Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

Foxtel decoding

I am wondering what is the best way to decode Foxtel streams?

Can I use the WD live box?
Do I need a computer (spares available) with a dedicated TV card?
I am looking at the cheapest and easiest way to keep the HD quality while being able to store my favorite shows outside of the internal HDD supplied in the iQ box.

Hopefully I'm not breaking copyright or anything similar?
Gather we being always behind in technology here someone here may have a setup that proven and tested for the quality of the video.

I realise this topic may suit other forums but for now it's research into hardware and the costs I need to look at for the project.

Note: Spare computers are not new gen Intel so Intel's HD decoding is not available to me as of this instance, but may in the future due to my main box is getting long in the tooth, so while it maybe an option and I'm happy for discussion on this point, I doubt it is my cheapest option either so would prefer to look at what I have already and minimum costs short term.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

From a look around these companies seem to be the best start at the project

»www.strong.com.au/DVR%20Range.html
»www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmen···.en.html
»www.avermedia.com/
»www.hauppauge.com/

Reading up suggests the HDMI won't work due to HDCP. So either I look at component or something similar. Elgato have a HDMI pass through device that will hook up to a computer. Hauppauge have the component side covered to keep the hi def specs of the video. Avermedia seems to be a good source for a solution too as well as Strong.

Anyone have options or views on any of these solutions or companies?
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke