how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rmdir

join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL
reply to medbuyer

Re: [Business] Signing up for Business Class at residence?

You get a 30 day MBG just like residential. Once I confirmed mine was up to speed and stable, I dropper UVerse.

Frye

join:2012-10-13
Clovis, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Frye

I don't think I can keep my current DSL at the new place. I'll see, but I was told before DSL doesn't work right there. If things do go wrong and I need net access to troubleshoot, I have my phone to tether off of.

Any advice on that IPv6 situation?

Kiwi
Premium
join:2003-05-26
USA/MidWest
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
reply to NetFixer

Intended to respond sooner, a wee bit of a problem, however my misunderstanding of business class was definitely different than that conceived, meaning? Residential is half the cost and business twice the cost, so what would one anticipate paying for service? $89.00 for residential and $189.00 for business 50/10. It was a shock to realize that caps is the only part of the picture, any other 'business' anything I have ever had in a long life, had a separate and elite service to 'residential' that stood out. There is nothing apparently separate but billing and caps. The part that kicked my arse is that I was lied to by Comcast stating I could not get 50/10 residential; however on returning the residential modem -They laughed, "Of course you can."

I don't know the Comcast infrastructure, but a nonchalant attitude to 7 days down on residential is what I was attempting to avoid, however business class was installed 10/09 and I actually got service 10/16; I don't count 1-3 hours up as service. Generally speaking download held on averaging 32/ to 42/ but upload averaged /.75 to /3.75, when service worked at all. This is indicative of a response to a business line(?)

Almost got over it as service has been consistent for 3 days, then I got the bill for $310.29 today. Not to be confused with an expectation to pay as serviced, however 3 days for that price is very heady on a good day. I have kept running records of daily service speeds and if it stays where it is, I'm good. However based on the service to date, there better be a credit on the account.

I feel gypped.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 edit

I'm not sure why you replied to me with your unpleasant experience with getting business class installed, because I am not a Comcast employee, and there is nothing I can do about it.

It sounds as if it may have been less than the 30 days you are allowed to tell Comcast that you are not satisfied with the service and cancel the service with all charges reversed and with no ETF.

If you do that, you can then have residential HSI reinstalled (probably a self install with no installation charge), or you can look for another ISP.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Kiwi
Premium
USA/MidWest
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

I could not reply to your comment, to me, at an earlier time., that simple. It's relevant that those looking for business class understand that there is not a difference in service, aside caps and the bill. For some, that's an importanr FACT.

There other advantages, but they are SEPERATE and billed extra's.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by Kiwi:

I could not reply to your comment, to me, at an earlier time., that simple. It's relevant that those looking for business class understand that there is not a difference in service, aside caps and the bill. For some, that's an importanr FACT.

There other advantages, but they are SEPERATE and billed extra's.

OK, after doing some searching, I found the post I made to which you are referring. However, it appears that you also may have a misunderstanding about how on-line forums (and conversations in general) work as well as a misunderstanding about Comcast Business Class service, because that is not the post to which you replied. When you say apples but you mean oranges, then you are the only person who has a clue about what you are saying.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Kiwi
Premium
USA/MidWest
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

To far off point at this time, the essence of the reply was based on the topic point at the beginning, then I replied to your comment to me, the reference you allude to is your issue; I have a problem with apples and oranges?

I'm talking broadband and service, what are you talking about. I was around, just like you, in 1983 @ this end, I understand the difference between dollars and service. SDLS was $89.00 a month for six years prior to Comcast, 1G/1G and no complaints at all, one period of 2hrs down in that time and a few power downs that everybody suffered.

It's pretty easy, want to satisfy shareholders, keep customers happy? Service customers! -Hardly gets easier than that, then those unsubstantiated increases don't matter so much; provided you are dealing with paying customers and not freeloaders.

Apples and Oranges, I got a plantation in Arizona with seaside views, sorry; I don't do well with analogies; when the topic is Broadband......

Don't reply and quote me, then act like I'm off topic.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 edit

said by Kiwi:

To far off point at this time, the essence of the reply was based on the topic point at the beginning, then I replied to your comment to me, the reference you allude to is your issue; I have a problem with apples and oranges?

I'm talking broadband and service, what are you talking about. I was around, just like you, in 1983 @ this end, I understand the difference between dollars and service. SDLS was $89.00 a month for six years prior to Comcast, 1G/1G and no complaints at all, one period of 2hrs down in that time and a few power downs that everybody suffered.

It's pretty easy, want to satisfy shareholders, keep customers happy? Service customers! -Hardly gets easier than that, then those unsubstantiated increases don't matter so much; provided you are dealing with paying customers and not freeloaders.

Apples and Oranges, I got a plantation in Arizona with seaside views, sorry; I don't do well with analogies; when the topic is Broadband......

Don't reply and quote me, then act like I'm off topic.

My point was and is that if you want to post a general comment to all in this (or any) thread, then it would avoid confusion to post your comments to the thread, and not to me. I did not sell you the service that you find unsatisfactory, and I did not make the decision to purchase that service. If you address a post to me, I will certainly reply (even if only to tell you that you have apparently mistakenly directed your comments in the wrong direction).

--

Kiwi
Premium
USA/MidWest
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

The original post was never intended for you, I simply replied to you quoting me, it's not about you or other comments you posted.

The post was simply a warning and I still believe that residential will satisfy even business clients, based on what I now know; however for tax purposes that may present a different front. So, lets stick to broadband, eh. I have no interest in analogies.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

2 edits
reply to Frye

Note to all

Please keep further comments confined to the thread topic.

TIA,
sorto'

P.S. More info here about how to post on this site to avoid confusion. »Site FAQ »How do I post?

