uniqs
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool

Re: [WIN8] Who is buying Windows 8?

I still don't expect to see it on a non tablet in my own use.

7 is not bothering me in any way I can detect. And I never fix anything if it isn't broken.

I'd like to play games wanting windows (not Android) on my tablet, and really that is the full extent of my interest in 8.
The second it makes my tablet able to run the last 10 years of wargames (from Matrix Games/Slitherine primarily), I'm interested. Until then, I likely couldn't be interested in it if it was free.

I'm cool with my desktop becoming no more interesting than a manual typewriter, and my laptop essentially no longer required to be all that mobile.

Just recently realized my tablet thanks to Supernote, is essentially able to let me discontinue needing a pencil and notebook to write minor indulgences when I am out of the house. I am almost ready to consider my tablet my primary means of computer use (other than large volume writing tasks best done with a keyboard).

Not sure how much my own computer activities will mirror mainstream though. Not much of a hard core gamer, so the power of a tablet is not really that big of an issue with me.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to btB

to btB
said by btB :

Amazing that there are still people who have irrational hatred toward 8. What Microsoft is doing is trying to do in Windows 8 tries to integrate 2 operating systems into one. Now if you do not like the "new OS and new apps" and prefer to use the old style interface, it just takes a minute to install the freebie Classic Shell or the $5 Start8 start menu alternatives.

Classic Shell
»classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Start8
»www.stardock.com/product ··· /start8/

Having used both Classic Shell and Start8 I would recommend Start8 .

It is worth the cost.

Dave

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
I jumped ship from Windows to Mac when Vista came out but been keeping an eye on the Microsoft Surface. Windows 8 looks appealing on new hardware.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to izy

Anon

to izy
said by izy:

And how did you get to that screen? Right click network adapter by the clock and choose "Open Network and Sharing Center" right? Right?

That's not what the issue is...in Win7 you would left click the adapter and choose "Open Network and Sharing Center"

Now in Win8, when you LEFT click the network icon by your presented with a Flyout menu with the ability to join Wireless networks but UNABLE to edit your wired OR wireless connections from this menu. Why?

Also, what ever happened to "Manage wireless networks"???

RIGHT, like i said you could save ONE STEP - by going to the red box instead of Change your adapter.

Left click? Right click? Does it matter? It's one click.

As for "Manage wireless networks" -> See this link. »www.7tutorials.com/how-m ··· indows-8

You'd want to click "Forget this network" if you want to reestablish the wireless network with different passcodes/encryptions. Much FASTER than Windows 7's Manage Wireless Network.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to brianiscool

MVM

to brianiscool
For what its worth,...

Dell to Continue to Offer Windows 7 After Windows 8 Launch
Tristan
join:2006-09-10
Nepean, ON

Tristan to brianiscool

to brianiscool
The Windows 8 malware will not exist on my computers.

Myself, my family, and the company I work for have already made plans, and they don't include Windows 8.

I don't like Metro. I don't like the new start screen. I don't like how it flips in and out of the two GUIs. I don't like how Microsoft wants to dumb down my powerful desktop to make it more like a productively weak tablet. I don't like how I have just made an investment in Windows 7, and haven't milked it for all it's worth yet.

There's not a single compelling reason for me to use Windows 8. With Linux starting to get more attention in the game space, there will be even fewer things holding me to Windows.

Maybe we'll consider Windows 9, but only if Microsoft corrects some serious issues found in Windows 8. I won't bring them up here, because they can be found elsewhere on the net, with a little research.

I would buy Windows 8 if it was half-way decent, and I would spend $200 or more for it. Right now, it's not worth $free. I'll just hold on to what I have. I skipped over 2000 and Vista, and have not regretted it for one moment.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8

Anon

said by Tristan:

The Windows 8 malware will not exist on my computers.

Myself, my family, and the company I work for have already made plans, and they don't include Windows 8.

I don't like Metro. I don't like the new start screen. I don't like how it flips in and out of the two GUIs. I don't like how Microsoft wants to dumb down my powerful desktop to make it more like a productively weak tablet. I don't like how I have just made an investment in Windows 7, and haven't milked it for all it's worth yet.

There's not a single compelling reason for me to use Windows 8. With Linux starting to get more attention in the game space, there will be even fewer things holding me to Windows.

Maybe we'll consider Windows 9, but only if Microsoft corrects some serious issues found in Windows 8. I won't bring them up here, because they can be found elsewhere on the net, with a little research.

I would buy Windows 8 if it was half-way decent, and I would spend $200 or more for it. Right now, it's not worth $free. I'll just hold on to what I have. I skipped over 2000 and Vista, and have not regretted it for one moment.

It is obvious you never used Windows 8 or sit down and learn Windows 8.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to brianiscool

to brianiscool
I'll be sticking with win7 for a while. I really like it, it's stable, fast, and works.

Since MS is working on win9 and I'm sure planning win10 I'll wait and see what they do with those.

