share rss forum feed

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Varlik

Re: The Walking Dead

Well in that case the extended stay on the farm qualifies for what you are saying. In other words it arguably already happened to this series.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Voxxjin

One thing I don't get is, why don't they wear more clothes? Clearly the only way to get infected is to be bitten (or shot?). Why don't they double up on heavy clothing. That way it's harder for the zombies to get to the skin. They're wearing the same clothes 6 months later. Summer to winter? Take the shit off the zombies and wear it. You kill 600 of them an episode so there is plenty to choose from.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Fir_Na_Tine

said by Fir_Na_Tine:

I read an article saying imagine how much more the numbers would be if it were on one of the big 3 networks.

They wouldn't get away with the gore and detailed makeup and the deaths. That's probably the only reason this show is popular. Sure as hell isn't cause of the acting.
--

Varlik
Without Honor You Will Never Be Free
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Anderson, SC
reply to Octavean

Somewhat but they still came together at the end. It wasn't IMO as bad as Heroes second season. I will say that it's the only non animation, cartoon, anime based show on my DVR list that I really look forward to as of late.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

One thing I don't get is, why don't they wear more clothes? Clearly the only way to get infected is to be bitten (or shot?). Why don't they double up on heavy clothing. That way it's harder for the zombies to get to the skin.

Oh I agree. I would probably be wearing thicker clothing or some sort of 'armor' whether it be football pads or fashioning actual metal bracers and such.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy

said by Voxxjin:

said by Alcohol:

One thing I don't get is, why don't they wear more clothes? Clearly the only way to get infected is to be bitten (or shot?). Why don't they double up on heavy clothing. That way it's harder for the zombies to get to the skin.

Oh I agree. I would probably be wearing thicker clothing or some sort of 'armor' whether it be football pads or fashioning actual metal bracers and such.

I think they make mention of it in the last episode. You see them holding up the armor and helmets, Rick I think asks if they want to wear it and its all slimy and gooey. And Daryl says no way, and besides we've come this far without it.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Fir_Na_Tine:

said by Voxxjin:

said by Alcohol:

And Daryl says no way, and besides we've come this far without it.

That's some dumb logic. Especially considering how many people they've lost. Poor writing.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Varlik

said by Varlik:

Somewhat but they still came together at the end. It wasn't IMO as bad as Heroes second season.

Which is why I said arguably. I think it came together at the end of last season too (for the most part) but I’m guessing not everyone would agree. I might just have gotten a little too caught up in the barn fire scene which was great. I do think they tried to cover a little too much in that last episode of the last season though.

IMO, Heroes had nowhere to go after the first season. It seemed to me like they just rebooted the show and somehow managed to make it significantly less interesting overall.

said by Alcohol:

One thing I don't get is, why don't they wear more clothes? Clearly the only way to get infected is to be bitten (or shot?). Why don't they double up on heavy clothing. That way it's harder for the zombies to get to the skin. They're wearing the same clothes 6 months later. Summer to winter? Take the shit off the zombies and wear it. You kill 600 of them an episode so there is plenty to choose from.

You might want to go back and watch the last episode of last season. They already covered this subject somewhat.

As always, don’t read the redacted bits if you don’t want to know the answer to your question but,…

Rick explained that when they were in the CDC, Doctor Jenner revealed to him that any death results in becoming a zombie regardless of how you died. Therefore presumably they have all been exposed to something worldwide. The only way around this fate is a death involving damage to the head similar to a zombie kill. Being bitten by a zombie is fatal but all non-head injury related deaths results in becoming a zombie.

There clues to this in that season leading up to the reveal.

This is also why in the premiere Lori, Rick’s Wife, was telling Hershel that she was worried about her unborn baby being stillborn, becoming a zombie and eating his / her way out.

That’s the TV series version. In the book they found out at the prison due to a series of none zombie related deaths whereby the victims came back as zombies.

As for the clothing question, the group started to use prison uniforms of which there were many or at least this was the case in the book. Naturally the prison guard riot gear we have already seen was and will be used to help protect them when dealing with zombies.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI

Since if you're read the books, i'm curious. Does it have an ending? I don't want to know what it is, just that it has one.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

No ending so far. I just bought issue 103 on my iPad a few minutes ago.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Fir_Na_Tine

said by Fir_Na_Tine:

I think they make mention of it in the last episode. You see them holding up the armor and helmets, Rick I think asks if they want to wear it and its all slimy and gooey. And Daryl says no way, and besides we've come this far without it.

