join:2000-05-04
Dayton, MD
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US

1 recommendation

reply to Glen T
said by Glen T:

said by izy:

I Not trying to get anal here but have you tried 8.

Yup. I have installed it as an upgrade on separate machine that I'm using for installer testing...

...When I install Windows software on Win8 Pro, it automatically puts all of the installed program's shortcuts at the top level in the Metro Start page. Since you can't create folders on the Metro Start page, you can't organize the shortcuts easily. That would be about 200 shortcuts compared to your 50 or so....

You actually can create "folders" in the Modern start menu. Move the icons you want to group to a column. Click the '-' (minus) sign in the lower right corner. Right click on the column. Click name your column and name your column. And you have "folders" just like one may have had them in the old start menu.

Edited--correction
--
...as an individual, I have a right to [do] what I think, what I feel, and I think we all have a right to our own destiny as individuals. And I think I have a right to choose mine and everybody else has a right to choose theirs.
»jonestown.sdsu.edu

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to brianiscool
Got both biz and home PCs on Windows 8 Pro now. RDP is even better! I dunno if it's me but it feels smoother over RDP than previous Windows. It has this connection meter on the status bar that looks like wifi/mobile data meter.

I'm using the same live.id on both machine so everytime I changed a background or add a favorite or whatever (a lot of things) gets sync, the other machine automatically gets updated (and you can turn this off per machine) I have everything synced including passwords.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to brianiscool
said by izy:

said by Glen T:

When I install Windows software on Win8 Pro, it automatically puts all of the installed program's shortcuts at the top level in the Metro Start page. Since you can't create folders on the Metro Start page, you can't organize the shortcuts easily. That would be about 200 shortcuts compared to your 50 or so.

And you can easily "unpin" those programs from the top-level metro interface.

Attached "All Programs" screenie under metro which is just one third of all installed programs on one screen. Again, have you actually used Win8 yet?

said by jbgroup1:

said by Glen T:

said by izy:

I Not trying to get anal here but have you tried 8.

Yup. I have installed it as an upgrade on separate machine that I'm using for installer testing...

...When I install Windows software on Win8 Pro, it automatically puts all of the installed program's shortcuts at the top level in the Metro Start page. Since you can't create folders on the Metro Start page, you can't organize the shortcuts easily. That would be about 200 shortcuts compared to your 50 or so....

You actually can create "folders" in the Modern start menu. Move the icons you want to group to a column. Click the '-' (minus) sign in the lower right corner. Right click on the column. Click name your column and name your column. And you have "folders" just like one may have had them in the old start menu.

Edited--correction

Very informative lots of good info there. Thanks for sharing that. I enjoy learning Windows 8 tips and tricks. I look forward to using Windows 8 and becoming more proficient with it as well as finding new ways of doing things,....

said by Glen T:

I'm sure with time I could learn more efficient ways to get around Metro. But why bother? Once I'm done testing installers, I'll be putting Win8 on the shelf where it will stay unless I have a support issue.

Expand your moderator at work

izy
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
endless loop
kudos:2
reply to jbgroup1

Re: [WIN8] Who is buying Windows 8?

Excellent! Did not know that. More I use Win8 the more I'm diggin it.
--
"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them." Einstein

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
I wouldn't want my Microsoft Live user to be my login for Windows. I have a very very strong password for my Live account that I keep in my password management program and I use a simpler password for Windows log on. All Internet facing logins get very strong, random passwords.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

izy
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
endless loop
You don't have to use Live for you windows logon account. Local accounts still exist and you can "link" to Live if you wish.
--
"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them." Einstein

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork
kudos:6

You should actually read the articles you post.
--
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX
reply to brianiscool

I don't know what people are complaining about it for. I love Windows 8 but as always, haters are gonna hate.

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC

1 edit
reply to izy
said by izy:

Sorry, after re-reading missed this but man are you making it tough on yourself....even with windows 7 using the start menu or metro to locate an app!

Win7:
Win key - Type name of app in the search box to return results

Win8:
Win key - Start typing name of app.

Win7/Win8 if it is installed search will find it!

If I wanted to type commands to search, I'd switch back to DOS. Same with accelerator keys. I like clicking on icons and I like the Start menu. The way that I have it set up, it is efficient for me and I will stick with what works, until something better comes along. And for me, Win8 is not something better.

With enough money, time and effort you could change a Volkswagon into a Ferrari. But why bother when you already own a Ferrari?

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to trparky
Completely understandable. There is always Local account you can use. Live ID is not required to use Windows 8. I do NOT save any important sites like email password. Only sites like forums, Facebook, Twitter, whatever it's not important. I do not use the same passwords that my important sites on those sites.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to Glen T
Clicking on "All Programs" (or wait for hover time) is not efficient for me.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to atuarre
said by atuarre:

I love Windows 8 but as always, haters are gonna hate.

Why do people always confuse "not worth the upgrade cost" for "I hate this product"? Can't a product be both acceptable but not worth upgrading from Windows 7?

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX
39.99? I think that's the cheapest upgrade (besides them giving it away for free or for 14.99 (which ive seen some where)).

