Windows 8 =) Whoever says you are NOT productive on Windows 8 are blind fools.

How do you see Windows 8 as being more productive in an office or home environment? Without a touch screen it doesn't appear to have many advantages and even with one I certainly don't see any productivity gains occurring.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

As I stated earlier, Windows 8 Pro RTM is faster on my Asus Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 tablet PC then Windows 7 Home Premium was. Or at the very least it sure does seem so. There may have been some drivers that needed an upgrade under Windows 7 or something that impeded top performance but the difference was palpable. Having already familiarized myself with Windows 8 Pro I could navigate fairly quickly.

For what its worth I did not do a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro RTM but rather upgraded the existing Windows 7 install (small SSD so no real OEM crud-ware installed).

Naturally I cannot speak for RazzyW8.

The learning curve alone for most people would probably slow them down on Windows 8 though,….IMO.

BTW, here is a phrase that has double meaning:

quote:
“I can’t W8”
LOL,....

RazzyWin8

@rr.com
reply to Msradell

I left click start, a full screen of applications shortcut are ready for me to click on. Right click start - get a lot of useful tools for me to run. Everything is much closer to get to.

I barely touch the metro applications. I'm always in desktop land. Not sure why you think its less productive unless you think Metro land is the only way to go in Windows 8 (and its not)

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Jahntassa

said by Jahntassa:

I have yet to see it on a multi monitor station with people who actually multitask. Not sure how that would work with Metro.

I am running RTM on 3 monitors at work and it is fine. I am cheating by using Start8 from Stardock so it's hard to tell the difference between it and Win7.

I multitask a lot.

It does run all my admin apps.

The only exception was the vSphere Client which I now run from another VM.

Would not buy it but then again I have not had to buy Windows since I got my first computer in 1995.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to brianiscool

Since the latest release of the free software Classic Shell, which adds the Windows 7 start menu to the system, I'm strongly considering it since it offers other benefits to a new system.

»classicshell.sourceforge.net/

My primary system will probably stay Windows 7 until I replace it with something newer so I certainly won't go out of my way to buy it or upgrade, but instead get it as an OEM product.

Expand your moderator at work

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to Msradell

Click for full size
This is what happen when I right click the Start. I can get to those things much faster than I can with Windows 7. Of course when I left click the Start, I get a full screen (metro) with tons of tiles of all kind of software like Microsoft Word, PAINT.NET, Photoshop, etc, ready for me to click on, again, it is much faster than going to Start then All Programs and then scroll with your mouse wheel OR the limited pinned start menu shortcuts. Of course I could just type it but I can do same in Windows 8 as Windows 7.

So yes, it is way faster for me to do work on Windows 8 than Windows 7.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Kerodo

said by Kerodo:

Tried each release for several weeks, and don't like it or want any part of it. I suspect the majority of the public will feel the same when they see it on new machines.

Only those that don't give it a FAIR chance.

I believe it's a huge mistake by MS.

Yes they should put out something that looks just like all the previous versions. After all I know I'll buy that. Oh wait if they made Windows 8 just like Windows 7 why in the fuck would switch from Windows 7?

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
reply to brianiscool

I've used the betas for a few months now...I got used to no Start menu in 1 day. Remember the desktop corners and right click to close! Win8 is excellent, super fast, and I really like the modern/Metro GUI. So I'll be downloading it for the server PC, a quad-core Acer. As I don't have a smartphone yet so I'm also planning to get a Windows 8 phone early next year.

Eventually, we'll all be walking around with Sony's 20" 'tablet'.

»reviews.cnet.com/desktops/sony-v···655.html
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

izy
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
endless loop
reply to brianiscool

I was VERY skeptical when WIN8 was first announced. Installed a VM and did a little tinkering but was not impressed and actually frustrated with it! 2 weeks ago I decided to install it on my laptop and have not looked back. It's basically identical to windows 7 minus the start button and metro start menu interface but I have grown to like it.

I do miss the ease Start > search > cmd > enter but have made due by using windows key + R > cmd enter.

One other gripe I do have but is not a deal breaker is the network icon by the clock. Why can't you access the setting of the network adapter by clicking the icon? Workaround is to right-click the icon then open network and sharing center then change adapter settings. IMO, you should be able to access the adapter settings from the flyout when clicking the icon. I'm constantly adjusting adapter settings for different networks for my job so yes, it is a little aggravating.

Overall though, I have taken to the new start menu interface and do like the direction they are headed with the App Store.
--
"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them." Einstein

RazzyEight

@rr.com

If you want to save one step, you could click that Ethernet next to Connections: instead of Change adapter settings. =p

Also Start > search > cmd works fine here. Also hitting Windows key then typing cmd > enter works fine also.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to RazzyWin8

said by RazzyWin8 :

I barely touch the metro applications. I'm always in desktop land. Not sure why you think its less productive unless you think Metro land is the only way to go in Windows 8 (and its not)

Then there is no advantage to Metro or Windows 8.