Well I don't think anyone would want to wear a helmet that is still dripping from a zombie's face. Hello, wash it out first then maybe someone would wear it. But even before then they could have gotten better protective clothing from other places.
--

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Voxxjin

We need an official rule for zombie TV shows:

You're only allowed to use the "Oh, this zombie is dead, I'll just walk by without giving him/her a head shot" trick once in the entire series.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

If I recall correctly,…

The fit had already hit the shan at that point and the group that was trying to work inward / clear a new area of the prison had already been overwhelmed by superior numbers of zombies. So I think at that point they were already on the run. I could be wrong though I guess I could watch that part again. I agree that a quick whack to the head would have been prudent.

I personally take more issue with Dale’s death last season. Dale was bitten by a zombie that seemingly popped out of nowhere in the middle of an open field.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Octavean:

If I recall correctly,…

(spoiler)

Your are correct, but:

They had walked by that female walker earlier (and the way they shot that portion of the scene made me think that she might pull a jack-in-the-box later), and had plenty of opportunity to apply a prophylactic head impalement.

I agree with you about Dale's death. It leads me to rule #2 of zombie drama: no zombie should be able to sneak up from behind on a healthy human.

--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
reply to Octavean

I think there were a few comments on the sudden appearance of stealth zombies when that happened.

UnknownFact
Premium
join:2004-02-08

You mean Ninja zombies? Sounds like a new B-rated movie coming to Syfy. Sadly that was the first thing to pop into my head after seeing that scene.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Voxxjin

I thought last night's episode was pretty good. Seeing a new side of Rick. So far I am liking this season a lot.

I didn't expect what Rick did after Tomas threw a walker on him. I also didn't expect Rick to leave the one dude out there in the courtyard as 'fast food'. I kinda feel like Rick is truly going into survival mode where all he wants to do is keep the group safe---damn everyone else. Makes me wonder how he would have reacted when they first found the farm last seaon if he was this way then.

Oh I see Carl is back up to his tricks just sneaking off. At least now he actually can use a gun (and apparantly pretty well).

OK how many of you thought hersel turned when he was being given CPR?

Wonder if we will ever see the other convicts again?

--

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI

Stupid Carl. Stop being a dumbass and the show gets so much better.
Good to see the mom finally admit that she's a shitty wife/mother.
--

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to Voxxjin

I think white guy will join the group, possibly the other guy as well.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Voxxjin

I just started watching the show and am now caught up with Seasons 1 & 2 and the first two episodes of season 3. This is a great show. I wish I caught it earlier.

As it relates to the events of the first two seasons:

Shane was a selfish jack@$$ but he was right in some instances. I don't know about the comic but I think Shane really thought Rick was dead or beyond help -- he tried to block the door to Rick's room which may have saved him.

It seemed like Shane was cracking under all the pressure (head banging against the tree after he killed that guy in the woods). I wonder if the Z-virus itself had anything to do with it. He did return pretty quickly after Rick killed him.

I am going to miss the guy driving the Winnebago. I thought he was wrong in wanting to see the guy they captured from town go unharmed but he was planning on rejoining his group and doing god-knows-what type of evil. Still, he was like your favorite uncle and gave the group a sense of family feeling.

Lastly, -- I was wondering if Rick is immune to the Z-virus. If he really died and came back. Reading on the internet others have disputed that but still I wonder.

--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Voxxjin

Voxxjin See Profile]

Rick is becoming more like Shane. I totally expected Rick or even Daryl to kill Tomas after that. I'm just surprised they had a bit of dialog first.

I also thought the same about Hershel during the CPR. No way I would've done that, that's almost asking to die.

--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Voxxjin

From a technical standpoint, I feel like the story is ultimately about Rick and how he changes over time. Everyone else is a bit player with order of importance in relation to their position to Rick but they also lend credibility to the storyline, flesh out the cast and provide cannon fodder.

So yeah, Rick is changing and this is necessary for his survival as well as the survival of the group. That does not mean he is turning into Shane though. Under the circumstances Rick was justified with dealing with the inmate problem right away. The first inmate in question clumsily attempted to kill Rick twice in quick succession and tried to play it off (badly) like an accident. Everyone knew it was no accident and no good would come from letting it slide in those closed quarters. The second inmate didn’t seem interested in letting the way Rick handled the situation slide (in the book the two inmates were lovers).

