lotusracer
Premium
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Voxxjin

Re: The Walking Dead

hope none of you take the shot THIS seriously!

The Walking Stupid! Long Island man arrested after shooting girlfriend over argument about possibility of zombie apocalypse like one on TV's 'The Walking Dead'

Jared Gurman took his concerns about the pending zombie apocalypse a little too seriously.

»www.nydailynews.com/new-york/lon···.1213739
--
Humanity - The greatest natural disaster of all time.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Voxxjin

While I did enjoy this last episode quite a bit I have an issue with one small part of it.

Michonne going after the Governor didn’t make much sense IMO. In the book her motives were clear since the Governor did some gruesome things to her directly. In the series though, the Governor didn’t do much to Michonne even by proxy.

Merle Dixon was the one who forcibly brought Michonne and Andrea to Woodbury.

Merle Dixon was the one who tracked her like an animal with the intention of killing her once she left Woodbury.

The stealth operation / incursion into Woodbury that eventually went sideways was again due to the actions of Merle Dixon (abducting Glenn and Maggie).

Merle did not explicitly say the Governor sent them to kill her he only implied it,....vaguely,.... and it wasn’t really crystal clear whether she overheard it or not. Either way Merle has been much more of a problem for her then the Governor.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Octavean:

While I did enjoy this last episode quite a bit I have an issue with one small part of it.

Michonne going after the (spoiler)

Good points. My take:

However, Michonne was suspicious of the governor from the get-go, and her suspicions increased with every piece of data that she gathered, such as finding the bullet holes in the National Guard vehicles, and the Governor's weird diary. So her focus on him could be partially based on his position as leader.

Besides that, perhaps Michonne had a special grudge against the Governor because he "stole" Andrea from her.

--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Octavean

said by Octavean:

Michonne going after the (spoiler)

I agree with you on this. It seemed odd as well to me for the same reasons.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to Octavean

But Merle was following orders from the Gov. He was simply the tool, the Gov was the one in control of everything, even though Merle wasn't good at following those orders

Or it could also have been because he took Andrea away from her like SixOfNine said, seems like she was close to her and saddened and angry at losing her maybe she had a thing for her, kinda like a jilted lover. I think Michonne is tired of being alone as well ,she practically beg Rick to let her stay with the group.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

beavercable
Premium
join:2008-05-11
Beaverton, OR
reply to Octavean

I disagree. I think she figured the Governor as the master of woodbury where nothing happened there without his say so.

Grimm

join:2011-05-23
reply to Octavean

I'm pretty sure, if given the chance, she'd take off Merle's head. However, the Gov. rules about leaving, "stealing" Andrea, he's in charge, and the fact that she knew where he would be at some point is why it makes sense to me she'd go after him.

Also, he's a dick.
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Voxxjin

I didn’t think of the Andrea angle.

I don’t really see the Governor as someone who stole Andrea away. Andrea is an adult making her own decisions. Andrea opted to stay and ultimately Michonne opted to leave. If anything Michonne left Andrea not the other way around. Andrea had not escalated her relationship with the Governor until some time after Michonne left (IIRC) and the attraction to Woodbury itself, a quasi walker free utopian society, seemed to be the main motivating factor at that time for staying.

Michonne was a complex character in the book. She was no longer good with people and had taken to talking to herself, which, seemed like a sign of mental stress or becoming somewhat unhinged (a scarcely explored theme in the TV series). Michonne may have wanted Andrea’s companionship but ultimately I think she was just as likely to sever ties with her as she was with her pets. Speaking of which her relationship with her pets run about as deep as the Governor’s relationship with penny. So if she could cut her pets down with little to no provocation (something the Governor couldn’t do with Penny) then she should be able to end her relationship with Andrea at the gates of Woodbury just as easily.

However, assuming such thinking is a factor, hostility about the end of her relationship with Andrea could have just as easily been directed at Andrea herself. So why not attack Andrea too when she entered the room?

