share rss forum feed

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
reply to Snakeoil

Re: The Walking Dead

It was the final episode of the second season when Rick finally tells the group they are all infected. So like you said once you die you become zombified.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4

That's interesting. Makes me wonder how it'll all end then. Can't have that many survives left if everyone becomes a zombie. Even the people dying from old age.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

And there doesn’t seem to be a lot of fornication either. So replacing the living population seems unlikely,...

Still the books that the series is based on are far ahead of where they are now in the current season and there is no “end” in sight that I can see.

lotusracer
Premium
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

reply to Voxxjin

ha!

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
reply to Voxxjin

Merle!

SixOfNine
Premium
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Voxxjin

So why did Merle kill the National Guardsmen? Because he's nuts (quite a hobby room he has there)? Or was it a cold-hearted logistical calculation? Or something in between?
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

You mean the Governor don't you not Merle.

In the books, the Governor seemed to be normal on the surface for a very short time but it quickly went to a very ugly and sick place. He seemed incapable of having a normal relationship due to his sick impulses which is why I found it odd that he had a woman in his bed at the end there.

They may play it differently in the series because I don't know how they can air some of the things that were in the book implied or otherwise.

SixOfNine
Premium
Sterling, VA

Oops, yes, I meant the Governor.
--

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Denver, CO
reply to Voxxjin

I found it interesting that they stated the zombies are starving, they just starve slower than humans. This means that eventually a zombie will die without food.
--
What smells like blue?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Voxxjin

Very interesting episode tonight

Sorry to see Tdog and Lori go
--
Romney - Ryan 2012

beavercable
Premium
join:2008-05-11
Beaverton, OR

Wow.....nobody's safe.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

Rick is losing it

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to Jackarino

I'm glad Lori is gone. T Dog I wished they kept around.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

1 edit

Same about Tdog

What about those prisoners? I think Rick should keep them around. Especially after that one guy shot the other guy who started the siren.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
reply to Voxxjin

Wow. Didn't see most of that coming.

I wonder how Rick will feel because he let the one convict 'go'. If he would have killed him, things would be much different.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Voxxjin

This was a really interesting episode.

I kind of feel they went off the reservation a little with it but it was entertaining. Long time characters from the beginning of the series died showing them the reality of the world they live in. No one is safe.

Carol is MIA BTW,….

Rick has got to be thinking that he must be more proactive when dealing with threats like Andrew (the convict saboteur). Had he killed Andrew himself when he had the chance (instead of leaving him to the zombies) there wouldn’t have been that level of uncertainty and comeuppance.

Lori’s death is ultimately on Rick’s head here, although, I feel like her death in the book had more meaning and impact.

What I feel is missing from the show at this point is the psychological impact on the characters. They actually spent a fair amount of time addressing the fractured minds of the characters in the book and it was particularly disheartening to see this in the children. It was also a recurring theme. It really is too bad the series couldn’t capture this but they may be trying to go in this direction by having Carl kill his mother.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to Voxxjin

Noooo t dog noooo.. He died for no reason. But that's pretty much his whole character.

Glad Lori is gone though. The kid needs to go now and it'll become a decent show.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to Voxxjin

Carol is MIA

djlar

join:2009-04-23

I hope Carol doesn't become another Sophia and ruin the season that is going so great right now..

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Voxxjin

I’m actually sorry to see T-Dog go but the writers weren’t doing much with the character anyway so its almost as if they had killed him off way in advance of this. T-Dog wasn’t in the book and neither were the Dixon brothers. I think it was a missed opportunity for the writers to kill off T-Dog before a reckoning / reunion with Merle.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

said by Octavean:

I’m actually sorry to see T-Dog go but the writers weren’t doing much with the character anyway so its almost as if they had killed him off way in advance of this.

I agree. they never had him do much and had expected him to die long ago.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Voxxjin

In the book it was Rick, Glen and Michonne that went to Woodbury. The Governor looked like a hell’s Angle gang member. Within short order Rick had his right hand cut off by the Governor. Glen was mentally tortured by the Governor. Michonne was physically tortured and brutally raped (at the same time) by the Governor,..... repeatedly.