Ironically they are in a prison and I think the old Rick would have simply locked up the two inmates rather then kill them (or effectively killed in the case of the second inmate). There is still an issue of trust with the remaining inmates though. After all they were in prison for a reason. I think we will see more of them. I’ll also just add that I don’t recall seeing the second inmate die so if he somehow scaled the wall and got away that could be a problem.

One thing that seems to be missing is the very dark element of mental illness that was looming in the storyline at this point. It was also a reoccurring theme. Its too early to say if this will be addressed in the series or not but I suspect that it will. Unfortunately they don’t have the tools at this point to address it adequately IMO. Carl had other kids around (a set of twins and Sophia) and there was some really sad and sick stuff surrounding the younger members of the group with respect to how the apocalypse effected developing young minds. This has all been given a pass though so far.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Voxxjin

Octavean:

The second inmate was heard screaming in pain after Rick locks the gate and shuts the door. He's dead ... either completely or in the walker sense.

One more thought ... and perhaps this is addressed in the books.

Are the Zombies that haven't eaten in some time weaker and not as able to run after victims?

I also know the book is about the people, not the 'event', but thinking about what we learned at the CDC -- it would seem that killing zombies would need a brain stem shot, not just a headshot, to effectively kill them. It would make it way to difficult to kill off zombies in the series though.

I am going to have to get the comics... am trying hard to wait until season 3 is over.
--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

I recall hearing the screams I just prefer to see it to be completely sure. In theory one could presumably kill a room full of zombies after having been bitten and amputate the infected limb. The inmate did see Rick remove Hershel’s leg after all. Its all a matter of luck, skill and how much one wants to live.

Not sure about the zombies themselves though. There are zombies that are more spry then others but I am not sure what goes into that. Damaged limbs would slow them down for sure. Anyway, there are lurkers (like the one that got Hershel in the series and Dale in the book) and there are walkers. Lurkers seem less mobile and seem content to lay in wait. Maybe they are less fresh (older), not sure.

Cutting off the zombies head doesn’t kill them though. You would think it would but it doesn’t. It incapacitates the body but the head can still bite.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Voxxjin

Another item from the last episode, when the one lady (short hair--i forget her name) is practicing her surgical skills, the camera shot is from some trees nearby. It is shot in a way to make you think that someone is watching her. I wonder who that will be?

And cutting off the head doesn't kill them. In a previous episode Michonne hack a head off at the neck. You see the head fall to the floor and roll around. It is still trying to bite and look around but it obviously can't move.
--

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Fir_Na_Tine

said by Fir_Na_Tine:

I think white guy will join the group, possibly the other guy as well.

The old guy? I think he's faking the crying. He seems like he was the mastermind behind it all.
I wonder how he's going to survive. They didn't let him keep half the food now, did they?
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

I think Rick will keep to the original deal and there shouldn’t be any problems as long as they keep their end (stay to their side of the prison or block).

Hershel already stated that he had plans to start planting crops and their food supply there will eventually run out anyway.

They could renegotiate for more food though.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Voxxjin

I've been thinking about this for a few days. As far as i can tell the prisoners were taken out of their cells and shot.

1. How would they become zombies if they were inside the cage? Nobody bit them. I know they're all infected but it doesn't make sense for all them to turn at the same time.
2. How did you get them to all be in the same position?

3. How were they not coming after whoever was shooting at them?

Also brings up another question. If someone is alive and is shot in the head, do they still turn but aren't able to move? Or do they die in the human form and not turn?
--

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to PhoenixDown

said by PhoenixDown:

Lastly, -- I was wondering if Rick is immune to the Z-virus. If he really died and came back. Reading on the internet others have disputed that but still I wonder.

$Fontbg

That's interesting cause i always wondered how he was kept alive without food and someone cleaning his piss/shit. He was alone in the hospital for months, right? The tubes can't have that much food/water.
--

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Alcohol

Can't say how they all turned but from that scene I took it to be:
They turned to zombies. Some of the guards learned how to kill them. Then the guards opened the doors one at a time. As the zombies came out of the cell they were shot or smashed in the head.

And I believe that if a human is killed by a shot to the head the are just plain dead. There is no brain left for the virus to take over.
--