Grimm

I understand what you're saying, but you have to look at it from Michonne's perspective not your own. Doing that you should be able to see that she feels the Governor manipulated Andrea to stay; to feel safe. Which would be why she would go after him and not Andrea.

I've not read the books/comics, but from threads on here and elsewhere, they are different in many ways. So it's not hard to believe that the mind of a character in each differs.
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

beavercable
Premium
join:2008-05-11
Beaverton, OR
reply to Octavean

When Michonne left Woodbury I think she knew someone would come for her. Her message in the woods made out of a walker that said "go back" told me she had been tracking Merle and company for a while.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

said by beavercable:

When Michonne left Woodbury I think she knew someone would come for her. Her message in the woods made out of a walker that said "go back" told me she had been tracking Merle and company for a while.

Naturally she had to know that it wouldn’t have made much sense for them to just let her walk out with the knowledge of Woodbury‘s location. When Merle brought Michonne and Andrea to Woodbury they were blindfolded as a precaution. Releasing her any other way other then blindfolded at the downed helicopter results in everyone (man, woman or child) in Woodbury having a vested interest in her death,…lest she come back and rain fire on them,...... which in part she did,....

Rick and his group were faced with a similar situation last season at Hershel farm with a captive from a rival group of unknown location and size (could have been Woodbury). A situation Shane ultimately took care of. Dale was the only one I recall being adamantly against it.

What we know as viewers of the show, Michonne doesn’t necessarily know as a character so we shouldn’t get that confused.

What I have been saying is that there was no “Ah-ha” moment before this, no real effort to make it crystal clear what Michonne knows. Take note that there seemed to be such a moment when Michonne looked at the pilot’s head in the tank and when she took Penny’s hood off but all this was “after” she had resigned to campout at the Governors home to kill him. Everything else leading up to that moment was circumstantial and barely worthy of vague suspicion on Michonne’s part. The only exception would be Merle‘s comment which wasn’t explicit or clear that she even overheard it (since she just ran off at a distance). If they had shot the scene in a similar way as Glenn and Maggie’s abduction and gave Michonne a close-up to show the recognition in her eyes and her proximity to overhear it would have been more definitive. However they didn’t so it comes off as muddy.

Take note that Michonne had ample opportunity to remove the Governors head when she had her katana at his throat just before leaving Woodbury. I think she was perfectly capable of pulling it off (no pun intended) and getting away. So it makes sense that it would be something after this event that triggered the response.

What I am saying is yes the Governor is a jerk but Michonne had no real idea of the scope of it. Bullets and blood on a military vehicle that has likely seen combat is evidence of nothing. The Governor keeping Penny is no different then Hershel keeping his walker wife and other walkers in the barn or Michonne keeping her pets. And so on,….

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Grimm

said by Grimm:

I understand what you're saying, but you have to look at it from Michonne's perspective not your own. Doing that you should be able to see that she feels the Governor manipulated Andrea to stay; to feel safe. Which would be why she would go after him and not Andrea.

I've not read the books/comics, but from threads on here and elsewhere, they are different in many ways. So it's not hard to believe that the mind of a character in each differs.

Actually I am looking at it from the Michonne character’s perspective but there is an interaction between characters so more then one perspective is to be had. Take note that Woodbury “is” a safe place or at least it is safe from walkers (as much as any place can be safe from walkers) and this is what initially made staying an enticing option for Andrea. So there is no slight of hand there in this respect, no trickery or manipulation. Andrea said this to Michonne at the gates of Woodbury before she left, citing the attributes of Woodbury and the drudgery of life outside the gates (making no mention of the Governor). Michonne rejected Woodbury out of hand and wanted to leave from the word go probably because she is well adapted to the new environment the zombie apocalypse affords.

And once again the relationship between Andrea and the Governor had not yet developed at that point,…

I don’t really subscribe to the idea that Michonne would attempt to kill the Governor over feelings of being slighted by Andrea. This would make her psychotic and a potential liability around almost any group of people given the unpredictable social dynamics.