--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to Kiwi

Re: [Business] Signing up for Business Class at residence?

said by Kiwi:

I also thought there was a dedicated business line [NODE]-THERE IS NOT, it works off the same NODE as residential, the only significant difference is what was alluded to further up, response time -Which I have found meaningless.

Cheers

just curious...

who gave you this thought?

muranternet

join:2009-10-19
Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to Frye

Grunch due to topic wander:

Home office or self-business is fine. You just need a name for the business.

Business TV is different as it's meant for business sites and cannot be purchased. Residential TV cannot be bundled to a business HSI account.

I am *FINALLY* getting a Moto SB6121 modem provisioned tonight in order to avoid the double NAT issue. The DOCSIS 2 8014 can be put into RG 0 mode (layer 2 modem functions only) with a lot of badgering, but the DOCSIS 3 SMCD3G cannot AFAIK. You're better off using a 6121 and avoiding rental fees anyway.

I don't think the fact that you are in an apartment would matter unless the whole building has crappy wiring.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Frye

I just have residential Internet. I just updated two Macs to OSX Mountain Lion and mom plays a lot of online games on the computer. I also updated iOS on my iPad and iPhone. As of the 11th of the month, I've used 23 GB of data (when I checked this evening).

I have the extreme 105 Internet and I am happy with it.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Frye

said by Frye:

So, seeing as I can have Residential TV and Business internet in the same place, I think I will be doing that. I also think I will be ordering my own SB6121 instead of Comcast's SMC. Is there anything I should know about the 6121?

Also, I heard the contracts auto-renew. Still the case?

I'm still a bit worried about it listing the Apartment Complex's name as my business, though. Hope it doesn't cause any problems.

Looking forward to getting better than DSL 5mbit/600kbit.

Don't worry about it. Actually try not to even put your name that way if you break the contract they can't really come after you. If they have an issue when the process the order, correct it at that point.

As for the modem I recommend you just lease a regular modem. If you buy it, you bet they will blame any connectivity issues on the modem. They'll install the SMC no doubt. You can either take it and just call 800-COMCAST and request they swap it, or refuse the install and tell them to take the SMC, then the sales rep will make sure they install you a modem.
--
PRescott7-2097

cybah

join:2000-03-09
Chelsea, MA

1 recommendation

I manage a large Comcast account for the company I work for. We're a non profit which runs group homes for people with mental and developmental disabilities. We have over 600 Comcast Cable Internet connections out in at our sites across New England. (Comcast is our default internet provider).

We have both a mix of Residential and Business Class Service. You can't have residential service installed at a business address (i.e. a store front or office park) but you can have Business Class installed at a residential address (like a house or apartment complex).

We don't use any of the additional features that you get with Business Class (free website, exchange email ,etc). We just get it because we can get static IPS, and the repair response is better (Most service calls happen same day or next business day). They seem to pay better attention to you if you have business class, plus you get a separate support number to call that actually have people who know what their doing.

And whoever is telling you to make up a fake company name. Uh yeah no. That's fraud. You can order Business Class service in your name (with your SS#) OR you can use your business name and your federal tax ID. They require it for all Biz Class service.

And yes rent the modem, as they really frown upon bring your own modem. Plus if it breaks, a tech can bring one to you same day (vs Residential where you go to an office and swap it out or wait 4 weeks for a tech to come)

There's also a way to over come the dual nat issue with the SMC. Its just a bit tricky to setup BUT isnt a true "bridge" like their residential modems, it just acts like one. BUT we've never had any problems with setting this up and making applications we want to work, will work.

And no, it isn't off the same node as residential. I have one site that has residential service (because that's what the consumer (of my company's services) wanted.. he wanted it in his own name, with his own connection, and cable box.) BUT in the office at that site, we have business class.

It comes off the same wiring from the street (actually Comcast brought in a dedicated RG66 from the street to the biz class modem direct because the existing wiring was not up to snuff), but the head end it is attached to is entirely different. (residential says IP is served from Lynn, MA, Business Class says Cambridge, MA). Also Different QAM channels, different frequencies, different up/down speeds. I've had an occasion where the residential service at that site was rediculously slow, but the biz class was speedy. I assume this is because they have less users per headend on Biz Class.

As far as TV, they give you 'basic' tv for free with every BizClass account (basically ONE DTA adapter) Anything else you have to order on top of this. (whoever said you couldn't get TV or residential tv services was wrong.. its the same channel line up, same channels as you would for residential, the pricing is bit different. its nothing "designed" for business, except I think the 'basic' tv includes a couple of additional channels beyond 2-18, like MSNBC, Bloomberg, CNN, CSPAN...

Overall we're happy with our BizClass service. We have a few sites that constantly have issues but I thin it more has to do with the wiring in the building itself, and we're working with Comcast to fix that (Comcast with BizClass does assist with internal wiring, whereas with residential they don't). But overall we're happy.

csiemers

join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
·VOIPO

said by cybah:

As far as TV, they give you 'basic' tv for free with every BizClass account (basically ONE DTA adapter) Anything else you have to order on top of this. (whoever said you couldn't get TV or residential tv services was wrong.. its the same channel line up, same channels as you would for residential, the pricing is bit different. its nothing "designed" for business, except I think the 'basic' tv includes a couple of additional channels beyond 2-18, like MSNBC, Bloomberg, CNN, CSPAN...

There is no "basic tv" on my connection with my residential business account with Comcast. When asked, they refused to let me have TV unless I went to the Residential side of Comcast and ordered it. So no, not everyone gets business tv with a Comcast residential business account.
--
»www.caryontech.com

cybah

join:2000-03-09
Chelsea, MA

It must be a regional thing.. because ALL our residential sites that have business class have TV and it doesn't cost us extra. I wouldn't be surprised, Comcast usually doesn't know what the other hand is doing half the time.