join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to cypherstream

Re: Blue Ridge Cable

said by cypherstream:

There are other diagnostics pages that I didn't take a picture of, but all signs point to things being MPEG2. Though the Cisco 8652HDC should be capable of decoding MPEG4 and tuning up to 1 GHz. Though their SD (SA3200 / 2200) are only 870 MHz tuners with MPEG2 compatibility.

I have the Cisco 8652HDC and all the multi-screen premiums. For Internet I have 4 bonded downstream channels, channel 1 is at 891MHz

I took a quick look at the diag screens but did not find info on whether it was mpeg2/4, I can look again later.

said by cypherstream:

I just could not figure out if it was possible to do a 30 sec skip on the DVR. Didn't think it was possible, at least I couldn't figure it out.

I do not think most cable company DVRs allow 30 sec skip, they do not want problems with the content providers.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

4 edits

said by TheWiseGuy:

I do not think most cable company DVRs allow 30 sec skip, they do not want problems with the content providers.

Actually, many do...while the SA/Cisco DVR's, with either the SARA/Passport, or TWC Navigator do NOT, the following all do:

Motorola/I-guide; while it's NOT "hard coded" on the remotes, it's a "hidden feature" that can be enabled, similiar to the Tivo's:
»en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use···ond_Skip

The new Arris Gateway & Player 6-tuner DVR does, that some ops are now deploying:
»www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/_···UN11.pdf

Verizon's FiOS & AT&T U-verse DVR's do
Both DISH & DirecTV do, of course

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
reply to TheWiseGuy

It's under mpeg info I believe.

What system are you on? Your profile says Yonkers, NY. Is that Cablevision or do you also have a place in the Pocono's with Blue Ridge?

I wouldn't be surprised if they were 1GHz. The line gear is newer CCor stuff and all of the documentation online (now through Arris) states 1 GHz.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Click for full size
I just moved to Monroe county and have had Blue Ridge for about 6 months. I still have Cablevision in Yonkers but probably will not for much longer.

I attached a jpg of the mpeg screen. I'll look at both my silicon graphics diagnostics and the rest of the DVR diag screens tomorrow.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

Ah ok, I was up in Pike County. Interesting how they launch these things by county. I thought all of that region was broadcast from Stroudsburg.

I don't see anything concrete in that screen showing mpeg2 or 4. I swear I saw it somewhere. It might of been in one of the subpages of one of 8 cable card diagnostics screen. Cable card diagnostics are on any box with a cable card (HDC model designation).

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Sorry, I went through all the screens including the 9 CableCard screens and could not find anything.

I did notice that the bitrate on HBO and Showtime was well over 10mbps while the bitrate on HBO2 and another of the secondary premiums were below 6mbps with one of them at less than 3mbps.
--

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to motorola870

AMC Networks & Fuse are ALL still controlled by the Dolan empire

said by motorola870:

you do realize Rainbow networks has not existed under that name for a year now right? They are called AMC Networks now and Fuse was spun off to Madison Square Garden so they are now on a different contract set than AMC, IFC, We TV.

FYI - even though Fuse may have been "spun off" from the AMC Nets, it is STILL part of the Cablevision empire. Proof of this, & how they still have ties with each other, is the fact that Fuse has also now been restored on DISH, (which was dropped almost a year ago!) as part of a settlement with Cablevision - which restored ALL the AMC networks back on DISH.

»www.multichannel.com/distributio···t/139925

adkinsjm

join:2004-10-13
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
reply to cypherstream

Re: Blue Ridge Cable

Slight difference in HD locals up in Pike County, at least from Milford, as you get locals from NYC in HD.

Hope NBA TV HD finally gets added in the next few weeks.
--
Former Comcast, DIRECTV, DISH, iProvo, and UTOPIA subscriber. Now with Blue Ridge Communications.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

Yeah they get NYC and Scranton stations. I forget which ones are in HD, but both DMA's are in SD at least.

Thought maybe the office in Hawley injected the NY locals.

adkinsjm

Cuyahoga Falls, OH
reply to cypherstream

Anyone getting channel bonding with uploads?

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

1 edit

No channel bonding that I can see now that I'm back up in the Hawley system for the weekend. Still no premium HD's either! The only way to know they may be coming eventually is when you go into diagnostic mode you can direct tune them but it says not available at this time. It looks like they take you to 453 MHz or around there. On 2 tuner 8652HDC showed one tuner at 903 MHz at -15dB and the one at 400 MHz was like +9 dB so I don't think anything of value is broadcasted that high.

