Search similar:

uniqs
Glen T
join:2003-11-03
BC

Glen T to brianiscool

to brianiscool

Re: [WIN8] Who is buying Windows 8?

It comes down to mouse clicks. If I have to click through extra layers of OS to get to a usable desktop, or to get access to any other functions that I use on a daily basis, then Win8 becomes an impediment to how I work and a non-starter on my computers.

My computer is a tool. It is not my source of entertainment. I don't need extra distractions, like third parties pushing content into icons on what used to be my desktop. The time, the US $ exchange rate and the local temperature are all the info I need.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to OZO

Anon

to OZO
But you don't need to buy those 3rd party software. It works GREAT as it is.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Just wait until Windows 9 they will get rid of this terrible touch interface.
Kerodo
join:2004-05-08

Kerodo to RazzyW8

to RazzyW8
said by RazzyW8 :

Razzy, I'm a laptop user with no touch interface. Can you convince me or show me any reason whatsoever why I would want Metro, the start screen ui, or metro apps on my W8 laptop?

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to RazzyW8

MVM

to RazzyW8
said by RazzyW8 :

In addition to that, some of the third-party software is free is it not?
said by Kerodo:

said by RazzyW8 :

Razzy, I'm a laptop user with no touch interface. Can you convince me or show me any reason whatsoever why I would want Metro, the start screen ui, or metro apps on my W8 laptop?

What you want is subjective. The question is somewhat loaded.

For example, using different words I asked about the same question when I received one of those fraudulent calls about having a “virus on a Windows computer” (with respect to turning over control). Naturally there was no way I believed that this guy was from Microsoft and there was no way I was going to turn over control of my computer(s) but I messed with the guy long enough for him to get frustrated, utter an obscenity and hang up.

I laughed myself silly and wish I had recorded the whole thing,....
Expand your moderator at work

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to brianiscool

Anon

to brianiscool

Re: [WIN8] Who is buying Windows 8?

said by brianiscool:

Just wait until Windows 9 they will get rid of this terrible touch interface.

Windows 2012 Server has the same Start Screen.
RazzyW8

RazzyW8 to Kerodo

Anon

to Kerodo
Excuse me, I meant to ask, why do you want a small ugly looking start menu that it may disappear if you click out of it or some programs wants attention? Or when you try to nagivate through all these menu to System Tools and all of sudden it disappears and you'd have do it all over again? Kinda annoying if you ask me.

Nah, I'll stick with Start Screen.
Glen T
BC

Glen T to RazzyW8

to RazzyW8
said by RazzyW8 :

Seriously? The server has the same start screen as Windows 8 consumer versions??

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by Glen T:

said by RazzyW8 :

Seriously? The server has the same start screen as Windows 8 consumer versions??

Yes!
Glen T
BC

Glen T

Unbelievable! They are actually going to load the server version with a bunch irrelevant, possibly insecure, entertainment apps on the start screen.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen

Premium Member

said by Glen T:

Unbelievable! They are actually going to load the server version with a bunch irrelevant, possibly insecure, entertainment apps on the start screen.

No, the server version doesn't have the consumer apps on the Start Screen by default. If you want them they can be added if you enable the Desktop Experience.
Glen T
BC

Glen T

What do they put on the start screen on the server version by default?

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by Glen T:

What do they put on the start screen on the server version by default?

Windows Server 2012 Essentials: Screenshots
Glen T
BC

Glen T

At least that start screen looks vaguely useful...
Riamen
Premium Member
Calgary

Riamen to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
Those screenshots are for Server 2012 Essentials, Server 2012 Standard adds a totally revamped Server Manager to the Start Screen. If you make the server a domain controller, AD management tools are added to the start screen.
MrIcehouse
join:2006-02-07
Saint Petersburg, FL

MrIcehouse to brianiscool

to brianiscool
I'm using Windows 8 on an old laptop that came with XP, 8 is hands down faster than XP even when the laptop was new, I also have it dual boot on my desktop, Windows 7 and 8, 8 responds faster, sure there are new things to learn but I see no deal breaker with 8. With the laptop it's either single monitor or 2, the desktop it's 3 monitors. I have no issues. I guess all the negative posts are from people that have just seen the screen shots and haven't used it.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

See I agree with you there MrIcehouse See Profile. I was one of those Win8 "haters" when I first saw the screen shots of Metro with the Consumer Preview back in Feb.

But, when I installed the Release Preview, and actually sat down and used it, I actually found out that I liked it. As I said above, change may not be for everyone, but I feel if people approach it with an open mind, and are willing to see how it works, and understand it, you may end up liking it in the end.

--Brian
Kerodo
join:2004-05-08

Kerodo to MrIcehouse

to MrIcehouse
I think the negative posts are just from people who don't care for it. I used each release to date for a few weeks, but honestly, I simply see no need or use for metro, the start screen ui and apps. After using it for a while, every time I boot up, the first thing that comes to mind is, how do I push this metro stuff out of the way and get on with my daily work and needs. I don't so much mind the rearrangement of menus and lack of start menu, etc. There are many ways to do things. But I do mind that when I double click a PDF file, I get some idiotic full screen touch oriented app loading the PDF by default. Same with music etc. Sure, I can reconfigure those things, but why should I have to. I don't mind change either... in fact, I like change. But there's good and appropriate change, and there's bad and inappropriate change..