Such dynamics have sort of played out before though between Rick, Shane and Lori. The villain in this was clearly Shane because he conspired and attempted to kill his friend Rick (in no small part due to wanting Lori). I don’t see Michonne as a Shane like character.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Voxxjin

1 - I liked Shane and while he did some $h!++y things, he cared about the group and was willing to make the hard choices -- the same choices Rick began to make.

2 - I know in the books, the Governor is truly an evil character but not so much in the TV series. Sure, he's a self serving @$$ but in many respects he did what Rick couldn't -- built a place where people are for the most part safe. His only "evil" was killing the armed forces guys for their ammo and supplies but who knows what happened to that encounter. Maybe he is concerned about bandits and people with guns abusing their authority like the folks Rick ran into when they went to look for Hershel in the town bar.

3 - Michone ... great character but definitely a few cards short of a deck at this point. Then again, in that world, who wouldn't be?
--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Voxxjin

Who is ready for tonights episode?
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Somerset, NJ

said by Jackarino:

Uh, the mid series finale was last week. You gotta wait till February.
--
What smells like blue?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

ik lol. i wanted to see who thought there was actually a new episode tonight
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
Sout Joisy
reply to Omega

said by Omega:

said by Jackarino:

Uh, the mid series finale was last week. You gotta wait till February.

--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Voxxjin

I think what the writers are trying to do is blur the lines between right and wrong. This is somewhat like Rick and Shane both having the group’s best interests at heart but having very different ways and ideas of accomplishing goals.

It’s the only excuse I can think of for watering down the Governor’s character from a psychotic, homicidal, sadistic serial rapist to a personable, clean cut, megalomaniac (seemingly) that could be mistaken for an all around nice guy. I mean its either that or they didn’t think they could get this part of the original work past the network or they thought the fans of the show wouldn’t be very receptive to the original work in that respect.

I believe that there were other publications beyond the comic books in which the Governor had a little more back-story. I didn’t read them but I recall hearing about the Governor liberating the town of Woodbury from paramilitary control. So there my be some past bad blood that motivated the attack on the National Guard troops. Not really sure but weapons are powerful tools and you are taking quite a chance by assuming an armed group is friendly. Woodbury could have been victimized by those troops if their location were compromised or those troops could have been a great asset (like Michonnes rear-end ).

One thing is for sure though, these two groups, Woodbury and the Prison, have collided. They each know the location of the other groups base of operations. Woodbury is likely better armed with their ill-gotten military gear and the Governor is likely highly motivated after losing an eye. The prison has virtually no dead weight consisting of a group of post zombie apocalypse battle hardened bada$$e$,.......
Come get some!!!

Lets get readyyyyyyyyy to rummmmmmmmble

lotusracer
Premium
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 edit
reply to Voxxjin

some new Walking Dead news. about season four and more:

»www.aintitcool.com/node/60142

more here:

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/2···214.html

--
Humanity - The greatest natural disaster of all time.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Voxxjin

February 10 th 2013 seems so far off,.........

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by Octavean:

Not anymore!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCtXYFp9kJ8

--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
Sout Joisy

Yep one more week. Wife and I can't wait.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to Voxxjin

Counting down the days! It's going to be an exciting season!!
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to SixOfNine

said by SixOfNine:

said by Octavean:

Not anymore!

(youtube clip)

Still seems far off to me,......but I was fine with it until you brought it up,....LOL,....just kidding,...

I'm having fun watching Spartacus and Banshee. Very good diversions indeed,...

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
reply to Voxxjin

Just a quick bump to remind everyone that the dead are back this Sunday.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Grimm

NOM NOM NOM

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to Voxxjin

Who dies next?

Any bets?

I hope it's Carl. Please let it be him.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Grimm

said by Grimm:

NOM NOM NOM

Are those brains you are munching on?
--