spc
Search similar:

uniqs

pdogg
@verizon.net

pdogg

Anon

connecting digital cable

We have just lost more channels on standard cable due to TWC going to all digital. If I upgrade to digital cable will I be able to get the digital channels without renting a set top box if tv has QAM tuner ?

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium Member
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY

PCInTech

Premium Member

You will get your missing channels back on the standard tier if your TWC gives you a DTA (Digital adapter) which are free for the next couple of years.

Vertigo
@rr.com

Vertigo to pdogg

Anon

to pdogg
In some markets, notably Los Angeles, Time Warner is offering one standard definition digital receiver at no cost for one year, and $0.99 after. The deal ends 10/15, but it's worth calling in and asking questions. Good luck

TV's with a QAM tuner will get analog channels 2-99, local channels in Digital and/or HD format, and maybe some cable networks in digital such as WGN and The Weather Channel. Unfortunately, the vast majority of digital cable networks are encrypted, so they will not show up without a box.

pdogg
@verizon.net

pdogg to PCInTech

Anon

to PCInTech
I understand that but I figure if I upgrade I can get more channels I just don't want to rent equipment from them . That is where th question of the QAM tuner comes in.

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

QAM tuner will only pickup unencrypted digital channels. Those are probably channels in the lowest level of service. It might get some of the channels that you would get with a DTA if you are lucky. It definitely will not get the channels if you upgrade your service as those channels will obviously be encrypted on your system.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Vertigo

to Vertigo
said by Vertigo :

In some markets, notably Los Angeles, Time Warner is offering one standard definition digital receiver at no cost for one year, and $0.99 after. The deal ends 10/15, but it's worth calling in and asking questions. Good luck

TV's with a QAM tuner will get analog channels 2-99, local channels in Digital and/or HD format, and maybe some cable networks in digital such as WGN and The Weather Channel. Unfortunately, the vast majority of digital cable networks are encrypted, so they will not show up without a box.

my market has:

CSPAN2
CSPAN3

in the clear as they are digital only and part of the limited basic tier

also we get:

EWTN
WGN America
CSPAN
Discovery Channel SD only

in the clear as they are a part of the limited basic tier in North Texas and are also currently analog as well. TWC North Texas encrypts Discovery HD and you have to have a cable box or Cable Card device with a tuning adapter as it is SDV.
Keefer21
join:2012-07-06
Hilton, NY

Keefer21 to pdogg

to pdogg
the qam tuner is only gonna get free network tv channels that you can get over the air.. any programming that has moved from the Analog tier to the digital tier is now encrypted & there is no way around it. Your cheapest option besides a set top box is to rent a cable card from TWC. So to answer your question.. No you cant upgrade to the digital tier service and watch the channels without a cable box or cable card, Even with a tv or device with a Qam tuner.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Keefer21:

the qam tuner is only gonna get free network tv channels that you can get over the air.. any programming that has moved from the Analog tier to the digital tier is now encrypted & there is no way around it. Your cheapest option besides a set top box is to rent a cable card from TWC. So to answer your question.. No you cant upgrade to the digital tier service and watch the channels without a cable box or cable card, Even with a tv or device with a Qam tuner.

this is not true in all markets as anything in the limited basic tier that is a cable network will be clear QAM if the channel goes digital only. My area is carrying CSPAN2 and CSPAN3 in the clear and they were moved to digital only last year.

The entire limited basic tier is clear QAM in most areas not just OTA the channels.

Heck my area had Disney Channel SD in the clear on QAM about 4 years ago before TWC completed the digital simulcast upgrades and 860MHz rebuild in my area.

pdogg
@verizon.net

pdogg to pdogg

Anon

to pdogg
Will a DTA adapter allow me to view encrypted channels?

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium Member
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY

PCInTech

Premium Member

said by pdogg :

Will a DTA adapter allow me to view encrypted channels?

No.