All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Frye
join:2012-10-13
Clovis, CA

Frye

[Business] Signing up for Business Class at residence?

I know that currently Residential class isn't data capped, but only while they're testing their tiers elsewhere. I don't want to be capped at all in the future (As we are not at the moment), and am looking into this.

However, I have some questions, and I hope you can help. I found some other topics, posted a while back, and I simply want up-to-date information.

Currently, we have DSL and Comcast Residential TV service. We are moving in a month, and want to switch from DSL to something better. Some have said that simply saying you have a home office works for getting them to install it. I want to be sure in case that has changed.

However, I understand that Residential TV cannot be combined with Business Class internet. They have Business TV on their site, but it seems different, and I don't know if you only get some channels with that.

We currently have our own router, and have multiple computers connected via Wi-Fi. I don't want this to change. I saw that »www.amazon.com/Motorola- ··· 04XC6GJ0 Was on their approved list, however, will I have any trouble getting it configured with our router? NAT issues as someone does play XBL? Also does Comcast fight with you over you using your own modem?

Another thing is this: It is in an apartment complex. I don't know if any issues will arise because of this.

Thanks in Advance

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

I don't think you need proof of being a business to get business class.

Business class is much pickier about modems. If you use DHCP, you can use your own modem, but may have to fight to do it, and won't save any money as the modem rental is either permanent or built into the price. If you want a fixed IP, you *MUST* use their crappy SMC gateway modem.

Just how much data do you use? At the moment, most areas are actually uncapped as Comcast tests out a few ideas in selected areas. Even when enabled, the caps will start at 300G, with higher plans possibly being higher.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to Frye

Premium Member

to Frye
I have business class installed at a residential address in an apartment, so that should not be a problem for you.

The default modem that is supplied by Comcast for business class service is the SMCD3G or SMC8014 gateway, and its NAT implementation is not very good. If you need a static IPv4 address (or addresses), you must use the Comcast supplied SMC gateway (but with static IP addresses you don't need to use the SMC's rather poor NAT implementation). If you can use dynamic IP addresses (business class accounts get up to 5 dynamic IP addresses), you can either use the Comcast supplied gateway as a gateway router, or have it put into bridge mode (not all CSRs know how to put it into bridge mode, but if you persist, you can get it done). You can also use your own SB612x modem (Comcast does not seem to be willing to supply a leased SB612x modem). I currently use the SB6121 modem, and I had no problems getting it activated.

I also have residential Xfinity TV service instead of the Comcast Business Class TV service, so that should also not be a problem. However, you will not be able to get any kind of bundle deal if your TV service is Xfinity residential and your HSI is Comcast Business Class.

In this area, the Comcast Business Class starter plan (currently 16/3 mbps) is about the same price as the equivalent Xfinity residential plan, but the higher speed tiers are progressively more expensive than the equivalent Xfinity residential plans. There is also a 1-3 year contract requirement, and a $50-$200 install fee (depending on the length of the contract). Some have reported being able to get the install fee waived, but don't count on it.

The biggest plus for Comcast Business Class that I have seen is not the lack of a bandwidth cap, but that the speed and quality of customer service is a notch above what is often supplied for Xfinity residential service. Of course, YMMV.
d0ogie
join:2003-10-07
Bellevue, WA

d0ogie

Yes - what NetFixer said. I can vouch for everything - including the stellar support/availability (have literally had techs out at 3am), all the way to the D3G not being a great NAT device. No matter, get something you like and put it behind the D3G.

I too have had the service in a condo/apartment in the past and now at my house.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
said by andyross:

Business class is much pickier about modems. If you use DHCP, you can use your own modem, but may have to fight to do it, and won't save any money as the modem rental is either permanent or built into the price. If you want a fixed IP, you *MUST* use their crappy SMC gateway modem.

