Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Freddy

Re: [WIN8] Who is buying Windows 8?

If you're talking about MS, I think their strategy makes a lot of sense. Look across all their platforms--Xbox, Surface, Desktops, Phones, etc. It's a great transformation that goes to the core of the company. I like it.
--
I guess we'll have to sue Mother Nature now for voter suppression. Vote Romney/Ryan 2012 and end the stupidity.

LeeBee
It's Dark Out There

join:2003-06-18
Swissieland
reply to HappyFrappy

said by HappyFrappy:

I can't believe after three days still no key emailed for the WMC for Win 8. I guess Microsoft would rather sucker as many people into the Win 8 promo pricing then shaft 'em for not including WMC.

check your spam, my two arrived exactly 24 hours later. Installed, working....! Not Metro!!

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to HappyFrappy

said by HappyFrappy:

...as Metro/Start Screen sucks if most of your applications run on the "desktop".

What do you mean? You can launch desktop applications from the Start Screen.

HappyFrappy

join:2000-10-04
North

I know you can launch applications from the Start Screen, however it looks very silly to pin 20+ applications instead of going to your pinned to dock/recent apps on the start menu. I used to think one of my exes was crazy for having shortcuts to 30+ applications on a WinXP desktop, this "Start Screen" concept is going to be a scrollfest for many users.

I actually used my ancient hotmail email(1998) on the key request, Microsoft emails never get spam flagged so I'm guessing like the other thread so many people multi-registered that others like myself are "stuck" in the que.

RazzyW8

@rr.com

Whats the difference between scroll fest in Start screen and the little start menu with the scrollbar? Start screen will show more apps on screen then the start menu will.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to brianiscool

How do you buy multiple licenses using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant,….?

***edit***

I guess you can't.

Expand your moderator at work

bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
reply to brianiscool

Re: [WIN8] Who is buying Windows 8?

I did. Upgraded (after nuking win 7). Was a flawless install via the web on DELL Studio 1737

I had a Windows media center Key, too and it worked fine.

HP Photosmart 3310 software was/is available from HP.

1. Problem AES2810 (Authentec) fingerprint reader. Works fine with Windows.

New Authentec Software not available for sale only trial?
--
- Bill

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to RazzyW8

said by RazzyW8 :

Whats the difference between scroll fest in Start screen and the little start menu with the scrollbar? Start screen will show more apps on screen then the start menu will.

Most don't need/want a list of all of their apps on one screen.

with the start menu your most used would be in a nice little list.

but this start screen is like seeing those people that plaster their desktop with icons.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to bgoodbody

said by bgoodbody:

I did. Upgraded (after nuking win 7). Was a flawless install via the web on DELL Studio 1737

I had a Windows media center Key, too and it worked fine.

HP Photosmart 3310 software was/is available from HP.

1. Problem AES2810 (Authentec) fingerprint reader. Works fine with Windows.

New Authentec Software not available for sale only trial?

Well thats good for your security, Authentec stores your passwords in a weak encryption that any hacker can hack, and its right in your registery.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to DarkLogix

Well you could have just 5 apps on the screen or 50 apps on the screen.

Never mind though. I get it, you just want to see the desktop while you're navigating the menu. LOL

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
reply to brianiscool

Question

I understand the media center key "expires" (must be used) by end of January.

Must one also use the OS upgrade key by then??

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to RazzyW8

said by RazzyW8 :

Well you could have just 5 apps on the screen or 50 apps on the screen.

Never mind though. I get it, you just want to see the desktop while you're navigating the menu. LOL

I often use the windows key as a tab out of a full screen game.

or to get something quickly, if I have to scroll the whole screen that is bad.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to amungus

said by amungus:

Question

I understand the media center key "expires" (must be used) by end of January.

Must one also use the OS upgrade key by then??

No but one must use the Windows 8 key in order to use the free Windows 8 Media Center Pack key so the former precludes the use of the latter.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to DarkLogix

Yep same here! And I put the most recents apps on left part of Start Screen. My start screen isn't even filled up at all, there are a bunch of live tiles showing me stocks/weather/mail/etc at a glance when I hit WIN key.

You know that when you use mouse wheel in start screen, scroll down to right, up to the left. It's too easy. Way better than little start menu and you'd have to keep the mouse inside the little All Program box to scroll.

amungus
Premium
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable
reply to Octavean

Figured as much. Makes sense though. I wonder if the Media Center will be forever tied to that hardware, or what will happen if I upgrade down the road..
For example, say I get 8 + Media Center on my main HTPC. I know they relaxed the rules on upgrading hardware, so, say I rebuild that machine in a year or two, 8 activates, but what about the Media Center key???

Next question:

How many times can I purchase an upgrade from the same PC?

For example, I don't want to run through this mess on all of my machines (especially messing with it on the HTPC). Can I purchase more than one from the same PC, and then, for example, use "key 2" on "PC 2" ?

Ideally, this should work, but I am curious if anyone else has done it.

This also concerns me:

»blogs.windows.com/windows/b/blog···-99.aspx

if you prefer to format your hard drive as part of your upgrade experience, you can do so as long as you boot from media and then format your hard drive from within the setup experience for installing Windows 8, not prior to it.

(emphasis mine)

Does that mean you have to have some version of Windows installed on a hard drive in order for the format to continue and then accept your "upgrade" key?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to RazzyW8

said by RazzyW8 :

Yep same here! And I put the most recents apps on left part of Start Screen. My start screen isn't even filled up at all, there are a bunch of live tiles showing me stocks/weather/mail/etc at a glance when I hit WIN key.

You know that when you use mouse wheel in start screen, scroll down to right, up to the left. It's too easy. Way better than little start menu and you'd have to keep the mouse inside the little All Program box to scroll.

A full screen start screen is fail.

I don't want live tiles, if I want that I'll get a gadget.
and with the start menu if you're going to click on something you're going to have your mouse there anyway.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to amungus

I don’t rightly know. Once the Windows 8 Media Center Pack key has been activated I suspect that you’ll be able to reuse it in the future but it may be denied if it is excessively used. In any case I suspect that a call to Microsoft would remedy the problem. It’s a bit of a drag to have to deal with both a Windows OS key and a Media Center Pack key though now that you mention it.

The way I understand it, yes you must have a qualifying prerequisite activated OS even for a clean install. A key is required for the OS install and the OS attempts auto activation. Not sure how to sidestep this but I have read of a way.

amungus
Premium
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

Yeah, I'm hopeful they kind of "perma-activate" the Media Center key if you get it going before the deadline, so that it can be re-used easily in the event of a reinstall (etc.).

Regarding the upgrade needing to "see" a prior install, meh.

My only concern now is going about getting an upgrade license for more than 1 machine, using only one machine
I'm interested in upgrading at least a couple of older machines, and possibly a few "main" machines.

It would be much preferred to go through the purchase of the license on one box, then assign licenses accordingly.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

I agree,…

I ordered one license via the Upgrade Assistant and that only seemed to allow the purchase of a single license at a time. I don’t think there is anything preventing the purchase of more licenses this way but it is inconvenient only being able to buy one at a time.

I think I will be buying another AURIA EQ276W 27" IPS LED Monitor 2560x1440 monitor ($399.99) from Microcenter so I’ll likely add a $38.88 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional boxed license / install media kit. Maybe two if I bring someone else with me as these are limited to one per-customer.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to brianiscool

for 14.99, I grabbed 2 keys...

»Windows 8 pro [upgrade] for 14.99

and if you don't qualify, 39.99 is still cheap...