The modem is running on 117 MHz.
Downstream

DCID Freq Power SNR Modulation Octets Correcteds Uncorrectables
Downstream 1 122 117.00 MHz 2.90 dBmV 39.40 dB 256QAM 10490986644 70611 129
Reset FEC Counters
Upstream

UCID Freq Power Channel Type Symbol Rate Modulation
Upstream 1 3 30.10 MHz 43.75 dBmV DOCSIS1.x (TDMA) 2560 kSym/s 16QAM

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to cypherstream

My church has the SA WebSTAR DPC2100R2 modem and I was just taking a look at it's status page, and it's showing -12.5 dBmV Receive Power Level, 53.5 dBmV Transmit Power Level.

What's BRC's protocol for managing signal level such as this. As far as I know this is a direct line from the BRC box in our utility room.

I did a speed test using PTD's web test and got 4.04 Mbps down, 605 kbps up. I'm not sure whether we have the G10 or G5 package, do they over provision their product so we'd realistically get more than the upload speed provided by G5? Or does it seem that we have G10 but aren't getting the full advertised speeds?

(Used to my home internet from Cablevision which consistently over provisions)

adkinsjm

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

1 edit
reply to cypherstream

Lost downstream channel bonding in Stroudsburg. PTD support said bonding is now only for G30 and G50 pas.
--
Former Comcast, DIRECTV, DISH, iProvo, and UTOPIA subscriber. Now with Blue Ridge Communications.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

said by adkinsjm:

Lost downstream channel bonding in Stroudsburg. PTD support said bonding is now only for G30 and G50 pas.

HUH?

If the modem is D3 compliant it should bond if there are multiple channels there. Sure bonding only affects those speed tiers, but even if your not on that speed tier, the modem connects physically to multiple channels (if they exist). It's just throttled down to whatever package you pay for.

Even if you are on say 15 megs, channel bonding helps the network against contention from heavy users all pulling large downloads at the same time.

Like my modem with 12/1 through PTD.net over Service Electric Cablevision bonds to 4 downstream / 3 upstream. But my speeds are always consistent because the load is better managed into each node via the larger pipe serving customers.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA
reply to adkinsjm

Still have 4 Downstream channels bonded. Blue Ridge, E Stroud.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to adkinsjm

Do they have all the premiums in HD yet in Milford / Hawley area? I'm headed up there this weekend. Last time I was there they did not and also the modem wasn't bonded.

adkinsjm

Cuyahoga Falls, OH
reply to cypherstream

Must have been a glitch. Rebooted modem this morning and bonding was back.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

Well in the Hawley area they still don't seem to have channel bonding. It's one channel at 117 MHz.

While Passport Echo was updated to 3.7 since last time I was up here, the premium HD's are still not accessible! If I put the box I to diagnostic mode I can direct tune them, but get a new message now saying to update the box. In using a Cisco 8652 which is the latest (mpeg4, 1 Ghz tuning) so what else more do they want?

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to cypherstream

There is a new Auto-Tune HD option in the settings menu and I enabled it. The issue is that it doesn't work! If you tune to an SD channel, it does not switch to the HD equivalent.

I tried it on Passport Echo 3.7 Cisco 8652 and Passport 5.7 on Cisco 4652. Anyone know how to get this feature to work? They still tune the wrong channel numbers pretty frequently.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

Seems like its not configured.

Can a subscriber email Blue Ridge this link so they can learn how to configure HD Auto-Tune?
»www.rovicorp.com/ipgresources/ip···2310.pdf

I would email them but their website requires an acct number. I don't have my inlaws information.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

If you want to e-mail Blue Ridge Cable about the Auto-Tune to HD feature of Rovi Passport, the address is:
csr@brctv.com

I would suggest them to pass this on to engineering
HD Auto Tune Administrator’s Installation and Configuration Guide

Example of a real world working implementation - Cox cable

br0adbanddoc

join:2001-12-31
Wilkes Barre, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to cypherstream

Hrm, the problem is if they didn't purchase the HD Auto Tune license. If that's the case, you configuring it or them configuring it without the license won't do anyone any good.

