share rss forum feed

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
reply to Thaler

Re: [WIN8] Who is buying Windows 8?

I like it. Worth it to me enough to buy 7 copies (so far). All being switched over from 7.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to Carbon Unit
said by Carbon Unit:

Well I couldnt get any stability out of Win 8 Pro, did the upgrade and had nothing but hang ups and rebooting issues, kept getting the sad face BSOD DPC watchdog violation error, most of the app tiles could not connect to the internet, bing.com kept auto launching in its own browser window, battlefield 3 was extremely laggy, droped frames like mad, tried to do a clean install but I kept getting corruption, Im using a i5 ivybridge with a Intel extreme mobo, could be a issue with the boards firmware? right now it not going to work for me, I did like the desktop environment, especially after I installed the stardock start button...anyway I re installed windows 7 and everything is rock solid again.

Are you overclocking?

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC
reply to RazzyW8
said by RazzyW8 :

Clicking on "All Programs" (or wait for hover time) is not efficient for me.

A lot of foks keep saying how it is easier to click/tap on the Metro Start screen, but they keep leaving out the steps required to get from the desktop to Start screen. Click for click (plus swipe/scroll, tap/click and type characters/search) I can still get to my applications in the Win7 Start menu with fewer operations than I can with Win8 Metro Start screen.

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC
reply to Carbon Unit
Sounds like you may have video card driver issues like I did.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to Glen T
Um

I just move mouse to lower left corner and click, then Start Screen shows up. That's ONE click.

OR you could just hit WIN key.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4
reply to brianiscool
I was thinking about upgrading from Win7 for $40 but discovered from the upgrade assistant that

1. My screen resolution (1280 x 1024) is inadequate to support snap apps which require a minimum of at least 1366 x 768 . Interestingly my total pixels are more than the minimum needed, but apparently I need a wider screen to use this feature.

2. My hardware doesn't support Secure Boot. From what I understand this means that I won't be able to prevent a dual boot into operating systems other than Windows system. Why this is something I would want is not at all clear to me, so incompatibility with Secure Boot is not much of a downside to me.

3. I will not be able to use native Windows codecs to play DVD's. Instead I will have to buy additional software.

4. My installed Sidebar gadgets won't work.

Otherwise I'm good to go. Right now I remain unconvinced that the benefits of the new Windows are worth the cost and loss of existing features.

What are the benefits I'm missing?
--
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

RazzyW8

@rr.com
said by jmorlan:

I was thinking about upgrading from Win7 for $40 but discovered from the upgrade assistant that

1. My screen resolution (1280 x 1024) is inadequate to support snap apps which require a minimum of at least 1366 x 768 . Interestingly my total pixels are more than the minimum needed, but apparently I need a wider screen to use this feature.

2. My hardware doesn't support Secure Boot. From what I understand this means that I won't be able to prevent a dual boot into operating systems other than Windows system. Why this is something I would want is not at all clear to me, so incompatibility with Secure Boot is not much of a downside to me.

3. I will not be able to use native Windows codecs to play DVD's. Instead I will have to buy additional software.

Otherwise I'm good to go. Right now I remain unconvinced that the benefits of the new Windows are worth the cost and loss of existing features.

1. That's only for Metro applications. Your usual Windows software will still work.

2. You don't need secure boot to install 8, it's there as an option.

3. There's a free Media Center upgrade going on if you buy the $39.99 Windows 8 Pro by going here -> »windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···re-packs.
Scroll down alittle bit. Otherwise if you have Windows 8 Pro, you just need to pay $9.99 for a Media Center pack. Or you could install VLC as that has DVD playback.

4. Sorry. Sidebar gadgets is gone in 8 because of the Metro Live Tiles.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to Badonkadonk
said by Badonkadonk:

I like it. Worth it to me enough to buy 7 copies (so far). All being switched over from 7.

You just wanted to make the 7 match.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
lol. I'm actually going to get 10 I think. The last three are for only occasionally used laptops, so I'm a little uncertain about those upgrades.
--
I guess we'll have to sue Mother Nature now for voter suppression. Vote Romney/Ryan 2012 and end the stupidity.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to jmorlan
said by jmorlan:

My Asus Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 tablet PC is running Windows 8 reasonably well. There are some minor issues but nothing major and I suspect that I can correct some if not all of them.

1) This is maybe about a 2yr old tablet but is reasonably powerful. It only has a 12.1” touch screen (Wacom Digitizer support) with a native resolution of 1280x800 so “Snap” wont work. There used to be a very simple registry modification that would force “Snap” to work on lower resolution screens but it no longer works in the RTM version. This is a feature of questionable utility or perhaps its better to say the value of this depends on an individual use case. I performed the registry mod (I forget which prerelease that was) used “Snap” a few times and then promptly forgot about it.

2) Secure Boot, I haven’t come up against any mention of it yet but I plan to install some more TechNet Windows 8 Pro licenses and I also plan to buy another four to six licenses so during those installs I may come up against some concerns with respect to Secure Boot. For most of my systems I don’t think it will be a problem though.

3) Codecs to play DVD's and some files (AVCHD / H.264) should be in the Windows 8 Media Center Kit which is free (via free key) from October 26, 2012, until January 31, 2013. So that should get you sorted if that is a concern.

4) Sidebar gadgets, not sure there. I haven’t used those in some time so I don’t know what if anything would be analogous to this.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
OK, so I bought and installed Windows 8. Does seem snappier than Windows 7. But the Start Screen... no, just no.