Carbon Unit
Premium,MVM
join:2001-07-21
Saint Charles, MO
reply to brianiscool
Well I couldnt get any stability out of Win 8 Pro, did the upgrade and had nothing but hang ups and rebooting issues, kept getting the sad face BSOD DPC watchdog violation error, most of the app tiles could not connect to the internet, bing.com kept auto launching in its own browser window, battlefield 3 was extremely laggy, droped frames like mad, tried to do a clean install but I kept getting corruption, Im using a i5 ivybridge with a Intel extreme mobo, could be a issue with the boards firmware? right now it not going to work for me, I did like the desktop environment, especially after I installed the stardock start button...anyway I re installed windows 7 and everything is rock solid again.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to atuarre
$40 or $15 is a chunk of change to spend on something that still seems to be a desktop skin change. Windows 8 is worth the money if it comes on a new computer, but again, still haven't seen anything very moving as to why Windows 7 users want/need this thing.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
I like it. Worth it to me enough to buy 7 copies (so far). All being switched over from 7.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to Carbon Unit
said by Carbon Unit:

Well I couldnt get any stability out of Win 8 Pro, did the upgrade and had nothing but hang ups and rebooting issues, kept getting the sad face BSOD DPC watchdog violation error, most of the app tiles could not connect to the internet, bing.com kept auto launching in its own browser window, battlefield 3 was extremely laggy, droped frames like mad, tried to do a clean install but I kept getting corruption, Im using a i5 ivybridge with a Intel extreme mobo, could be a issue with the boards firmware? right now it not going to work for me, I did like the desktop environment, especially after I installed the stardock start button...anyway I re installed windows 7 and everything is rock solid again.

Are you overclocking?

Glen T

BC
reply to RazzyW8
said by RazzyW8 :

Clicking on "All Programs" (or wait for hover time) is not efficient for me.

A lot of foks keep saying how it is easier to click/tap on the Metro Start screen, but they keep leaving out the steps required to get from the desktop to Start screen. Click for click (plus swipe/scroll, tap/click and type characters/search) I can still get to my applications in the Win7 Start menu with fewer operations than I can with Win8 Metro Start screen.

Glen T

BC
reply to Carbon Unit
Sounds like you may have video card driver issues like I did.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to Glen T
Um

I just move mouse to lower left corner and click, then Start Screen shows up. That's ONE click.

OR you could just hit WIN key.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4
reply to brianiscool
I was thinking about upgrading from Win7 for $40 but discovered from the upgrade assistant that

1. My screen resolution (1280 x 1024) is inadequate to support snap apps which require a minimum of at least 1366 x 768 . Interestingly my total pixels are more than the minimum needed, but apparently I need a wider screen to use this feature.

2. My hardware doesn't support Secure Boot. From what I understand this means that I won't be able to prevent a dual boot into operating systems other than Windows system. Why this is something I would want is not at all clear to me, so incompatibility with Secure Boot is not much of a downside to me.

3. I will not be able to use native Windows codecs to play DVD's. Instead I will have to buy additional software.

4. My installed Sidebar gadgets won't work.

Otherwise I'm good to go. Right now I remain unconvinced that the benefits of the new Windows are worth the cost and loss of existing features.

What are the benefits I'm missing?
--
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

RazzyW8

@rr.com
said by jmorlan:

I was thinking about upgrading from Win7 for $40 but discovered from the upgrade assistant that

1. My screen resolution (1280 x 1024) is inadequate to support snap apps which require a minimum of at least 1366 x 768 . Interestingly my total pixels are more than the minimum needed, but apparently I need a wider screen to use this feature.

2. My hardware doesn't support Secure Boot. From what I understand this means that I won't be able to prevent a dual boot into operating systems other than Windows system. Why this is something I would want is not at all clear to me, so incompatibility with Secure Boot is not much of a downside to me.

3. I will not be able to use native Windows codecs to play DVD's. Instead I will have to buy additional software.

Otherwise I'm good to go. Right now I remain unconvinced that the benefits of the new Windows are worth the cost and loss of existing features.

1. That's only for Metro applications. Your usual Windows software will still work.

2. You don't need secure boot to install 8, it's there as an option.

3. There's a free Media Center upgrade going on if you buy the $39.99 Windows 8 Pro by going here -> »windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···re-packs.
Scroll down alittle bit. Otherwise if you have Windows 8 Pro, you just need to pay $9.99 for a Media Center pack. Or you could install VLC as that has DVD playback.

4. Sorry. Sidebar gadgets is gone in 8 because of the Metro Live Tiles.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Badonkadonk
said by Badonkadonk:

I like it. Worth it to me enough to buy 7 copies (so far). All being switched over from 7.

You just wanted to make the 7 match.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
lol. I'm actually going to get 10 I think. The last three are for only occasionally used laptops, so I'm a little uncertain about those upgrades.
--
I guess we'll have to sue Mother Nature now for voter suppression. Vote Romney/Ryan 2012 and end the stupidity.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to jmorlan
said by jmorlan:

My Asus Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 tablet PC is running Windows 8 reasonably well. There are some minor issues but nothing major and I suspect that I can correct some if not all of them.

1) This is maybe about a 2yr old tablet but is reasonably powerful. It only has a 12.1” touch screen (Wacom Digitizer support) with a native resolution of 1280x800 so “Snap” wont work. There used to be a very simple registry modification that would force “Snap” to work on lower resolution screens but it no longer works in the RTM version. This is a feature of questionable utility or perhaps its better to say the value of this depends on an individual use case. I performed the registry mod (I forget which prerelease that was) used “Snap” a few times and then promptly forgot about it.

2) Secure Boot, I haven’t come up against any mention of it yet but I plan to install some more TechNet Windows 8 Pro licenses and I also plan to buy another four to six licenses so during those installs I may come up against some concerns with respect to Secure Boot. For most of my systems I don’t think it will be a problem though.

3) Codecs to play DVD's and some files (AVCHD / H.264) should be in the Windows 8 Media Center Kit which is free (via free key) from October 26, 2012, until January 31, 2013. So that should get you sorted if that is a concern.

4) Sidebar gadgets, not sure there. I haven’t used those in some time so I don’t know what if anything would be analogous to this.