This is what I added in my edit:

Plus as with all new features, its probably a good idea to test to ensure compatibility with all the varied types of set top boxes that might be in their plant.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

Wow they have to pay extra for a license for it? It sounded like it was just an added feature in Passport Echo 3.5 and up, just like the C button to show advertisements or the disk space bar in DVR list.

These companies (ROVI) nickle and dime everyone (like BRC) and its just astounding that a particular simple feature like auto tune HD could be a cost add option.

As far as testing, that's a given. I would look into creating a 'test hub' like hub id:99 or something and in Auto-Tune HD configure a new service map that only applies to hub id 99. Then grab an assortment of set tops and in the DNCS auth them to hub id 99 and play.

I think the bottom line is making HD more accessable and make the system easier to use. That way say your tuned to channel 2 on DirecTV HD box and channel 2 on a BRC HD box, both will look in pristine quality. Then you wouldn't have someone saying "CHANNEL 2 on DirecTV looks WAY better than CHANNEL 2 on cable!"

DirecTV and Dish use the same numbers for HD and it just keeps things simpler. I know so many people that never even make it up to channel 601 and up in the guide. Just from literally YEARS of habit they always start at channel 2 and browse. Seems to me like a waste of technology and any thing that could be done to make it better would be a pro in my opinion. It seems to work for Cablevision, Time Warner, Cox and Rogers. The new Xfinity X1 box also auto tunes the HD feed.

I think the best thing here is that the feature is selectable. If someone really doesn't like it they can disable it. That is different than how Cablevision did it with the SARA guide. I know they have a new look and I'm not sure if it still is non-user configurable or not.

br0adbanddoc

join:2001-12-31
Wilkes Barre, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

We're working on deploying 3.5 at the operator where I work and you're right, HD auto tune is going to make things so much easier for the end user.

Your other comment regarding making sure that its user configurable is a key point to ensure that customers can turn it on and off at their discretion.

captaink5217

join:2012-12-03
Kunkletown, PA

1 edit

I have directv with a genie dvr and I'm debating going back to brctv, my mother in law right next door has brctv and I was playing around with her hddvr 8652HDC, what you can do manually is go into settings and add all the sd duplicate channels to the skipped channel list then go into the guide settings and select custom guide, in there is an option to hide skipped channels once that is set then make sure you select always use and boom all those sd channels that were duplicates of hd channels are gone, they also no longer show up when you do a search either. Kind of a backwards way to accomplish this but it works. Anyone have an opinion I have about 10 mos left on my d contract I was gonna go down to the minimum package required which is family pack for 29.99 just to ride the rest of the contract out and switch over to brctv now or just wait til the contract is up?

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

Wait till the contract is up.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cypherstream

I was asking my sons x wife yesterday about blueridge and what it costs. Could she possible be correct when she said she pays 150 a month for internet and tv? Asked her what channels she gets for that. She said up to 122 or so. Im assuming she must be missing something as thats dam expensive in my eyes.

viper8828

join:2013-04-23
Lehighton, PA

2 edits
reply to cypherstream

were currently upgrading to 1ghz in that area, which should also bring 30 and 50 MBps internet speeds along with it- i believe its the last area because most customers are seasonal/maybe was just easier to update everything in the other areas first? im not 100% sure but it is being worked on. But im almost 100% sure the secondary premium HD channels (ch range 50-582) are in mpeg4 (im not sure what the regular hd [ch range 601-700 as of right now] are tho) and the Cisco boxes are the only ones capable of picking up that signal.

As far as the auto tune to hd, i was told they are working on that as well but at this point in the time the best option is to do the channel skip option (which at this point in time is only something you can do on the dvr because of the memory in the box)

viper8828

@ptd.net
reply to rody_44

im a rep for brc, not sure what area ure in but 2-98 (locals & espn,history,amc,discovery,etc) is about $65, full digital is $15.95, hd basic is $4, hd+ is 12.95, all premiums (hbo/max/sho/tmc/starz/encore) is 45.95, dvr 8.95, 2nd boxs 5.95, 5MBps hsi with 2-98 tv or higher is 37.95 (no tax on hsi), 10=42.95, 15=52.95 ---- so yes 150 could be possible depending on what all she has. Those all are normal rates though and of course we have discounts for packages, etc.

viper8828

@ptd.net
reply to captaink5217

we have great rates to come over but i think its usually like $10-20 you need to pay each month that ure still in a contract to them to break it so its up to you