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary
reply to brianiscool

I installed Windows 8 Pro RTM on my work-issued laptop and have been living with it for a while now. I don't have any problems getting around, I don't miss the Start Menu and like the fast startup and shutdown.

However I still feel the interface is very schizophrenic. I didn't like being kicked out to the Metro interface when I opened a PDF attachment in Outlook. PDFs opened by default in the Metro Reader app even after installing Adobe Reader. I've since fixed that but there lots of little annoyances like that.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to brianiscool

I'm buying a windows 8 laptop. The hybrid ultrabooks/touch screen tablets concepts look really nice.

Not upgrading my desktop PC.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mozerd

said by mozerd:

Windows 8 will be the MOST successful Windows in the History of Windows regardless. Why? because I like it a LOT

Server, PC Desktop, PC Laptop, Tablet and Phone --- the symmetry is exactly what the big enterprise market place have been yearning for.

How so? I was running it on my server and i barely went to the metro part of windows 8 datacenter edition.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
reply to brianiscool

I hope they sell a family pack like they did with Win 7.

izy
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
endless loop
reply to RazzyEight

said by RazzyEight :

If you want to save one step, you could click that Ethernet next to Connections: instead of Change adapter settings. =p

Nothing happens when clicking/right-clicking the connection.
--
"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them." Einstein

bbrcat
Cancer Sucks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-09
No.Conway,NH
kudos:3
reply to brianiscool

As always, I will give it time for the dust to settle before deciding to pop for the 'next,best greatest'.
--
Team
Discovery

jack322

join:2012-09-19
reply to brianiscool

I'll give it a try and if I like it I will switch from my Windows 7

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to brianiscool

Just got a Laptop with W7 and Office 2010, Home and Office preinstalled. Will buy the $14.99 upgrade promotion to just have W8 around. Have ordered my "free" media for W7 and Office 2010, so no changes till I get those discs. [yep there are links for that].

Use it? Will wait for the bugs that are bound to show up and for those to be worked out. Was happy with XP and happy with W7. See no need to change, yet. Just now getting W7 customized for my needs.

BTW- use a Laptop for primary machine and unfortunately have some injuries to hands/wrists that make a Desktop painful to use.

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Jahntassa

said by Jahntassa:

I have yet to see it on a multi monitor station with people who actually multitask. Not sure how that would work with Metro.

I have 3 monitors but I never use teh metro interface. I installed clasic shell I found on Sourceforge, replaced a few of the default apps with the ones I am accustom to using and it works perfectly.
I have noticed a marked improvement in performance over Windows 7, so that alone is reason enough to upgrade. The getting hung in the corners is a bit annoying, but other than that......

As for metro on multi monitors there has to be a way to isolate an individual session and relegate it to a monitor. I haven't seen anything that will do that yet.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to brianiscool

Not I. The User Interface is an utter abomination. It's failed in the mobile space and Microsoft feels it can force it on desktop users.

I've given up on Microsoft actually producing a capable Operating System back in 2002 and never looked back.

I really think Apple or a Linux vendor (Ubuntu) should start pounding the ad circuits at the end of October. So that when people see the abomination that is Windows 8 they will also see that there are viable alternatives that are better.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:10
reply to brianiscool

Not me.
I might consider it if I was purchasing a whole new computer, or assembling one with new hardware from scratch. But I'm sticking with Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit Edition.

bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Verizon VoiceWing

1 recommendation

reply to brianiscool

Not me either. Just upgraded from XP to Win 7 3 months ago. I have better things to do than spend a fortune updating software to make Microsoft rich. What purpose does upgrading serve if what you already have does the job?

I wasted a lot of time getting a couple of issues with Win 7 working.

Gone Fishing
Premium
join:2001-06-29

1 edit
reply to MSeng

said by MSeng:

I'm already running it on a Desktop.

I will purchase it installed on a tablet. Really like the Surface, can't wait to get my hands on one.

+1

Related
DSLR:»[Info] The cheapest and easiest upgrade paths to Windows 8
--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
reply to brianiscool

I'm looking forward to it when used with a tablet. I'm not too big on Apple, so when I replace my Xoom, it may very well be with a Surface. I really haven't decided what to do with regard to my desktop or laptop yet.

Saturn9

@verizon.net
reply to brianiscool

I was considering to use it until_ found out the retail version does not have nfs client support, this support is only included in the Enterprise(volume version, windows 7 has it in the features add-on.