Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

to FiReSTaRT

Re: High proportion of packet errors over wireless network

Wiring a laptop to Ethernet is just... silly. I agree you'd never want to hook up an ATA over a wireless connection like that, though.

The best thing would be to try channel 8. There's nothing else on the site survey that should cause issues so terrible as to produce the same results above on that channel, so he'd most likely be okay. I'd also invest in upgrading to an 802.11N AP (like the M10 I mentioned earlier, so long as it's V1 it'll run Tomato or DD-WRT just fine) or, even better, something dualband like an E4200 and plan to move to 5GHz in the not-too-distant future in case things get back on even 8.

Interference on 2.4GHz is a fact of life, nothing you can do about it. It doesn't mean you should do something so dumb as dragging a 100 foot Ethernet cable with your laptop around your home.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

said by Gone:

It doesn't mean you should do something so dumb as dragging a 100 foot Ethernet cable with your laptop around your home.

Who said anything about dragging a long Ethernet cable? You can use runners to take cables to where laptops and desktops will be 99% of the time. On those odd occasions when the OP is using the laptop elsewhere, he can go wireless but I wouldn't plan on passing a lot of traffic.
FiReSTaRT

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

These covers can be had for like a buck a foot »www.cabletiesandmore.ca/ ··· rkit.php Raceways like these can also work »www.cabletiesandmore.ca/ ··· ways.php If you live in a house and can avoid exterior walls, I'm always more for fish tape and drywall saw

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

When you get married and have a wife calling the shots, you will realize that running cables through your living room and bedroom, even with those cable runners on the floor to protect you from tripping, is simply *not* an option!

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

said by Gone:

When you get married and have a wife calling the shots, you will realize that running cables through your living room and bedroom, even with those cable runners on the floor to protect you from tripping, is simply *not* an option!

I just waited till she was on a business trip and fished most of them through the walls.. She was kinda forced to even help me with finishing the job (even though I had to do all the drywall/paint work).. Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I still have wires hanging in my son's room. I survived her wrath once. I will not do it again.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

said by Gone:

I still have wires hanging in my son's room. I survived her wrath once. I will not do it again.

That's the key.. My wife's wrath was pretty mild because I didn't leave any wires hanging.. With that being said, the bossman and I were up until 3am running a good chunk of that wiring to make sure I had enough time to at least make the bedroom - her sanctuary - look like it never happened. By the time she was back, the worst of it was over, so all she had to do was help me fish some of it through.

I have to admit, she's pretty big on wireless, but then again, over here, when doing a site survey, I can only see 2 wireless networks, one of which is my backup in case the DSL craps out. Of the 3 properties surrounding this one, one is abandoned (sale pending), one doesn't subscribe to this new interwebz fad and one doesn't do wireless. My lappy's connected direct to one of the switches 99% of the time. I just get it on wireless while I'm moving it between my office corner and the living room.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I see 6 APs on a 2.4GHz survey if I include one of the two 2.4GHz APs I run in the house, but have no interference issues at all. Bandwidth intensive stuff is all 5GHz greenfield N with 40MHz channels, which is pretty much a non-issue as far as interference goes and can pull close to 20MB/s across it without issue.
nauru0
join:2011-02-02

nauru0

I tried a bunch of different channels. So far my best result is with channel 9. 109k received, 8k errors. At least it's a big improvement over what it was before.

Another question I have, is how can I simply set every device that is not my PC or my ATA or my phone, to lowest priority on the network? I'm not sure whether I have a fixed IP or not, and I'm really not familiar with the jargon so please could you be as explicit as possible! Thanks.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

If that's the best you can do on 9, you need to move to 5GHz. No way around it.

It might also be worthwhile to consider that there may be a hardware issue with the router. Pick up a refurb E4200 from NCIX. That way you'll be dual band ready if things aren't any better on 2.4GHz with a new router.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

Also could be a compatibility issue between the adapter and the router, in case the adapter has Atheros chipset for example. Too many variables and too prone to interference.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I've had no issues with Atheros cards talking to Broadcom APs and vice-versa. Then again, I wasn't dealing with the same interference levels, either.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

said by Gone:

I've had no issues with Atheros cards talking to Broadcom APs and vice-versa. Then again, I wasn't dealing with the same interference levels, either.

Under normal conditions it's perfectly fine, no issues. My issues came from rf interference caused by poor wiring that I eventually fixed up. BCM-BCM connections were a lot less likely to crap out than BCM-ATH connections.