Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to OHSrob

Premium Member

to OHSrob

Re: High proportion of packet errors over wireless network

said by OHSrob:

Use channel 1 or 2, Tomato clearly indicates the mid to second half of the band is a write off.

That makes zero sense at all. The loudest APs his router can hear are on channels 1 and 4, which would kill the lower part of the band, not upper. The APs on 6 and 11, comparatively speaking, are quiet.
OHSrob
join:2011-06-08

OHSrob

said by Gone:

said by OHSrob:

Use channel 1 or 2, Tomato clearly indicates the mid to second half of the band is a write off.

That makes zero sense at all. The loudest APs his router can hear are on channels 1 and 4, which would kill the lower part of the band, not upper. The APs on 6 and 11, comparatively speaking, are quiet.

You didn't look at the noise floor measurements.

Also all a router does when nobody is using the internet is just send a SSID broadcast ever 150ms.

You could have 30 routers on the same channel around you with no users on it not doing anything or one router where the user is hammering the connection 24/7 with bit torrent.

You can bet the ap's where the most intensive thing happening on them is posting on facebook once or twice a day will not impact the connection.

If you have more free airtime you don't need as many re-transmit's.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I'd like to see his own noise floor on each channel. I don't think things would be all too great with loud APs so low in the band. Even though the upper band may be noisy, his own AP may manage to drown it out on proximity alone, that's why I said 8.