Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix

Re: [WIN8] Who is buying Windows 8?

said by DarkLogix:

Well he did say no "compelling" reason to upgrade.

Most of what you listed is available in win7, and whats not are very un"compelling"

Wrong quote, "compelling" is exactly spot on. But the other quote claiming only Metro is new is false. Everything listed is new in Windows 8, either has never existed before or new released version. Is it "compelling" to upgrade is the exact question asked every OS release, for damn good reason: it probably isn't for an upgrade.

Hardware and software drive OS upgrades. If the power and efficiency of WDDM and DXGI 1.2, as well as the much reduced footprint on resources, as well as the lower latency and burst/spike use of multimedia: turn out "compelling" applications, then an OS upgrade is looked at by the general public. Before that, it is just "marketing hype" to developers. If developers turn it into something "wanted", then the OS will sell well.

Same
model
release
after
release
after
release

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Glen T

MVM

to Glen T
said by Glen T:

I see his point about consenus. It is a bit hard to make up your own mind about Win8 without buying and installing Win8. And if it is installed on your only computer, then it would be pretty onerous to go back to your previous OS if you decide to bail out.

But having said that, knowing how I use my computers, my impressions of Win8 as a user are pretty consistent with the general impressions I got from reading other people's reviews before I installed it.

I guess you could say that Win8 met my expectations.

I am not blind to his point. I simply don’t agree with it in terms of a decision making practice for myself and I believe I said about as much before.

If I have a good first hand experience with Windows 95, 98, 98SE, Me, XP, Vista, Windows 7 and now Windows 8 why should it matter to me if others didn’t? The opinions of others in no way diminishes or enhances my experience and use case so I see no reason to factor it in.

Conversely, could I not have denied myself of a good experience or some degree of experience in itself if I simply blindly followed the majority? These are rhetorical questions mind you.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

What makes you think a consensus will ever be reached?

Windows XP was great.
Windows Vista was a turd.
Windows 7 was great.

Other than a few outlier reviews, these were pretty much publicly accepted consensuses.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Understood,....

And if you can accept that on blind faith then you seem to have found an evaluation system that works,........for you.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
I will be buying two licenses for two machines but will hold off deploying on my main gaming rig. Erm. I can't find reasonably priced touch screen monitors of the 27" size so I am going to be looking for something, besides a mouse to easily navigate the metro part of it. Any ideas? Some people have said to use touch pads or something, like Logitechs touch pad thingy. Feel free to chime in. I do love Windows 8 but they should have thought about the whole touch display thing.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by atuarre:

I will be buying two licenses for two machines but will hold off deploying on my main gaming rig. Erm. I can't find reasonably priced touch screen monitors of the 27" size so I am going to be looking for something, besides a mouse to easily navigate the metro part of it. Any ideas? Some people have said to use touch pads or something, like Logitechs touch pad thingy. Feel free to chime in. I do love Windows 8 but they should have thought about the whole touch display thing.

You don't need touch. On a gaming rig, you'll be on the desktop damn near exclusively.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

And if you can accept that on blind faith then you seem to have found an evaluation system that works,........for you.

Been working so far. Should there come a date when letting the general public be your free beta testing pool is a detriment, I'll change my purchasing patterns.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to atuarre

MVM

to atuarre
said by atuarre:

Too bad you cant just add something like this:

»www.engadget.com/2012/09 ··· -review/

but as markofmayhem said, you dont need touch.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Personally speaking Mele20 See Profile, that's why I build my own machines whenever I can. Obviously with notebooks you can't build your own but with desktops you certainly can and I do that all the time.

I don't understand why you decided to go with Dell and fight with them when you could have very well went to NewEgg.com, bought all of the components yourself (motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc.) and built it all yourself and had complete customization.
Glen T
join:2003-11-03
BC

Glen T

I switched from Dell to Lenovo a while ago for business class computers. No regrets.
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to brianiscool

to brianiscool
id buy it if i had any money

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to brianiscool

MVM

to brianiscool
It looks like the free Windows 8 Media Center Pack is now available. Offer is valid from October 26, 2012, until January 31, 2013.

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· re-packs

It seems to be $9.99 otherwise.

Maven
Premium Member
join:2002-03-12
Canada

Maven to Thaler

Premium Member

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

I'll still wait 6 months for the public to come to a consensus of good/ok/awful for me. I'm not eager to hop on board another ME/Vista launch boat ever again.

That shouldn't be necessary. Hardware makers won't need to build their drivers from the ground up for Win8, because it's still NT6.

What I would suggest is that waiting a bit for the hardware makers to update their drivers would be a good idea.
Kerodo
join:2004-05-08

Kerodo to Thaler

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

I'll still wait 6 months for the public to come to a consensus of good/ok/awful for me. I'm not eager to hop on board another ME/Vista launch boat ever again.

Why wait 6 months? Just Google "windows 8 is the best" in quotes, and "windows 8 is the worst" in quotes, and see the results count for each. There's your public consensus...

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
I will stick with win7 and see what people say about it after a while.
»www.theregister.co.uk/20 ··· ndows_8/
I agree with the guy that says it should have an introduction to itself on the first opening screen.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by rfhar:

I will stick with win7 and see what people say about it after a while.
»www.theregister.co.uk/20 ··· ndows_8/
I agree with the guy that says it should have an introduction to itself on the first opening screen.

They do, but I think its in the wrong spot.

When you do the install of Windows 8, there is a point in the process (I think its before you login for the first time), that there is a little demo of how to open the charms bar.

That does help if you are the one doing the install. However, if your first experience of Windows 8 is like those in that test, none of them did the install, so none of them will see that.