They also had zombie fights at Woodbury. Basically it was like a Roman arena but instead of wild animals they had zombies chained to posts in a ring. In the middle two combatants would fight. All the towns people would come out to watch. No outsider would mistaken Woodbury for a good place to live,….not for long anyway,….

Michonne got her pound of flesh before escaping Woodbury though. Taking the Governors left eye, fingernails, arm and supposedly his genitals. She was interrupted or she certainly would have killed him.

The last episode had a lot of action but it feels like they are dancing around some of the hard stuff. I just hope the writers are willing and able to go to the places the book was brave enough to go.

Right now, in the TV series, Michonne hasn’t had much opportunity to show off her skill set and Andrea is an oblivious deadweight that doesn’t seem to have any ability to survive (whereas in the book she was as much of a bada$$ alpha female as Michonne). Almost nothing of note has happened at Woodbury in the TV series.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Yeah I know there are differences between the written version and the TV version. It is not like Game of Thrones. I wonder if it is done out of convience or if the creator had second thoughts after publishing or if it was just decided that they would just use the basic storyline and alter it for better TV entertainment.

And yeah I have been disappointed that we haven't seen Michonne unleashed more.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

Right but often when they diverge from the book they course correct the best they can. For example Hershel was the most senior member of the group so it was him that took Dales place in losing his leg due to a zombie bite.

Carl had Sophia in the book and still does. In the prison they interacted a lot but this has been reduced to meaningful glances at Beth, Hershel’s youngest daughter.

Although some changes don’t make sense. For example, Maggie is now the prisons resident alpha female. She helped clear the prison and presumably was the first to kill a walker with riot gear on. However, she stopped Glenn from a specific job she thought was too dangerous when they first entered the prison (securing an inner gate), instead letting Rick do it. Yet she let Hershel help clear the inner prison where he sustained his injuries and before that she was fighting side by side with Glenn in the second push into the prison. It’s a bit of a conflict.

Some changes are great though. For example the herd overrunning Hershel’s farm was brilliant in the TV series. In the book it just seemed like Rick and Hershel butting heads is what prompted the move. Which, was very anticlimactic, then Rick just invites Hershel to the prison. Not really sure why unless it was to get Glenn back since he stayed at the farm with Maggie.

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY
reply to Voxxjin

I noticed the Governor made mention of his daughter, maybe they will stick to that part of the comic.
--
Any it new they in one. You here for mine you here.
-JV

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

Yeah, I keep expecting a little zombie girl to pop up out of a corner.

I’m just concerned that what ultimately happens at Woodbury in the series will amount to little more then The Governor making advances towards Andrea who seems into him anyway. What happened at Woodbury in the books was downright tragic and traumatic,…..sick even. At this point it just seems like the writers are downplaying it for the sake of the kids in the audience or for the sake of the squeamish.

When I was reading this in the books it was like watching a horror movie through your fingers and Woodbury in the TV series so far seems like a trip to Disneyland,….

SixOfNine
Premium
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Voxxjin

I finally had a chance to watch this on the DVR. I haven't read the books, so I have nothing to compare the TV series to.

The birth/death was very intense and moving, especially Lori's farewell to Carl -- thirty seconds in which he became a boy and his mother's son again.
--

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY
reply to Octavean

They have been pretty good so far with the the story, not being exactly the same but keeping most of the major plot lines... I'm willing to bet they will show some bad stuff in Woodbury. They have stated already that Rick won't lose his hand on the show.
--
Any it new they in one. You here for mine you here.
-JV

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

I suspect something bad will happen at Woodbury too but there are degrees of what can be considered bad. I don't have a problem with change but I do have a small problem with how PG-13 the events have been at Woodbury thus far,....small problem mind you,....

I say this because taboo subjects like rape, torture and mutilation are easy and tempting for a network to sidestep

If the writers are going to take the easy way out at every turn are they really being true to the work?

Anyway we'll see what heppens next week,....

Either way I'm sure ill enjoy it.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

I suspect that they started woodbury off tame and only a little later will we see more. More of a shock factor. We have seen some teasings of it but I think it is more to make you wonder.
--