If I do ever get a tablet I'll definitely get one with an atom processor and win8 but I doubt that will ever happen.

LeeBee
It's Dark Out There
join:2003-06-18
Swissieland

LeeBee to brianiscool

to brianiscool
Win8 suits me just fine. It's been 3 years since I last ploughed through the Start Menu and Win8 is a natural progression.

On a 5-year-old Dell XPS M1330 with SSD, I boot in 11 seconds and resume in 1. I reboot once a month.....who cares if Metro is the first thing I see? Yes, I do spend a lot of time in Desktop but Chrome is my browser.

Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13" for me, orange please.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

I agree. I don't have it running now do to a software issue between McAfee Enterprise and Windows 8. However, once that is resolved, I'm going back to Win 8.

When I had it installed, I uninstalled (not just unpinned) all of the metro apps (Weather, Photos, games, etc, etc). So, any icons that I did pin to Metro would always open back on the desktop.

The keyboard I have is a Microsoft Pro Media Keyboard. On it, I have buttons to launch my Web Browser (Waterfox), E-Mail client (Thunderbird) and Messenger (Skype). It also has buttons for My Documents, My Music, and My Pictures folder. So to get to any of them, I don't have to use Metro.

For the apps that I run outside of that, I just have the tiles in Metro. I press the Windows Key on my keyboard, and then click the tile I want, and I go back to the desktop and into the applications.

Also for years I've been a heavy user of the other Window Key Shortcuts (Run, Explorer, Lock System, Search). So, if I want to run something, its always Windows Key + R. As long as those shortcuts still work in Win 8 (and so far, it looks like they do), then I won't have a problem.

However, I will say that when I first saw Metro, I was like WTF!!! What is Microsoft doing!

But then I actually took the time to sit down and look at it...figure it out, and spend time with the new user interface. While everyone is different, I think if people would spend a few minutes (or hours) with it, and approach it with an open mind, they will find it is not as bad as they think it is.

Sure, its a change, and a lot of people hate change. On the other hand, no one is putting a gun to your head and going "USE THIS AND BE HAPPY, OR I KILL YOU". Everyone has time to figure it out, play with it, research it, and customize it to fit their needs. For me, after I sat down with Windows 8, did some research on google, and this forum, and asked some questions, I was able to customize Metro to fit my needs just like I could in Windows 7.

Again, if McAfee Enterprise's current version ran on Windows 8 today, I will be there in a heartbeat.

--Brian

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
Not I!

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
I don't think I will be, my year is going to go getting the wife off windows xp to windows 7 this year. Then my mother.... that is going to be a trip!
SilentMan
join:2002-07-15
New York, NY

SilentMan to brianiscool

to brianiscool
I'm still using the Consumer preview version, but I will not buy the GA version. I don't see why the need to change from Win 7 to Win 8 and I hate the Metro bullshit.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to brianiscool

MVM

to brianiscool
For some time now I have been saying that Microsoft should allow the user to work the way they themselves want to work. In something of a customized environment of their own choosing. That is to say that I strongly believe that new Microsoft OSes should be able to mimic older version down to the smallest detail in addition to having a new interface option. Since Microsoft would have the right to do so there isn’t anything stopping them from a legal standpoint. In this way people could upgrade from an old MS OS to a new MS OS without any learning curve whatsoever.

However, in addition to new features, people have come to expect something new with respect to the interface. With the caveat that they want some new and different but not "too" new and different. It’s a fine line to walk.

Those who choose to stay with Windows 7 citing its many attributes are somewhat saying that Microsoft did their job with Windows 7 a little too well. Which is high praise indeed.

For what its worth, I use Windows 7, Windows 8, OS X (10.8.2), iOS 6, Android 4.x and WebOS.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

Microsoft should allow the user to work the way they themselves want to work.

It'd be easy to accomplish, if they offered basic Windows OS (kind of old and forgotten MiniWin, remember?) plus a separate desktop program (Windows Explorer, Metro, or may be even something different) at your chose I'll be in first lines, who will buy that

Separation desktop application form the Windows OS itself is the keyword here.
Kerodo
join:2004-05-08

Kerodo to brianiscool

to brianiscool
MS could easily make 8 configurable, for example, metro or no metro, but they aren't and won't, which is really what puts me off more than anything else. If I could turn off or remove metro entirely, I'd be the first in line to buy it (I bought 7 the day it was released). MS's attitude on the whole thing (force feeding metro and the ui to everyone) ensures that no, I will not be buying it at all... I am really surprised that so many people here are willing to accept and embrace 8, the compromise that it is.. Ah, well.....

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem

Premium Member

I will be, I like to stay on the latest version.

Besides, the new look is interesting.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to brianiscool

MVM

to brianiscool
I think in some ways an OS GUI is somewhat subjective. There are those that are willing to engage something new and those that are not.