I spent about five minutes with the Start Screen. One word comes to mind... annoying. Installed Start8 by Stardock and I'm happy.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
Does anyone have the version being displayed in the lower right corner of the screen?

Windows 8 Pro
Build 9200

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
Nevermind, it wasn't activated. Weird, because I swore it was activated.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
reply to brianiscool
Whats the new performace enhancements?
New CPU support, single and multi-threaded workload updates , pci E 3.0? DX12?

Any DirectSound support yet or EAX support?

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to brianiscool
Did I need Win 8? Nah, but for $39.99 I just couldn't resist...sue me, I am weak-minded...

First off, the only tablet based OS that I have any familiarity with is Android.

Like many guys, I spent almost zero seconds reading up, or preparing for anything, aside of looking at application compatibility before installing.

First impressions? Took me a bit to get any feel for the new start screen, but really not having any particular difficulties with it.

I am not sure that I can say there are any "compelling" reasons for me to switch, other than wanting to see what the latest version is about, and the possibility that I may want to go to a Surface tablet in the near future.

Although the UI is set up for tablet/touch screen usage, I really have no issue with mousing around onit, and I always have the desktop to revert to when need be.

I can't say that I either like or dislike Win 8, after I get a little more familiar with it I'll decide (I won't depend on the general "public's" pronouncement!). At any rate, once I got over my initial reaction to Metro, looks like no big woof.
--
Deeds, not words

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

1 edit
reply to brianiscool
One thing I did, since I bought so many copies, is I purchased $25 off coupons for $10 each on Ebay. So, my cost for Windows 8 Pro (plus the media add-in, which is free for a limited time) ends up being $25 per each installation.

I have no idea where the coupons came from and what they were originally intended for, so this is at your own risk if you go this route.
--
I guess we'll have to sue Mother Nature now for voter suppression. Vote Romney/Ryan 2012 and end the stupidity.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to PeteC2
You don't NEED to use Metro apps on your desktop computers. It'll drive me nuts if I'm forced to use only Metro apps on my Windows 8 desktops. I'll indeed go back to Windows 7 if that's the case.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to trparky
said by trparky:

OK, so I bought and installed Windows 8. Does seem snappier than Windows 7. But the Start Screen... no, just no.

I spent about five minutes with the Start Screen. One word comes to mind... annoying. Installed Start8 by Stardock and I'm happy.

Just five mins huh? Not enough time.

HappyFrappy

join:2000-10-04
North
reply to brianiscool
I bought/installed Windows 8 on my spare Thinkpad T61(Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz)on the release day to see how big of a performance difference it would be from Windows XP. The speed gains is impressive, sadly I needed to use a 3rd party start button solution as Metro/Start Screen sucks if most of your applications run on the "desktop".

Currently I just finished wiping Windows 8 off the Thinkpad, installed Vista Home Premium as I missed Windows Media Center... I can't believe after three days still no key emailed for the WMC for Win 8. I guess Microsoft would rather sucker as many people into the Win 8 promo pricing then shaft 'em for not including WMC.

*shrugs* maybe I'll end up triple booting this Thinkpad if the WMC key ever arrives(WinXP, Vista Home Premium and Windows 8)

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
reply to brianiscool
Click for full size
Anyone relate to this?

Freddy

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
If you're talking about MS, I think their strategy makes a lot of sense. Look across all their platforms--Xbox, Surface, Desktops, Phones, etc. It's a great transformation that goes to the core of the company. I like it.
--

LeeBee
It's Dark Out There

join:2003-06-18
Swissieland
reply to HappyFrappy
said by HappyFrappy:

I can't believe after three days still no key emailed for the WMC for Win 8. I guess Microsoft would rather sucker as many people into the Win 8 promo pricing then shaft 'em for not including WMC.

check your spam, my two arrived exactly 24 hours later. Installed, working....! Not Metro!!

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to HappyFrappy
said by HappyFrappy:

...as Metro/Start Screen sucks if most of your applications run on the "desktop".

What do you mean? You can launch desktop applications from the Start Screen.

HappyFrappy

join:2000-10-04
North
I know you can launch applications from the Start Screen, however it looks very silly to pin 20+ applications instead of going to your pinned to dock/recent apps on the start menu. I used to think one of my exes was crazy for having shortcuts to 30+ applications on a WinXP desktop, this "Start Screen" concept is going to be a scrollfest for many users.

I actually used my ancient hotmail email(1998) on the key request, Microsoft emails never get spam flagged so I'm guessing like the other thread so many people multi-registered that others like myself are "stuck" in the que.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
Whats the difference between scroll fest in Start screen and the little start menu with the scrollbar? Start screen will show more apps on screen then the start menu will.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to brianiscool
How do you buy multiple licenses using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant,….?

***edit***

I guess you can't.
Expand your moderator at work

bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
reply to brianiscool

Re: [WIN8] Who is buying Windows 8?

I did. Upgraded (after nuking win 7). Was a flawless install via the web on DELL Studio 1737

I had a Windows media center Key, too and it worked fine.

HP Photosmart 3310 software was/is available from HP.

1. Problem AES2810 (Authentec) fingerprint reader. Works fine with Windows.

New Authentec Software not available for sale only trial?
--
- Bill

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to RazzyW8
said by RazzyW8 :

Whats the difference between scroll fest in Start screen and the little start menu with the scrollbar? Start screen will show more apps on screen then the start menu will.

Most don't need/want a list of all of their apps on one screen.

with the start menu your most used would be in a nice little list.

but this start screen is like seeing those people that plaster their desktop with icons.