uniqs

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to TuxRaiderPen2

to TuxRaiderPen2

Re: Bad Linux Politics

said by TuxRaiderPen2:

We just want our hardware to work. nVidia is willing to do so, so support it!

This is plain and simply linunx illumanti trying to force a change in something that nVidia has told them, ITS NOT HAPPENING.

Sounds one-sided to me. It's nVidia's drivers. They are the only ones who can make their software work. I don't see nVidia cooperating in this; just making demands.

I don't see Windows changing Windows for nVidia's sake (Microsoft publishes a hardware compatibility guide).

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

TuxRaiderPen2

said by howardfine:
Sounds one-sided to me. It's nVidia's drivers. They are the only ones who can make their software work. I don't see nVidia cooperating in this; just making demands.
Who's making a demand of whom? ? ? ?? ? ??

nVidia is making a request.

LK is DEMANDING they open source. nVidia has stated, Not happening. This tactic is tired, its old, and its a holdback, a HUGE HOLD BACK to Linux adoption on a wider scale.

Jane User, doesn't care if the software is open source. Thats maybe at best 2-3%. Open source has nothing, Zero, ZILCH, NADDA to do with my use of Linux.

What does?

F R E E.

Thats right free software v. $300/per machine for productivity software, v. $100-300/machine for upgrdes of OS....

The majority of desktop users corporate or personal don't care if the source code is avaialble. Program runs and works to do their task, period. Can they file a problem report and does the author/developer/maintiner(s) correct said issue? Theres the two metrics that matter. Nothing else. A small minority of corporate users might have the staff to handle fixing a problem or adding a feature. I may have the COBOL source to my CAD progam, does not mean I am going to go in and fix an issue or add features. First I don't have the time with other projects going. Second, thats what the $12K/month I pay in support is for. Thats right $12K/per month.

This if its not open source its not useful metric is out of date and touch, and a HUGE HOLDBACK to LINUX ADOPTION coporate or personal.

But then again maybe thats the whole point... too many here and elsewhere don't want to push Linux to wider adoption. I want ms off the desktop and out of OS business, period.I want Linux on servers, desktops, laptops and any where else it can go, which is pretty much anywhere.

The ONLY people making DEMANDS is the LK developers who are holding users hostage with this unrealstic DEMAND. nVidia made a request...

The majority, and mostly silent majority of users do not care about open source. Only that their hardware works, their programs run etc.. Thats it. The sooner this is accepted in the Linux illumanti circle the better.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

2 recommendations

dave

Premium Member

Well, there you are. You are unhappy because you want software that costs $0, and yet you've decided to use software that is produced by people whose first consideration is to facilitate open-source software. Seems like a basic requirements mismatch to me, but shouting at the open-source suppliers "I want $0 above all else" isn't likely to get results any different than shouting the same at proprietary software vendors.
mich64
join:2008-08-30

2 edits

mich64 to TuxRaiderPen2

to TuxRaiderPen2
You seem to not understand that there are two kinds of people who develop Linux: those who are paid for it and those who do it to for the fun of developing good open source software (often for their own use).

Your demand for unpaid support for closed third-party software is something neither of these groups particularly cares about.

/*EDIT*/
Well, I missed the third kind, i.e. people like RMS who develop free software for free because they want everybody to use free software. Guess what? They don't give a fsck about NVIDIA drivers as well.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to TuxRaiderPen2

to TuxRaiderPen2
said by TuxRaiderPen2:

The majority of desktop users corporate or personal don't care if the source code is available.

Which is why they use windows.

The fact is, the linux kernal is licensed under the GPLv2. What nvida is trying to do is against that license. I personally do wish they could get optimus working like they want to, but the license is written how it is. We have to work with what we have. I cannot blame nvid for not wanting to open source their drivers, nor can I blame the LK people for wanting the license to be fallowed. Rock and a hard place if you will.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by me1212:

said by TuxRaiderPen2:

The majority of desktop users corporate or personal don't care if the source code is available.

Which is why they use windows.

The fact is, the linux kernal is licensed under the GPLv2. What nvida is trying to do is against that license. I personally do wish they could get optimus working like they want to, but the license is written how it is. We have to work with what we have. I cannot blame nvid for not wanting to open source their drivers, nor can I blame the LK people for wanting the license to be fallowed. Rock and a hard place if you will.

That's not what is happening. There is plenty of resource in this thread to learn from.