It would be better if that little demo came up on first login. However, that may not also work, as the user account being used probably has already been logged in already doing post OEM processes.

Now, if there was a way to have it launch every time the user logs in, with an option to turn it off once you are comfortable with it, that would be better. I know there are ways to code the application to do that, as I've seen it before. (think always show this option on start up of said application).

--Brian
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf to brianiscool

to brianiscool
I was able to get my hands on the $14.99 upgrade.

I put it on my HTPC connected to a 32" TV. It is a basic TV with horrible overscan, however through the video driver settings I can adjust the resolution to fit on the screen (Nvidia). My only Intel video let me scale without changing the resolution.

In Windows 7, setting a resolution of 1266 x 722 was no problem. Everything appeared properly on the screen, just as it did when I scaled down with my G41. I would go back to using the G41 video, except newer Bluray software won't work with the G41.

Anyways, long story short, once the resolution is adjusted to anything less than 768, Windows 8 has a fit. Can't go into the store, most apps I tried won't work. So my choices are a useless OS or the top and bottom of my screen cut off. I've spent a few hours playing with settings with no luck.

I can't really get into Windows 8 because of this problem. Learning a whole new OS UI is challenging enough (the first major UI change since 1995!!!) without the silly resolution restriction.

From my short experience, Windows 8 gets two thumbs down. If I had more time maybe I would find a solution, but right now I'll be going back to Windows 7.

The pattern continues...every skip every other release. I'm sure Windows 9 will be a good one again.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to Kerodo

Anon

to Kerodo
said by Kerodo:

said by Thaler:

Why wait 6 months? Just Google "windows 8 is the best" in quotes, and "windows 8 is the worst" in quotes, and see the results count for each. There's your public consensus...

It's sad that people look at the public's consensus first before deciding. Really sad.
Glen T
BC

Glen T to markf

to markf
I just booted up my Win8 Dell Inspiron 9400 after having it sit a couple of days, and got my fourth BSOD in a week (the first since I upgraded my video drivers to Win7). Win8 rebooted and recovered.

I don't know if it is the video drivers for sure (Nvidia) but so far, Win8 is quite unstable on this machine. I started off with the Win8 generic video driver, but like markf, could not get the native resolution of the screen to work. Changed back to the Vista drivers that were there before - but had three BSOD events. Found Win7 Beta video drivers on Nvidia support site, and that seemed to work - until today.

Did not have video card driver problems on this machine pre-Win8 and did not have BSOD under Vista, XP or Win7 on this machine.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to markf

Anon

to markf
Metro apps requires 768px or higher. No exception. It's your TV overscan's fault, not Windows.
RazzyW8

RazzyW8 to Glen T

Anon

to Glen T
said by Glen T:

I just booted up my Win8 Dell Inspiron 9400 after having it sit a couple of days, and got my fourth BSOD in a week (the first since I upgraded my video drivers to Win7). Win8 rebooted and recovered.

I don't know if it is the video drivers for sure (Nvidia) but so far, Win8 is quite unstable on this machine. I started off with the Win8 generic video driver, but like markf, could not get the native resolution of the screen to work. Changed back to the Vista drivers that were there before - but had three BSOD events. Found Win7 Beta video drivers on Nvidia support site, and that seemed to work - until today.

Did not have video card driver problems on this machine pre-Win8 and did not have BSOD under Vista, XP or Win7 on this machine.

What is the stop code?
Glen T
BC

1 edit

Glen T

Hmm... stop code by another name?

Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC0000001

There are bugcheck addresses and memory dump.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to RazzyW8

Anon

to RazzyW8
»www.geforce.com/drivers/ ··· ts/49948

Try this driver? I know it's a desktop one.
Glen T
BC

Glen T

said by RazzyW8 :

»www.geforce.com/drivers/ ··· ts/49948

Try this driver? I know it's a desktop one.

That's 64bit. I need 32bit.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to RazzyW8

Anon

to RazzyW8
Oh nm, I see. You are using beta Windows 7 (and Vista) drivers. Yea you'll have issues. Just gotta find the correct driver for that NVidia 7900 card....
RazzyW8

RazzyW8 to Glen T

Anon

to Glen T
said by Glen T:

Hmm... stop code by another name?

Windows failed fast startup with error status 0x0000001

There are bugcheck addresses and memory dump.

the 0x0000001 can reference to bad/outdated video drivers.

You just gotta find the right drivers. Just keep in mind you're using an old laptop with a video card that wasn't even supported by Nvidia themselves back then - you'd have to go with the OEM to get the latest drivers.
RazzyW8

RazzyW8 to Glen T

Anon

to Glen T
»www.geforce.com/drivers/ ··· ts/49891
Kerodo
join:2004-05-08

Kerodo to RazzyW8

to RazzyW8
said by RazzyW8 :

said by Kerodo:

said by Thaler:

It's sad that people look at the public's consensus first before deciding. Really sad.

I agree, I was half kidding with that. I always try something for myself before deciding. That's the only way to know...
Glen T
BC

Glen T to RazzyW8

to RazzyW8
Installer won't go - wrong vid card. I think that I'm probably hooped here on this machine. The Win7 drivers are probably as stable as I am going to find.

This is a cavet for anyone upgrading to Win8 on an older laptop. This machine ran fine with XP, Vista and Win7 32bit and 64bit installed.

So there are video driver differences between Win8 and Win7 and Vista. I guess you would be wise to run the MS Win8 compatibility wizard before committing to a Win8 purchase and installation.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8

Anon

You may need to edit the *.inf file created by extracting the files into C:\NVIDIA.

Something like this:

»www.w7forums.com/run-lat ··· 620.html