I guess my point and bottom line is, I think metro, the apps and ui etc are just inappropriate for a non-touch laptop or desktop. I want that stuff gone.... So my choice is to keep Win 7 for now.

Anyway, some like 8, some don't. That's pretty much how life is, right?
MrIcehouse
join:2006-02-07
Saint Petersburg, FL

MrIcehouse

One click after the boot and no more "modern" screen and straight to the desktop, I guess with 3 monitors it doesn't bother me one bit, even on the laptop when I just use 1 monitor the only thing missing is the start menu, but you can pin any programs you use to the task bar. You can't beat the speed either.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to Kerodo

Premium Member

to Kerodo
said by Kerodo:

But I do mind that when I double click a PDF file, I get some idiotic full screen touch oriented app loading the PDF by default. Same with music etc. Sure, I can reconfigure those things, but why should I have to. I don't mind change either... in fact, I like change. But there's good and appropriate change, and there's bad and inappropriate change..

Correct. If you uninstall (not just unpin) the metro apps, then Windows will default back to the non-metro apps for each. If you uninstall the Music and Video Apps (and do not install your own), Windows 8 goes back to using Windows Media Player. Uninstall the Picture app, and it goes back to using the Windows Photo Viewer. Uninstall the PDF Viewer, and install your own (Adobe Reader for example), windows will use that application to view PDF's, and not be inside of Metro.

But you are correct, you do have to take some action to return to how it was in Windows 7 for those applications. To some, that may be a big deal, and to others, not so much. In regards to PDF's, you always had to install something to view them, as windows did not have a program installed by default to do that (like notepad for reading text files for example). So, to me, installing Adobe Reader really is a bad example, except you do have to remove something to get it to work the same as you did in Windows 7.
said by Kerodo:

Anyway, some like 8, some don't. That's pretty much how life is, right?

I totally agree. You cannot please all the people all the time. There will always be a group of people who will hate or trash talk the new version of anything.

Personally, I have more respect to those that have made an effort and it still does not work for them, compared to those that just yell "Metro Sucks, I hate it", without even giving it a chance or trying to get it to work for them.

--Brian

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to brianiscool

MVM

to brianiscool
Pre-ordered my 64GB Surface today!!!!! Needless to say the site was more then just a bit busy, but I've got mine on its way!!!!

They already sold out of the 32GB version, but if your near a Microsoft store you might be able to score one on the 26th.

Blake

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to Glen T

Premium Member

to Glen T
said by Glen T:

said by RazzyW8 :

Yes, but it doesn't boot into metro like the windows 8 versions do. Atleast the RC that i had didn't.
Alcohol

Alcohol to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

Pre-ordered my 64GB Surface today!!!!! Needless to say the site was more then just a bit busy, but I've got mine on its way!!!!

They already sold out of the 32GB version, but if your near a Microsoft store you might be able to score one on the 26th.

Blake

That's what i plan on doing. Waiting for reviews then will pick it up from a msft store. Have a $25 gift card from losing the windows phone challenge.
Riamen
Premium Member
Calgary

1 edit

Riamen to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

Yes, but it doesn't boot into metro like the windows 8 versions do. Atleast the RC that i had didn't.

The RTM boots to Metro.

Edit: correction it does boot to desktop.

tahoejeff
Premium Member
join:2001-07-01
Wisconsin Dells, WI

tahoejeff to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
I didn't plan to, because I'm very happy with Win7.
But I just bought a nice HP laptop that ran Vista, but has a bad hard drive. I've been spending the last few days watching Ebay for a good deal on a copy of Win7 to install on it because I'm going to put in an SSD instead of a HDD. All of the Win7 auctions are going above $65 so far.

Tonight I found a deal on Amazon to pre-order Win8 Pro upgrade for only $40 after a promo. That's my trigger to try something new, and for much cheaper than the Win7 auctions I've been watching!

Another reason to run at least one copy of Win8 is to become familiar with it so I'm prepared when my customers need support on Win8.

Freddy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA

Freddy to Ericthorn

Premium Member

to Ericthorn
I've looked around on the Internet for a touchscreen monitor, and I've settled on the one from HP:

»www.provantage.com/hewle ··· 96J2.htm

It looks like the best deal available at this time.

Freddy
Gremeaunk49
join:2012-10-03
Toronto, ON

Gremeaunk49 to brianiscool

to brianiscool
Not me also!! Still satisfied with 7. But will try it later.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
Are you "buying" it if it ships with a new computer you happen to purchase? If so, I'm buying Windows 8. Otherwise, no, I'm not upgrading any Windows 7 machine to Windows 8.
Expand your moderator at work