spc
Search similar:

uniqs

canuckdler
@rogers.com

canuckdler

Anon

Rogers 150/10 compatible with SMCD3GN?

I tried upgrading from the 75 meg service to the faster one (150/10) but I was not seeing ANY increase in speed. I specifically asked the rep if I needed a new modem and was told no. I subsequently spoke to another rep who said Hitron was required. I have read conflicting reports about where the SMCD3GN should work with the new service or not.

Can anyone clarify please?

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

Theoretically @38mbps per 6mhz channel your 4x4 SMCD3GN would support 150/10 But, as the guys on here will tell you, for optimum compatibility you need to upgrade to an 8x4 Gateway. Either the Cisco DPC3825 or the Hitron CGN2-ROG.

IMHO it's a bad time to purchase a new Gateway as the new 2013 models will be released soon.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to canuckdler

to canuckdler
It is not compatible. You will need the Hitron or Cisco DPC3825. The system will let you upgrade to the 150/10 tier with the SMC modem because it shares the same product code as the Cisco modem but you will not get the full speed without either the Cisco or Hitron gateway.

elitefx
London, ON

2 edits

elitefx to canuckdler

to canuckdler
Gotta wonder if Rogers is going to financially compensate all those customers who were led to believe that by purchasing a SMCD3GN gateway for $199 and later $149 that their new gateway would allow them access to all Rogers Docsis 3 services.

I myself was assured by a Rogers sales associate here in London back in May that, should I purchase an SMCD3GN, I would have access to the entire Docsis 3 tiers and an upgrade would not be necessary in the near future.

Thankfully, as always, I had thoroughly researched the SMCD3GN prior to my visit to my local Rogers store.

Financial compensation or a full SMCD3GN purchase price refund from Rogers would be the proper course of action when upgrading to a now required 8x4 Gateway.

I mean, it is the right thing to do.........
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by elitefx:

Gotta wonder if Rogers is going to financially compensate all those customers who were led to believe that by purchasing a SMCD3GN gateway for $199 and later $149 that their new gateway would allow them access to all Rogers Docsis 3 services.

The number of Rogers customers who have a purchased SMC Gateway and want to upgrade to New Ultimate will likely be very small. Those with SMC's that are still under warranty can be swapped for the Cisco model as they share the same product code. Even if it's not under warranty, reps can still technically swap it out.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to elitefx

Premium Member

to elitefx
Rogers doesn't care if you bought an older modem. Unless it's a rental, they won't give you compensation of any sort.

elitefx
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx

said by BACONATOR26:

Rogers doesn't care if you bought an older modem. Unless it's a rental, they won't give you compensation of any sort.

Yup. Just another great reason to switch to Rogers for all your broadband needs.......
JAC70
join:2008-10-20
canada

JAC70

said by elitefx:

Yup. Just another great reason to switch to Rogers for all your broadband needs.......

Dude, are you even using any Rogers services? And if so, why? If not, why are you here?
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

said by JAC70:

said by elitefx:

Dude, are you even using any Rogers services? And if so, why? If not, why are you here?

Probably for the same reason a lot of us are on here - we are not happy with Rogers.
JAC70
canada

JAC70

said by Hooter:

Probably for the same reason a lot of us are on here - we are not happy with Rogers.

Nobody is happy with Rogers, but I don't understand why he's still with them.

elitefx
London, ON

2 edits

elitefx

said by JAC70:

Nobody is happy with Rogers, but I don't understand why he's still with them.

The answer is simple. There is no choice. Zero. None. Its either DSL with Bell or broadband with Rogers. The TPIAs leech off the Rogers network so they are not an option either.

IMHO DSL will be dead in the water in the coming years. Common sense says broadband is the way to go. Unfortunately in southwestern Ontario Rogers maintains the only broadband network. It's either Rogers broadband or no broadband.

Trust me, the day a new quality discrete broadband network accesses SW Ontario thousands of beleaguered Rogers internet customers will be jumping ship pronto.

Glad to be of help........

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit

mozerd

MVM

said by elitefx:

The answer is simple. There is no choice. Zero. None.

xDSL is a choice --- not a good one but it is a CHOICE!
said by elitefx:

Its either DSL with Bell or broadband with Rogers. The TPIAs leech off the Rogers network so they are not an option either.

You may not like the CHOICE --- and I nor the goal post next me like this choice ---- but its still a choice!
said by elitefx:

Trust me, the day a new quality discrete broadband network accesses SW Ontario thousands of beleaguered Rogers internet customers will be jumping ship pronto.

The cost to provide an alternate broadband service is prohibitive
in your market because the population density would not justify the kind of INVESTMENT required. So You will have to wait a very long time perhaps much longer than your time on this planet under current technology mechanism's.
JAC70
canada

JAC70 to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:
The answer is simple. There is no choice. Zero. None. Its either DSL with Bell or broadband with Rogers. The TPIAs leech off the Rogers network so they are not an option either.
Disliking DSL does not mean there is no choice. If you were prepared to stand on the strength of your convictions, there are other DSL providers than Bell in London. To name a few...SwitchWorks, Start Communications, Falcon, Execulink Telecom, etc etc.
quote:
IMHO DSL will be dead in the water in the coming years. Common sense says broadband is the way to go.
Perhaps. It won't go away without some type of replacement, so how is staying with a provider you hate common sense? Unless you just like playing the martyr.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by JAC70:

Unless you just like playing the martyr.

Personal attacks and sarcasm. Otherwise known as cyber-bullying. The tools of some individuals with nothing intelligent to contribute to a thread........Pathetic.

Arthur Winsl
@rogers.com

Arthur Winsl to canuckdler

Anon

to canuckdler
I have conducted thorough testing on SMC D3GN and was able to sustain steady speeds in the 140mbit range. In saying that, I do not think it would be a wise idea to even bother with this modem if you are even lucky enough to get support to put your D3GN on the 150/10 tier.
afterburn999
join:2010-09-12
Scarborough, ON

afterburn999 to elitefx

to elitefx
I'm not trying to hijack the topic or anything but which modem should i get when i make the switch? The Hitron or the Cisco?
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by afterburn999:

I'm not trying to hijack the topic or anything but which modem should i get when i make the switch? The Hitron or the Cisco?

The modem portion of the Hitron and Cisco is nearly identical in performance and reliability. The wireless capability on the Hitron is supposed to be better, but real world experience tells us otherwise. If you have no use for the wireless capabilities, save yourself some money and get the Cisco.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

........Pathetic.

At least you can own up to yourself.