Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

Re: Hybrid-electric water heaters

Thanks again for all the replies.

After looking over everything, I am still considering going with two of the GE hybrid units. Lowes sells an extended warranty, and I'll go with it to cover any potential repair issues. Since there are two units, even if one dies I won't be completely without hot water...

Since both existing units are in rooms that are adjacent to the garage, I am looking at the feasibility of installing the new units in the garage. The supplemental cooling effect from the two units should cool the garage down nicely. Also, it will be no problem setting up the condensate drains as well to go right out to the flower beds out front.

Putting them in the garage will also free up space in the rooms the existing water heaters are located. This will make my wife happy as she wants to put some kind of shelves/cabinets in the laundry room
It will make me happy because I'll be able to store more stuff in the outside storage room where the 2nd water heater is currently located.

Also, if one of them blows out and starts leaking water the damage will be zero in the garage with block walls and a concrete floor. I once had a water heater spring a leak up top that sprayed right into the drywall behind the unit. The fact that it was sitting in a pan meant nothing. The pinhole leak sprayed the wall like a urine stream and ran down onto the floor. I had to replace a mess of soaked drywall.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby

I have had a GE heat pump water for a few years now, I use it in the mixed mode. So most of the time it operates in heat pump mode, but when there is a high water demand it switches to regular resistive heat mode. The unit beeps to remind you to clean the air filter.

Why do you need two of them?
Remember that you'll need a drain line, as it also acts as a dehumidifier and an AC unit.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

said by toby:

I have had a GE heat pump water for a few years now, I use it in the mixed mode. So most of the time it operates in heat pump mode, but when there is a high water demand it switches to regular resistive heat mode. The unit beeps to remind you to clean the air filter.

Why do you need two of them?
Remember that you'll need a drain line, as it also acts as a dehumidifier and an AC unit.

The house has two water heaters now due to the design and layout. Both need to be replaced.