I don't believe any gateway rental fee is built in or permanently charged. If charged, I believe it will appear as a separate line item.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

ArrayList to Frye

Premium Member

to Frye
I had comcast residential internet service for 2 years before I switched to business class. I don't think anything really changed on my setup when they installed business class. I still have the same modem, a Motorola SB 6120. I had ipv6 on residential and still have it on business class. My IPv4 & IPv6 addresses never changed either.
Frye
Clovis, CA

Frye

I noticed when signing up online, It automatically filled in the business name with the apartment complex name without me doing anything but putting the address. I wonder if this will cause complications?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by Frye:

I noticed when signing up online, It automatically filled in the business name with the apartment complex name without me doing anything but putting the address. I wonder if this will cause complications?

I doubt it, my "business name" is my name
Kiwi88
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Bryant, AR

1 recommendation

Kiwi88

Premium Member

Be careful, I upgraded to business class in order to avoid a week at a time of downtime, I have always maintained I don't care what I pay for internet service (since 1983, openly stated on forums), but I do want reliability. Changing to business class had the same headaches as residential; it seems the only difference between residential and business is no cap (which has no impact on me) and the so called 4hr response time, I have barely had service since Oct 4th, that might well be a good indicator of general service response.

Head office thinks that the contractual 4hr hour response time , really means 72 hrs; but does not mean you get a conclusion to any problems. I also thought there was a dedicated business line [NODE]-THERE IS NOT, it works off the same NODE as residential, the only significant difference is what was alluded to further up, response time -Which I have found meaningless.

Cheers

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

At least in my area, I've found the response time to be terrific. On a number of occasions I've had techs out within 4 hours of a call. I'm sure it varies by area, but in my particular area it's been great for the last 2.5 years.
rmdir
join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL

rmdir

I live in a condo too and getting business class was not an issue. The couple of times I've called due to speed issues they did the diagnostics they could, and followed up to make sure I was satisfied. We lost power and service a few years ago here in Chicago due to some really bad wind/tstorms. I stayed with a buddy since power was out. The whole building had no cable, and they told me they'd been calling for 2 days with no resolution. I called business tech support and they rolled a truck and we all got service back that same day.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to Kiwi88

Premium Member

to Kiwi88
said by Kiwi88:

Head office thinks that the contractual 4hr hour response time , really means 72 hrs; but does not mean you get a conclusion to any problems. I also thought there was a dedicated business line [NODE]-THERE IS NOT, it works off the same NODE as residential, the only significant difference is what was alluded to further up, response time -Which I have found meaningless.

Cheers

Your misunderstanding about separate infrastructure for business class service was just that, your misunderstanding. I have never seen or heard any inference that Comcast Business Class had its own infrastructure (except of course for their Enterprise level services which don't use HFC).

When you need support, are you calling the Comcast Business Class phone number 800-391-3000, or are you just calling 800-COMCAST? When I have called the official business class number for support, I have always been directly connected to a business class CSR. I have have also never had to wait longer than a couple of hours (unless I needed to have a specific scheduled time) for a tech to arrive when a site visit was required. I don't know what is going on in your area, or with your connection, but what you describe is not the normal situation for me (and probably not for most Comcast Business Class customers).
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

There have been threads, and I've experienced it personally, that when calling after hours you might get a slightly different experience. I'm wording that vaguely because I don't know for sure exactly the hand-off, but I can say I personally try to call during more traditional business hours.
Frye
Clovis, CA

Frye

So, seeing as I can have Residential TV and Business internet in the same place, I think I will be doing that. I also think I will be ordering my own SB6121 instead of Comcast's SMC. Is there anything I should know about the 6121?

Also, I heard the contracts auto-renew. Still the case?

I'm still a bit worried about it listing the Apartment Complex's name as my business, though. Hope it doesn't cause any problems.

Looking forward to getting better than DSL 5mbit/600kbit.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Your apartment complex should not be the name of your business, when you talk to your representative have them change it to the name of the business or your name if personal.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer to Frye

Premium Member

to Frye
said by Frye:

So, seeing as I can have Residential TV and Business internet in the same place, I think I will be doing that. I also think I will be ordering my own SB6121 instead of Comcast's SMC. Is there anything I should know about the 6121?

Also, I heard the contracts auto-renew. Still the case?

I'm still a bit worried about it listing the Apartment Complex's name as my business, though. Hope it doesn't cause any problems.

Looking forward to getting better than DSL 5mbit/600kbit.