To some extent it seems to me that Windows 8 metro is an affront to those who are already familiar with Windows and don’t like the idea of losing that familiarity by way of significant change in new versions of the OS. People new to computers and or Windows have no frame of reference and can therefore more easily accept it. Then there are those familiar with Windows already but are willing to accept change and go in new directions, therefore, taking knowledge of the old and the new.

I like this post:
said by armed:

I'm getting to old to learn new OS's (68) but I really like Win7 compared to Win XP. I'll see for myself if the wow factor for Win 8 is as good.

I like it because at some point it takes ownership of the issue that the OP may be unwilling to deal with something new in a new OS rather then attacking the OS itself.

I don’t think Windows 8 is inherently broken but I think there are a lot of people unwilling to learn or deal with new tricks. There are two basic things Microsoft knew they needed to maintain. One was backward compatibility (something lost in Windows RT) and the other was usability in the form of familiarity with the OS (something lost with metro).

Insight6
join:2012-08-25

Insight6 to brianiscool

to brianiscool
Windows 8 will be a bigger functional failure in replacing Windows 7 than that dog Windows Vista was in replacing Windows XP. And that's saying a lot when you view Vista in the big picture. In the big picture it was the biggest failure in MS history. Something a lot of people choose to either ignore or forget.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to Kerodo

Anon

to Kerodo
said by Kerodo:

MS could easily make 8 configurable, for example, metro or no metro, but they aren't and won't, which is really what puts me off more than anything else. If I could turn off or remove metro entirely, I'd be the first in line to buy it (I bought 7 the day it was released). MS's attitude on the whole thing (force feeding metro and the ui to everyone) ensures that no, I will not be buying it at all... I am really surprised that so many people here are willing to accept and embrace 8, the compromise that it is.. Ah, well.....

Again, there's no compromise. I can do more with Windows 8 than Windows 7.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
I am very likely to. This may be the last cheap upgrade offer to include XP, and as odd as it may sound, I find 8 less annoying than 7.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to brianiscool

MVM

to brianiscool
I'll be getting a Microsoft Surface as soon as I can get my hands on one and then getting a Pro version as soon as it comes out as well.

Blake

btB
@rr.com

btB to OZO

Anon

to OZO
said by OZO:

It'd be easy to accomplish, if they offered basic Windows OS (kind of old and forgotten MiniWin, remember?) plus a separate desktop program (Windows Explorer, Metro, or may be even something different) at your chose I'll be in first lines, who will buy that

Well, better start lining up then. Windows 8 is based on MinWin. The Desktop was then added in afterwards. So that is how Windows 8 is now a mobile OS with quicker boot time, quicker wakeup, better battery life etc.. Similarly if you take out Desktop, you have the equivalent of X86 WinRT. This of course means, that you cannot remove the WinRT portion of Windows 8 for Windows 9 or whatever.

As I keep saying. If you do not like the mobile OS portion and want to stay in Desktop, then just get Classic Shell or Start8. Then there will be absolutely no interface issues.

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show
join:2000-01-05
Lynn, MA

Madness to brianiscool

to brianiscool
I'm not wasting my money. I hate Metro & beyond that, don't see any benefits over W7.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

windows 98se is fast enough

Man...I'm still fooling around with 3.1 and Netscape...

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8

Anon

said by J E F F4:

said by Anonymous_:

windows 98se is fast enough

Man...I'm still fooling around with 3.1 and Netscape...

Until you start loading stuff that needs 512MB of RAM and more =)
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

1 edit

OZO to btB

Premium Member

to btB
said by btB :

As I keep saying. If you do not like the mobile OS portion and want to stay in Desktop, then just get Classic Shell or Start8. Then there will be absolutely no interface issues.

... or simply save money and use old Windows 7. Right?

If there is no any choice offered to me, why I'd want to buy a product, that I'm not going to use? And then I'd have to buy some third party program, that could fix it back to what we already have with Windows 7. This strategy seems strange to me...

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
I will wait until it's retail release and then play with it.

Ericthorn
It only hurts when I laugh
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
Paragould, AR

Ericthorn to Freddy

Premium Member

to Freddy
said by Freddy:

I plan to buy Windows 8, and also to get a touchscreen monitor. Please don't tell me that i don't need a trouchscreen to use Win8. I already know that. Maybe I just want to use touchscreen, as well as to use mouse and keyboard.

I'm doing the same thing. I'm buying an all in one touchscreen just for 8 to have around to play with, but by no means will it be my main machine. That is staying on 7 Ultimate.

kvn864
join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ

kvn864

Windows 8 is fine. Something new for us geeks to play with. People resent it because there are just too many changes, general mass dont like changes. Ill get my hands on retail version when it comes out and figure out if I want it or not. Was playing with preview, but for some reason it didnt go too far, even to get to device manager you have to scratch your ass at first. If you have 7 I dont see a reason to part with cash, if you have touch screen something then perhaps its a different story. Time will tell, I am not all for nor against it