trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

Audio Enhancement Software?

I've used DFX Audio Enhancer for some time and it's come to my attention that the kernel-mode driver that they use to create a virtual sound card to process all system sounds is seriously buggy crap. Whatever is wrong with it, the driver uses system resources very very badly in the sense that it causes CPU Interrupts per Second to be extremely high.

So I obviously uninstalled the buggy trash.

But, now I'm faced with finding another program that performs the basic functionality that DFX did, namely the enhancement of audio to help with the fact that MP3s are compressed and that because they are compressed they lose some of their fidelity.

I know, I can use uncompressed audio but these are bought MP3s that I've gotten from Amazon Music Store. No service that I know of has uncompressed audio that has connections to all of the major record labels.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

I don't have any personal recommendations but you could start with this google search:

audio enhancer for windows -dfx

Alternatively, do the built-in equalizers in players like winamp, iTunes, etc, not suffice?

steve1a
MVM
join:2001-05-07
Berkeley, CA

steve1a to trparky

MVM

to trparky
I agree I have a not so great experience with the DFX Enhancer with the latest build that adds it's wonky driver to the mix.
Ironically I have this love hate relationship going on with DFX over the years.
After disabling this latest "Enhancer" driver that I had upgraded to.

I still use another of their products: iDFX which enhnaces the individual tracks in my collection including Amazon purchases which can be automatically imported.
(Spoiler Alert):
The thing is that this is designed to work within iTunes.

Which is fine for me in that I use iTunes on my HTPC which works and sounds great especially with the eye candy of AlbumFlow on a big screen with surround sound.
I also synch & transfer my "enhanced" music to my iPod(s) &
iPad(s).

Once the track itself is enhance via iDFX the enhanced tracks can also be played in other media players like Windows Media player etc.

Kind of an ironic work around for sure but hey.

Bottomline it works at least for me.

Gavin5
join:2012-10-03
canada

Gavin5 to trparky

to trparky
You can try SoundPimp audio enhancer. Its the better one, i think so.
Gremeaunk49
join:2012-10-03
Toronto, ON

Gremeaunk49 to trparky

to trparky
I think you should give a try with Soundpimp. It works well.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Tried SRS, promptly uninstalled it. Another company that can't write Windows drivers that are worth a damn!

Winamp? I used to use Winamp, a long time ago. After AOL got their hands on it it really took a nosedive.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

said by trparky:

Winamp? I used to use Winamp, a long time ago. After AOL got their hands on it it really took a nosedive.

use the old winamp version 2.95, the last one before the significant change over.
there are a few plugins i use with it:
"Volume Logic" by Octiv, version 1.2
"AudioProc" version 1.83
"Sound Solution" version 1.31
"OctiMax" version 1.51
the one i like best is "AudioProc".
the reason why i posted the versions:
these versions were "free" (except "AudioProc"), newer versions of these are time limited trials that stop working after a few minutes.
i have no issues using all of the above on a win 7 64 bit system.