Some users have reported that the current SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.6-SCM00-NOSH firmware in the SB612x modems causes intermittent connection problems if your connection is marginal, but I have not seen that symptom in my SB6121 (but then again, I don't have a marginal connection, and that is something that the install tech is supposed to make sure is not the case for new business class installs).

To my knowledge, all business class contracts auto renew for a one year period unless you give notice 30 days prior to the current contract end date that you do not wish to renew the contract.

I don't see how having the apartment complex's name listed as the business name on your Comcast Business Class account would cause any more problems than it causes multiple John Jones customers. You will have a unique account number, a unique address with your apartment number, and a unique telephone number associated with your account. So even if the apartment itself has Comcast Business Class service, there really should be no confusion (especially now that Comcast has started insisting that you identify yourself by providing the account number when calling billing or support. Having said that, I would personally get the business name changed to my own name before signing the contract (just in case the apartment complex owners find out and object to you using their business name).
Frye
Clovis, CA

Frye

Hmm. Alright, I'll see that they change the business name first.

For the SB6121, it should just be plug-n-go, pretty much I assume? I have my router (Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH w/OpenWRT) which I use at the moment. Any special configurations I will have to do?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Frye:

Hmm. Alright, I'll see that they change the business name first.

For the SB6121, it should just be plug-n-go, pretty much I assume? I have my router (Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH w/OpenWRT) which I use at the moment. Any special configurations I will have to do?

If your router's WAN interface (and any other devices that are connected to the SB6121 through a switch instead of being behind your router) are setup to use DHCP, then yes, the SB6121 should be plug and play (although you may want to occasionally check the stats to make sure that there are no connection problems brewing).

You also may need to manually setup your Buffalo router's IPv6 settings (assuming that it supports IPv6). Some routers will work OK with Comcast's native IPv6 implementation using an "auto-detect" setting, and others (like my Netgear WNR1000v2-VC which also runs OpenWRT) need to have their IPv6 mode set to "DHCP".
Frye
Clovis, CA

1 recommendation

Frye

Good to know Trying to get all the information I can now so I'm not pulling out my hair later, hah. I thank you for being so helpful.

I think my router supports IPv6, however I can't find anything on it (Some posts on buffalo's forums say it works with DD-WRT but nothing on Open). OpenWRT's IPv6 setup process on their wiki confuses me quite a bit, so I haven't bothered with it.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to Frye

to Frye
I would also suggest to overlap your internet connections [keep dsl connected] for now and try it out to your satisfaction...

If it works out for you, then cut your dsl after maybe a month or a week prior to you next billing date.

But I bet you, you WILL cut that DSL connection soon...I did!
rmdir
join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL

rmdir

You get a 30 day MBG just like residential. Once I confirmed mine was up to speed and stable, I dropper UVerse.
Frye
Clovis, CA

1 recommendation

Frye

I don't think I can keep my current DSL at the new place. I'll see, but I was told before DSL doesn't work right there. If things do go wrong and I need net access to troubleshoot, I have my phone to tether off of.

Any advice on that IPv6 situation?
Kiwi88
Premium Member
Bryant, AR

Kiwi88 to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
Intended to respond sooner, a wee bit of a problem, however my misunderstanding of business class was definitely different than that conceived, meaning? Residential is half the cost and business twice the cost, so what would one anticipate paying for service? $89.00 for residential and $189.00 for business 50/10. It was a shock to realize that caps is the only part of the picture, any other 'business' anything I have ever had in a long life, had a separate and elite service to 'residential' that stood out. There is nothing apparently separate but billing and caps. The part that kicked my arse is that I was lied to by Comcast stating I could not get 50/10 residential; however on returning the residential modem -They laughed, "Of course you can."

I don't know the Comcast infrastructure, but a nonchalant attitude to 7 days down on residential is what I was attempting to avoid, however business class was installed 10/09 and I actually got service 10/16; I don't count 1-3 hours up as service. Generally speaking download held on averaging 32/ to 42/ but upload averaged /.75 to /3.75, when service worked at all. This is indicative of a response to a business line(?)

Almost got over it as service has been consistent for 3 days, then I got the bill for $310.29 today. Not to be confused with an expectation to pay as serviced, however 3 days for that price is very heady on a good day. I have kept running records of daily service speeds and if it stays where it is, I'm good. However based on the service to date, there better be a credit on the account.

I feel gypped.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

I'm not sure why you replied to me with your unpleasant experience with getting business class installed, because I am not a Comcast employee, and there is nothing I can do about it.

It sounds as if it may have been less than the 30 days you are allowed to tell Comcast that you are not satisfied with the service and cancel the service with all charges reversed and with no ETF.

If you do that, you can then have residential HSI reinstalled (probably a self install with no installation charge), or you can look for another ISP.
Kiwi88
Premium Member
Bryant, AR

Kiwi88

Premium Member

I could not reply to your comment, to me, at an earlier time., that simple. It's relevant that those looking for business class understand that there is not a difference in service, aside caps and the bill. For some, that's an importanr FACT.

There other advantages, but they are SEPERATE and billed extra's.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Kiwi88:

I could not reply to your comment, to me, at an earlier time., that simple. It's relevant that those looking for business class understand that there is not a difference in service, aside caps and the bill. For some, that's an importanr FACT.

There other advantages, but they are SEPERATE and billed extra's.

OK, after doing some searching, I found the post I made to which you are referring. However, it appears that you also may have a misunderstanding about how on-line forums (and conversations in general) work as well as a misunderstanding about Comcast Business Class service, because that is not the post to which you replied. When you say apples but you mean oranges, then you are the only person who has a clue about what you are saying.
Kiwi88
Premium Member
Bryant, AR

Kiwi88

Premium Member

To far off point at this time, the essence of the reply was based on the topic point at the beginning, then I replied to your comment to me, the reference you allude to is your issue; I have a problem with apples and oranges?

I'm talking broadband and service, what are you talking about. I was around, just like you, in 1983 @ this end, I understand the difference between dollars and service. SDLS was $89.00 a month for six years prior to Comcast, 1G/1G and no complaints at all, one period of 2hrs down in that time and a few power downs that everybody suffered.

It's pretty easy, want to satisfy shareholders, keep customers happy? Service customers! -Hardly gets easier than that, then those unsubstantiated increases don't matter so much; provided you are dealing with paying customers and not freeloaders.

Apples and Oranges, I got a plantation in Arizona with seaside views, sorry; I don't do well with analogies; when the topic is Broadband......

Don't reply and quote me, then act like I'm off topic.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Kiwi88:

To far off point at this time, the essence of the reply was based on the topic point at the beginning, then I replied to your comment to me, the reference you allude to is your issue; I have a problem with apples and oranges?

I'm talking broadband and service, what are you talking about. I was around, just like you, in 1983 @ this end, I understand the difference between dollars and service. SDLS was $89.00 a month for six years prior to Comcast, 1G/1G and no complaints at all, one period of 2hrs down in that time and a few power downs that everybody suffered.

It's pretty easy, want to satisfy shareholders, keep customers happy? Service customers! -Hardly gets easier than that, then those unsubstantiated increases don't matter so much; provided you are dealing with paying customers and not freeloaders.

Apples and Oranges, I got a plantation in Arizona with seaside views, sorry; I don't do well with analogies; when the topic is Broadband......

Don't reply and quote me, then act like I'm off topic.

My point was and is that if you want to post a general comment to all in this (or any) thread, then it would avoid confusion to post your comments to the thread, and not to me. I did not sell you the service that you find unsatisfactory, and I did not make the decision to purchase that service. If you address a post to me, I will certainly reply (even if only to tell you that you have apparently mistakenly directed your comments in the wrong direction).
Kiwi88
Premium Member
Bryant, AR

Kiwi88

Premium Member

The original post was never intended for you, I simply replied to you quoting me, it's not about you or other comments you posted.

The post was simply a warning and I still believe that residential will satisfy even business clients, based on what I now know; however for tax purposes that may present a different front. So, lets stick to broadband, eh. I have no interest in analogies.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

2 edits

Sunny to Frye

to Frye

Note to all

Please keep further comments confined to the thread topic.

TIA,
sorto'

P.S. More info here about how to post on this site to avoid confusion. »Site FAQ »How do I post?